Corona Del Mar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JMdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi All,
Just wondering if anybody can tell me about this dive site. I haven't seen any posts on it before and I've been thinking about going there.

John

If I remember correctly, it's at a state beach so it costs $10 to park but they have bathroom facilities there. It's a flat sandy bottom, easy entry, sort of like Redondo Beach but cleaner. I didn't see too much the time I was there...

JMdiver:
Hi All,
Just wondering if anybody can tell me about this dive site. I haven't seen any posts on it before and I've been thinking about going there.

John

There are two locations "Big Corona" and "Little Corona". Little Corona is at the end of Poppy Street more or less. You can park on the street for free assuming you can find a space. There is a walk down a ramp to the beach. From the cliff top there is a line of buoys visible which prevents the boat traffiic from Newport Harbor getting too close to the beach. Usually we have surface swum to the buoys and dropped there. The site is shallow so there tends to be a lot of surge if there are significant waves. So I would recommend it primarly for flat days. Lots of low rocky reef and a red-brown algae that I do not see much in the rest of OC. Max depth is about 30 feet, but most of the site is around 15 feet. Nice dive site.

I have only done Big Corona twice. You can park your car in the State Park but it is expensive. Or you can park in the street and walk down. The site is directly adjacent to the outside of the Newport Harbor breakwall. There is a fair amount of life in the breakwall and you are well protected from swell. Watch out for the fishermen on the breakwall. This is the only place I got snagged by a fish hook. If conditions permitted I would chose Little Corona.

A.

Sandeaters has a dive scehduled for tonight at Little Corrona. I personally have not dove there. Was planning to go, but I am recovering from head cold and think it wise while still clearing the system of the junk to stay topside.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom