Console Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What console do you use and would recommend:

Gauge with Depth measurement
Air-integrated computer console

What is the good one now on the market for rec diving?

Thank you!

In my honest opinion there is none finer on the market today than the Atomic Cobalt II. The ease of use was the clincher for me. I still like my Tech and Rec AI wrist computers, but when I dive in a Rec limits or teach I always have my Cobalt with me (the wrist models are just backups).

Their customer Service is also fantastic. I had a battery issue that might have been my fault. Atomic sent me a new computer within 7 days and saved a dive trip.

Here is a Cobalt 2 video
Atomic Aquatics Cobalt 2 Computer Review - AOL On

This video is the Cobalt I but should give you an idea for Atomic computers...but the Cobalt 2 is even better with a new processor. cobalt dive computer - Bing Videos

I can highly recommend a Sherwood Wisdom AI computer. Easy to use and numbers are large and easy to read. I had a Suunto Cobra and when my wife got certified, she liked the features of the Wisdom. After one dive trip I sold my Cobra and bought a Wisdom for myself. Between my wife and I, we probably now have close to 800 dives on them and have never had a single problem. I like them so well I recently bought a new one on a good deal off ebay just to carry as a backup on trips in case one ever does give out. You can easily change out the battery yourself. The best computer I have owned to date.

I don't like consoles or AI computers, but we all dive what we prefer. I just bought an Oceanic console for my son and it seems very nice. They have different packages with different computer options. It's very small and compact, with built-in spots for attaching a clip.

I have been diving Oceanic computers since 1999, very fond of the DSAT decompression algorithm for recreational dives. I dived the Pro Plus and then Pro Plus 2 before switching to AI and a VT3 in 2010. I liked the consoles very much (quick disconnect with compass) and other members of my family are still diving the Pro Plus 2s. The Pro Plus 3 looks to be a fine computer and has been brought up to contemporary specs. The Sherwood Wisdom 3 uses the DSAT decompression algorithm also, doesn't have dual algorithm like the Pro Plus 3 if that's important to you. The Aeris computers (also manufactured by AUP: Oceanic, Aeris, Hollis) are probably fine also. Aeris will merge with Oceanic in September and will no longer be a separate brand.

I don't have experience with any other console computers but can recommend as above. Like many others, I moved away from consoles to wrist units. In addition to my VT3, I dive a Geo2 backup computer, wear a wrist compass, and have a backup SPG. I've never needed the backup computer or SPG, but could.

Good diving, Craig

I had a transmitter not work 3 times, once due to user error. Luckily i was able to borrow someone else's spare SPG each time. I have also had to deal with having to reset the channel on the transmitter many times. Whether due to simply not synching or others with the same, it is a PITA if you are getting ready to jump in. I have now ditched the tramsmitter for good.

They are nice and convenient, until they are not.
What Specific computer are you using?

I have about 30 dives on my Oceanic OCi and I have not had a single issue. Maybe you got a bad transmitter?

I know if my transmitter "stopped working" even just for one dive I would be in there returning it that day. Why didn't you get a new one? Your single user experience with one transmitter and one comp not working properly twice hardly makes a good case for wireless being unreliable. It sounds like you have a lemon, or just a cheap one.

First, I have a Suunto D6i, and have been using it for over a year and a half (75ish dives). I wish it was cheap, but it was not. Second, I do not believe I said they were unrelieable. I intimated that brass and glass is more reliable.

I have spoken to numerous people about the issues I have experienced, including my LDS, a couple of instructors/DMs (Carribean and CA), other divers, and Suunto. Apparently, loss of communication with the comp is fairly common (unless you are Suunto, then it can happen but rarely does). It may only last half a minute, but it happens. I seem to have only noticed this a couple of times, neither of which gave me a warm fuzzy. Neither put my life at additional risk either.

The issues with synching, as I also mentioned, are much more common. Trying to resynch the transmitter to the comp just before jumping in just plain sucks.

Beyond that, as my diving experience has grown, and my education has increased, I find a simple SPG more solid and reliable. Looking back and weighing the pros and cons of AI, I saw very little benefit to a much greater inconvenience. Yes, I could see my depth and remaining air with one glance. The question became, is saving a second glance to the SPG worth what I percieved to be a hassle. As Dr. Lecter just posted somewhere else, it appears to be a solution in search of a problem.

Now, if you like your AI and never have problems, sweet. Dive it.

First, I have a Suunto D6i, and have been using it for over a year and a half (75ish dives). I wish it was cheap, but it was not. Second, I do not believe I said they were unrelieable. I intimated that brass and glass is more reliable.

I have spoken to numerous people about the issues I have experienced, including my LDS, a couple of instructors/DMs (Carribean and CA), other divers, and Suunto. Apparently, loss of communication with the comp is fairly common (unless you are Suunto, then it can happen but rarely does). It may only last half a minute, but it happens. I seem to have only noticed this a couple of times, neither of which gave me a warm fuzzy. Neither put my life at additional risk either.

The issues with synching, as I also mentioned, are much more common. Trying to resynch the transmitter to the comp just before jumping in just plain sucks.

Beyond that, as my diving experience has grown, and my education has increased, I find a simple SPG more solid and reliable. Looking back and weighing the pros and cons of AI, I saw very little benefit to a much greater inconvenience. Yes, I could see my depth and remaining air with one glance. The question became, is saving a second glance to the SPG worth what I percieved to be a hassle. As Dr. Lecter just posted somewhere else, it appears to be a solution in search of a problem.

Now, if you like your AI and never have problems, sweet. Dive it.

Fair enough. I have never used a suunto so perhaps it is different, and you are right they aren't cheap (I payed over $950 for the OCi and transmitter). I do think they provide a safe and reliable way of having everything on your wrist for rec diving.

The petrel will work no doubt. I just say buy what will help you today.

No console. I have seen more than few damaged on dive boats. I use and recommend a "brass and glass" SPG (I use an OMS) along with a wrist mounted computer. Depending on where you dive, you may need to have a back-up computer.

Back
Top Bottom