Conditions in the Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For your days on Key Largo, monitor the wx at Molasses Reef tower--water temp and winds mostly--single digit winds are GOOD. Down toward KW, consider Looe Key dives a little north of KW. Then there's the Vandenburg of course. The coast guard cutter Duane is also a good wreck dive off of KL. Spiegle Grove can be good too--both may have screaming currents.

jimw, a former Pittsburg,KS college student and frequent visitor to Key Largo..........

enjoy

I live in Key Largo and had my choice to live anywhere in the Keys when I moved here. My photography teacher has been here 30 years and knows the Keys quite well. My dive buddy (reefman) has been coming to or living in the Keys all his life. We live in Key Largo. Diving is consistently the best in the upper keys since Key Largo is the largest island, and it blocks a lot of the water moving in and out of Florida Bay, which can be quite silty.

Also, the Gulf Stream comes in quite close - sometimes as close a a mile or so off Molasses Reef. Conditions can vary greatly with the winds and tides. Last week I dove in 30-35' viz, this week 50+ viz, and I heard today was better than that. I will post an update after the weekend. I am doing a shoot with the Coral Restoration Foundation Sat/Sun and hitting the water, probably with reefman, Monday. Conditions are getting much better, but as stated earlier in this thread, summer is the best, June/July.

We will start seeing the large schools of Eagle rays in April and May, so that a pretty exciting time, too.

Hope that helps.

Hey Jim, I'm a Pittsburg State Grad myself, '83. Did you see they won the national championship in football this year?

Thanks for the info Tim...would be great to see eagle rays. I've seen them before down around St John, but never in the keys. Great pix out on your site, BTW.

Hey Jim, I'm a Pittsburg State Grad myself, '83. Did you see they won the national championship in football this year?

Thanks for the info Tim...would be great to see eagle rays. I've seen them before down around St John, but never in the keys. Great pix out on your site, BTW.

You're welcome, and thank you for the nice comment on my photos, KB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom