Confirmation about xDeep Stealth's BC mounting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Questions on the sliding loop method (I've not tried it yet):

1) How secure is it when using standard valves (not left/right handed, or with extended manifold nub...i.e. typical rental tanks)?

2) How secure is it when detaching the bottom of the tanks and moving the cylinders in front?

Questions on the sliding loop method (I've not tried it yet):

1) How secure is it when using standard valves (not left/right handed, or with extended manifold nub...i.e. typical rental tanks)?

2) How secure is it when detaching the bottom of the tanks and moving the cylinders in front?

I found it was just as secure, regardless of whether or not you use L/R valves as I've used it on both and there is no problem pushing the tanks ahead of and keeping the bungee on the valves, but as mentioned before the key to this is getting the bungee length right.

.... You sound like the sort of person who enjoys tinkering with gear and building your own stuff otherwise I would have just recommended buying the stealth harness as it's really good. The central weight pocket is fantastic especially as i change exposure protection with much regularity. Also the different levels of stiffness in the various parts of the harness is a great touch. Good luck, hope it works out well for you.

OCD madness, buddy. :D I was playing around getting everything perfect last night with just a weightbelt webbing harness and Razor 2 plate copies that my shoulders were showing signs of abrasion. Off and on, off and on, off and on, ..... Wanted to have this second harness lower because with my 1.67 - 68cm height, the attachment points are near the middle of the tanks and without a buttplate, my trim's compromised. Was hoping that the slightly lower waist part will help a little without having to resort to a buttplate which to me detracts from the simplicity of the system.

Thanks for the images by the way.

---------- Post added August 13th, 2013 at 01:55 PM ----------

Got a picture of how the sliding loop secures around the valve?

Ahhh, sorry to bother you again, moody s but I'm curious about that too. Is it just looped around the valve handle or around the manifold bit too?

Ahhh, sorry to bother you again, moody s but I'm curious about that too. Is it just looped around the valve handle or around the manifold bit too?

I don't have any pics of that, but on mine it goes around the neck and around the protrusion and hooks on, it does not wrap around back on to the tank knob. The bottom bolt snap is offset from from the top protrusion by 2 inches (most people line it up directly) to counteract the tanks tendency to want to twist as a result of the force of the bungee. Hope that makes sense.

I don't have any pics of that, but on mine it goes around the neck and around the protrusion and hooks on, it does not wrap around back on to the tank knob. The bottom bolt snap is offset from from the top protrusion by 2 inches (most people line it up directly) to counteract the tanks tendency to want to twist as a result of the force of the bungee. Hope that makes sense.

Perfect. Thanks for taking the time and trouble, moody s.

I can see how that'd work when the tank has a noteable protrusion (built for isolator addition). I've always found 'generic' valves (as you get with rentals) don't have a big enough 'protrusion' to offer security for the cylinder. When forward positioned, they have a tendency to drop out of the bungee. That's not a laughing matter when wriggling through a mass of pipes inside a wreck.

I don't think the sliding-loop would work with generic rental-type tanks... as there'd be insufficient security for the cylinders. Or am I missing something?

What brand of valves do you use over at your side, Devondiver? Over in Malaysia, it's mainly Sherwoods and one more I can't remember (damn, I just saw it yesterday). Both have fairly small nubs compared to some I've seen on YouTube but I haven't had a properly looped bungee slip yet even when a hose had gotten caught during the pushouts.

Anyway, I think I'll give the ring bungee system a try first although I have a bad feeling that with my relatively short torso and no buttplate, it's going to take quite a lot of fiddling and dives to arrive at a reasonable trim.

I can see how that'd work when the tank has a noteable protrusion (built for isolator addition). I've always found 'generic' valves (as you get with rentals) don't have a big enough 'protrusion' to offer security for the cylinder. When forward positioned, they have a tendency to drop out of the bungee. That's not a laughing matter when wriggling through a mass of pipes inside a wreck.

I don't think the sliding-loop would work with generic rental-type tanks... as there'd be insufficient security for the cylinders. Or am I missing something?

If that is a concern then there is no issue with having a longer bungee so that it can wrap back against around the knob, just whichever method you chose you have to get the bungee length right so that it stays tight and snug.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom