Controling your breathing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the same problem I’m a big airhog, I was told to try (Humming) and it seem to help.
I tried the big inhale and exhale but I have a large lung volume that give me a Buoyancy problem
;-0

Try counting. Start breathing in and in your head count 1....2....3....then exhale and count the same. You should be able to have the same count breathing in as out. It should be comfortable, no getting out of breath. Obviously the number that you get to depends on your lung size and how quick you count (I use about a second). It should be nice and relaxing so it should help with staying calm when you are under.

Something to keep in mind is that a natural response to elevated, shallow breathing is for your body to kick up your heart rate and switch your brain into "go mode". You can't consiously control your heart but you you take nice slow breaths you should be more calm over all.

Baconboy,

I've though about that question alot since I started. I bought a Cobra to even help better track my air rate.

When I first started diving I thought that I felt comfy and haven't had any fears. My SAC rate was between .5-.7 depending on the conditions and just what I was doing. I did have one time when it was as high as 1.02 (Solo dive no vis constant swiming).

I have noticed that as the more diving I do the better it has become. I can look back over my dives and see my rate drop and become more consistant. My avg has been around .45-.60.

The two things I have done that I think have helped the most is to lose weight (Both off my belly and on my weight belt) and try to be relaxed. I think although I have felt secure when diving I get wraped up in concentration to much on how I'm breathing and my bouyancy. Now that I have more dives both come more natural without thought.

When I started diving I used 12-14 lbs wt and weighed 250 lbs. I'm now diving with 6 lbs and weight 210. I have not made any changes to my gear config other than the amount and placement of my weight. This change I think is because of the weight loss and just being able to relax more in the water.

I made 4 dives yesterday. the first 2 were at a rate of .46 and .45 the next two dives were .36 and .35. I didn't think about breathing or bouyancy and just had fun and enjoyed my dives.

So whats the point to all this, It just like every one else is saying. Go dive and try to relax and not worrie about it so much. It will come naturaly as you get more time in the water.

Geek

The biggest thing that I have discovered about conserving air is to make sure that you are actually neutrally bouyant when you get to the bottom. This may sound like a no brainer but I have been on numerouse dive trips with 20+ divers and it amazes me to see how many people don't realize that they are not neutral. If you are not neutral on the bottom you will end up swimming at an angle (either up cause your sinking, or down cause your floating) to stay at the depth you want to stay at. This leads to more kicking for less distance, thus you are wasting energy (and air) trying to move around during your dive. Make sure you are neutral so that you can swim parallel to the bottom and thus efficiantly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom