Contemplating Purchasing an Underwater Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick,
One concern is the depth limitations of some housings but I guess that's were research comes in to play...

Rick,
One concern is the depth limitations of some housings but I guess that's were research comes in to play...

That is true. If you plan and diving deeper than 140' or so then you are probably better off going with an Ikelite housing but I'd still recommend the same cameras unless you want to make the leap to DSLR.

Rick,
I checked out the cameras on-line and they really arn't too expensive, except for the A640 at ~$600.00... heck, for about $300 I can get the A720 w/housing.

While tripping over some items in my wife's office I found she has a relatively new (2 yrs) Sony Cybershot DSC-W1/W12...hmmmm... I'm trying to find a housing for it right now as it's a good camera but may be too old.

Another question for you; Since you live in SD and are an avid diver I'm assuming you have dove the Yukon. If so, how is it looking? I dove it shortly after it was sunk and plan on returning in a couple of months. I understand the Lois Ann services the wreck... I can't remember what operation I used way back when.

bpierce,

The street price for it before it went discontinued was around $425 USD so $600 for a A640 is WAY to much. If you like the idea of the 4 AA batteries then the A630 (8 MP) is also a good option and the price on Amazon is ~ $350 USD. If 2 AA batteries is acceptable then either the A570IS or A720IS are both great little cameras at great prices.

Amazon.com: A630

I'm an AVID warm water wimp diver :) So I have not dove the Yukon. I did recently buy a dry suit but as of this moment it is still a very "dry" suit because I haven't gotten it wet yet :) Quite a few shops run trips out there.

Welcome to the Board,

I also am new to the site and have found the information a wealth of knowledge. I am also in the market for a camera that I can use underwater. Here is my .02 of info. I initially started looking at the Canon series due to the fact that is what I have knowledge of. A good friend has let me use his Canon 550 with underwater housing and the picture come out great. Not wanting to invest my homes equity for a camera set up I began looking at the Canon A650 IS before being enlightened about the Canon G9. I am leaning towards the G9 with housing for my purchase. Good reviews, affordable and it also takes great photos and also has an underwater setting. I know it is not one of the super high end underwater rigs, however it will do what we need it to do. Have a local dive shop who has a set up complete, would be great but the case to house all of the equipment is a large pelican case the size of my dive bag. A little awkward for a family vacation with others. FYI only and good luck with your search.

Trevor

Trevor,

Welcome to Scubaboard and good luck with your search for a camera. I too looked at the G9 but it was larger than I wanted (and more expensive than I hoped to spend although I could have lived with that). So after seeing some of the pictures that others had taken with the Canon "A" series cameras it boiled down to either an A570IS, A720IS or A630. After I decided I wanted the "IS" capability (more for on land than U/W) then it basically became a toss-up between the other 2. I ended up going with the A720IS because it has a somewhat better macro capability (allows closer focusing) but I'm not able to currently use that capability because I don't have an external strobe and the camera lens/housing barrel obstructs some of the light from the in-camera strobe when you get to close to a subject.

If the G9 is more expencive than what youd like, the G7 might be an option. If the lack of RAW capabilities on th G7 worries you, theres an easy and free way to make it shoot RAW too :wink:

Purchasing a camera is becoming more work than buying a new car as there are sooo sooo many options... the way it's going I'll just duct tape a flashlight for my strobe to my old Sea & Sea MX-5 and use it. Ha ha

bpierce,

I feel your pain. I agonized for about 6 months on what to buy and drove my wife crazy until she finally said "just buy something, anything - just quit talking about it". It finally the our travel schedule to Sipadan that made me get off my butt and buy something :) And the fact that my MotorMarine I had died after our last trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom