Convert transpac to backpack!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bacaruda

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Here's an crazy idea, probably somebody allready thought of it.

With more restricted weight-limits on flights, it's getting more difficult to get all your gear with you without paying for overweight. So, my thought is as follow:
Take your DR transpac or Apeks WTX, remove the wing. take an cheap backpack, strip it from webbing and make a fastening to the harness (maybe keeping the cam bands in place). You will have room enough for a travel wing, computer and regulator inside the backpack = full control of the most expensive and sensitive parts of your gear.:D

Is it feasible, or just an of those crazy ideas that pops up, (like making contact-lenses out of jelly-fishes)
Will it fit within the limits for carry-on?
What is the outer measures of a transpac harness (length, width, weight)?

Not a crazy idea at all.

I joked about it a couple of years ago to my wife, but never did anything.

Then, I went to the UTD Symposium 1.0, and saw Jeanna and Brian's, of Frogkick Diving, backplate and pack design.

backplate_pak_1.jpg

backplate_pak_2.jpg

In addition to Jeanna's design, James brought his own flavor.

backplate_pak_3.jpg

While I'd prefer to buy one of Jeanna's packs (if she ever decides to sell them), I had a laptop bag available for my own version.

backplate_pak_4.jpg

I documented the backplate and pack on my site as well.

With more restricted weight-limits on flights, it's getting more difficult to get all your gear with you without paying for overweight. So, my thought is as follow:
Take your DR transpac or Apeks WTX, remove the wing. take an cheap backpack, strip it from webbing and make a fastening to the harness (maybe keeping the cam bands in place). You will have room enough for a travel wing, computer and regulator inside the backpack = full control of the most expensive and sensitive parts of your gear.:D

Is it feasible, or just an of those crazy ideas that pops up, (like making contact-lenses out of jelly-fishes)
Will it fit within the limits for carry-on?
What is the outer measures of a transpac harness (length, width, weight)?

Damn good idea. I can't see why one cannot get a local sewing shop to sew a rectangular nylon/cordura bag of some sort with slots on the sides so that you can run the cam straps through and keep everything attached to the Transpac. The Transpac itself is pretty light and small. Easily fit as a carry-on luggage item.

I will engage my sister in this projekt. She's more skilled than the mice in cinderella.
Next step is to make a specification of the space requirement.
Designing a soft backpack will be a nice brake from the daily "hardcore" industrial equipment development.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom