constant, dry unproductive cough - beginner diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anxvariety

Reaction score
hello,

i just recently received my certification through PADI.

i've dove several times with a few buddies and have had wonderful experiences. we dove mostly in the 20-30 foot range.

for the past 1.5 weeks now ive had an extreme cough that really builds up pressure in my head and i kind of gag when i cough. it hasn't gotten any better or worse and i'm doubting its viral. i dont have any other symptoms.

anyone have an idea what this might be? i noticed the first few times i dove that i wasn't swallowing and my throat was completely dry (not lungs).. i've also heard someone mention the potential of a mildew infection in the lungs from not properly washing equipment(i believe i have).

thank you for your info.
nigel

This is a great question. I know so many people like this and they get so many different answers. Myself included. I hope that more than one Doc replies on this one. I had my own dr tell me that she thought it was asthma induced by the dry air....but I went and did a methacoline (not sure of spelling) challenge and came back non asthmatic. Last year at the UHMS meeting (great lakes chapt) one of the docs jokingly said that he could give a rock spasms and that the methocoline challenge was not relevant.

Please give lots of feedback to anxvariety's good question.

Although this ailment may be caused by activity related to diving, your primary source of information should be your doctor.

Please see your physician and let us know how it goes for you.

Get well.

C_C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom