Cool Fish Stories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fish_bowl

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Since I am still excited about doing my open water dives to get this whole diving thing going, I wanted to know if anyone would like to share some cool stories about some of the fish they have seen while diving. Of course this is the Ontario site so I want to hear about monster Muskie and PIKE or maybe the Odd Sturgeon. I saw a sturgeon as big as me once (this is not too hard I have been told.. to be bigger then me) but I was not underwater.

Also if you have had some cool ocean stories I"m up for it too.

Thanks

Fish Bowl

P.S. I allready know about Bob the Bass

I remember a dive off the caves South of Tobermory - we were cruising among the large rock sections at about 60' and caught sight of a very large lake trout swimming away from us at about 80' with a lamprey dangling from his side! Very interesting but equally disturbing!

We have a quarry near by with some 7 ft long paddle fish. That can be fun.

Spring time around here can be a blast. You can watch as the blugill chase the bass fry and the bass chase the blugill all the while the catfish are sneaking up on the blugill nests to get at the eggs and if you get too close while watching the bass will head butt you to get you away from the fry. Usually they only bluff but we actually came accross one last year that would repeatedly strike.

Once while descending to start a night dive with a couple of students we neared the bottom just in time to see a big flathead cat turn sideways and swallow a dinner plate sized bluegill and keep going.

Hey you saw a lake trout with lots of Sea Lamprey. I used to kill Sea Lamprey for a living. Quite interesting. How big was the lake trout? I know they can get overwhelmed with Lamprey. Nasty little creatures.

Myself and about 6 other divers were attacked by a turtle in Panama City last summer. Didnt actually bite anyone, but did do a good bit of damage to a friends tank strap and one other's fin. The day before, bit a woman's arm and she needed some pretty serious surgery. Look back on it now....very cool. At the time? HOLY SH&$%!!!!
Marty

Considering the time lapse - a number of years - and the depth/visibility considerations, I'd say the laker was about 5 pounds and the lamprey about a foot long. the water was clear, but as you know, things look bigger underwater.

wow. I can't believe a turtle would turn on people. Yikes. I was always worried about sharks but I guess there is more enemies out there.

My friend used to work in the Arctic and she told me that when the divers would go into the water, they had to keep their eyes out for Walruses. Supposedly their tusks and divers don't really mix well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom