Lost Shearwater Transmitter - Story time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alii994

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Story time,

A few weeks back, I was putting on my dive gear on the boat with SeaDwellers in Key Largo. I noticed an air leak coming from one of my regulator ports once I turned the air on. It was loud enough to notice. The boat crew and I were able to identify that it was coming from the port where my transmitter was plugged in.

Keep in mind that this was a major air leak, loud enough to hear easily. I suspect it was an Oring issue with the transmitter.

Rookie mistake, I attempted to unscrew the transmitter and try to fix it while the boat was moving. Well as I unscrewed the transmitter, it somehow flipped right out of my hands and fell into the water.

Second mistake, I decided to leave my save a dive kit in the car that day. It was my last dive for that trip and just wanted to pack light. Never needed it before and thought the odds of something happening were low and I was traveling back home to Atlanta the next day so I had already packed most of my stuff.

I was super upset about it. The dive boat crew, especially Kiera showed a lot of sympathy and I truly appreciate her. She gave me one of her spare port plugs and I screwed it in. While all that was happening, the boat had stopped, people are already in the water and my buddy was waiting on me.

A minute after I got in the water, just hovering and looking around out of nowhere I see an arrow like object zooming out of nowhere, it stops for a second turns and I see it’s a baracuda with a silver shiny looking fish in its mouth. I just realized I just saw a barracuda hunting and eating a fish. Never witnessed anything like that before, it was surreal. It kept moving back and forth with an occasional speed burst as it bites down on the fish.

I usually trying to get in the water as soon as I boat stops. I try to have all my gear ready, when they say 10 minute, all I have to do is put on my fins, BCD, and mask on and get up. Loosing my transmitter caused me to witness one of the coolest experiences in my life.

After I got back to Atlanta, I was scrolling on Instagram and I see a post from Shearwater Research. It was the Shearwater Swift Transmitter I had just lost. I decided to share my story with them, I wasn’t complaining by any means I just thought I’d share it with them and tell them about the Barracuda because I thought it’s a cool story. Honestly all in all, just thanking them for making such great products that I like many other divers can trust our lives with. What happened next was completely unexpected.

Trisha with Shearwater saw my message and replaced my transmitter completely for free. I’m still astounded by that. I had heard about Shearwater having excellent customer service. But nothing to this level.

I’m sharing it with you all so you know what an awesome company Shearwater is, what an awesome person Trisha is and if you ever wonder why you hear so many people recommending Shearwater well this is just one example why they are awesome. Not only they make excellent products, their customer care is also like no other I have ever heard of.

Attachments

• IMG_2318.png
    IMG_2318.png
    156.3 KB · Views: 93
Your issue was probably a blown OPV in the SWIFT. That is an issue that some have had. Many posts/threads about that here on ScubaBoard. Shearwater probably just assumed that was the issue and replaced it even though you lost it over the side. Regardless, this is once again exceptional customer service from Shearwater.

Nice.

For a moment when you said silver shinny thing I was hoping this story was going to end with barracuda has your transmitter and you had to fight it to try and get it back.
hahahahahaha now that would have been something 😂

Your issue was probably a blown OPV in the SWIFT. That is an issue that some have had. Many posts/threads about that here on ScubaBoard. Shearwater probably just assumed that was the issue and replaced it even though you lost it over the side. Regardless, this is once again exceptional customer service from Shearwater.
An issue we are too familiar with :)

Nice.

For a moment when you said silver shinny thing I was hoping this story was going to end with barracuda has your transmitter and you had to fight it to try and get it back.
I thought the story was going to end the same way.

An issue we are too familiar with :)
That’s good to know. How common is it?

I have 2 other swifts and one non swift. The non swift one, I’ve had it for nearly 5 years now and never had an issue.

Haven’t had any issues with the 2 other swift ones either but haven’t had them as long either.

I don't know how common it is, but it happened to me about 6 weeks ago diving with @Divin'Papaw. We thought it was the o-ring at first too and he finally realized it was the OPV missing. I had an Oceanic transmitter on my pony, so we swapped it over during the surface interval. Shearwater customer service was amazing.

Trisha with Shearwater

The company replaced it without even being asked first.
That's unheard of in the dive industry,,,, 5 stars Trisha!!
Stars.jpg

I don't know how common it is, but it happened to me about 6 weeks ago diving with @Divin'Papaw. We thought it was the o-ring at first too and he finally realized it was the OPV missing. I had an Oceanic transmitter on my pony, so we swapped it over during the surface interval. Shearwater customer service was amazing.

Yup, it was a pretty easy fix.

How common is it? Hard to say. I've read about the issue a few times on here and then @MrChen had it happen to his SWIFT. I have two SWIFTs and one PPS. My SWIFTs have so far had no issue. I have the PPS on my pony. If I were to ever have this issue myself, I would do what we did with MrChen's transmitters ... just swap them and go with no SPG on the pony.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom