Coolest/Most Unique "Finds" While Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea_Jay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am based in South FL and there are quite a few dive operations locally, taking many people of many experience levels out into open water, on a daily basis. This results in lots of inexperienced (and usually affluent) divers on crowded dive sites; and they lose things. A lot.

Wondering what others have come across while on a dive? Some of my favorites:

-2300 Lumen underwater fishing light w/ bag & battery adapters
-O.M.E.R. Wolf dive mask
-Oceanic ARID Dry Snorkel
-Antique glass soda bottles
-NOAA Tag/Telemetry Receiver

Probably the most satisfying, is when we (my dive-buddy and myself) find someone's cell-phone and are able to return it. It's surprisingly common to find one, it works, and there is no contact information and they don't activate any sort of "find my phone."

We find lots of sunglasses, including pricey ones. In some ways it's more interesting when you come across weird things like umbrellas or boots, because you don't see those every day underwater.

Probably my weirdest find, were these glasses, which had a phallic nose, and were absolutely covered in zebra mussels.

≈ 2300 year old amphora, TWICE!

(Two different ones in two different locations at different times)

Probably the most satisfying, is when we (my dive-buddy and myself) find someone's cell-phone and are able to return it. It's surprisingly common to find one, it works, and there is no contact information and they don't activate any sort of "find my phone."

We find lots of sunglasses, including pricey ones. In some ways it's more interesting when you come across weird things like umbrellas or boots, because you don't see those every day underwater.

Probably my weirdest find, were these glasses, which had a phallic nose, and were absolutely covered in zebra mussels.
I agree on satisfaction of returning lost items.

I have found many sunglasses but all cheapo so far. Waiting for my next set of Ray Ban's to appear lol

That definitely checks the "weird" box! The weirdest thing I've ever come across at sea, albeit not while diving, was an inflatable "doll" with a strap-on attached. Floating about 15 miles offshore. We were trolling for mahi and saw something in the distance, so approached. Interesting to say the least. We got on the VHF and asked if anyone had lost it at sea, some hilarious commentary followed (which I don't think is appropriate to post on SB)

I have found many sunglasses but all cheapo so far. Waiting for my next set of Ray Ban's to appear lol
I've found dozens of RayBans, some in great condition. Speaking of which, I can't seem to find my favorite pair, they're blue. Though it's a close tie between that and some carbon-fiber ones my buddy found.

Dive light, two integrated weights, a sunken sailboat (Minerva reef), shark in a cave.

Weights, snorkels, masks and Kate Spade sunglasses. "Stubby" Canadian beer bottles from the '70s/'80s.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom