Cost of becoming a dive master

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

just according to your location. My course was very inexpensive because it was being done as a personal favor. The actual cost of the course is about $650 including books but not professional registration fees. One shop in our area only charges $500 and they let you work in their shop for free as part of your training. You only have to work for something like 120 hours or 3 complete sets of gear before you're considered worthy of the divemaster rating.

When you start instructor training you are required to get the stores uniform before you take the class.

So when you look for cost, look for ALL of the cost, not just the ones they tell you about up front.

As a DM or instructor you must carry liability insurance. For a DM this is about $500 per year, for instructors I believe this is over $1000 per year.

As a DM you need only be covered when you are actually working as a divemaster. As an instructor it is recommended you stay covered until at least 7 years after you stop teaching.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

but you can write off all your gear as a business expense if you start working as a professional. KEEP all your reciepts.

ScubaRon once bubbled...
As a DM or instructor you must carry liability insurance. For a DM this is about $500 per year, for instructors I believe this is over $1000 per year.

As a DM you need only be covered when you are actually working as a divemaster. As an instructor it is recommended you stay covered until at least 7 years after you stop teaching.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

Holy cow!

you pay $500 a year for insurance? I pay less than $200 for insurance and membership fees combined.

R..

I have started my DM classes. It is going to be alot of work. The prices are about right. Having gone through OW, AOW, MFA and RESCUE DIVER not to mention any of the TDI stuff I will give this advice. Don't try to go too fast. Become totally comfortable with your gear in the water and enjoy it. Experience will make you a better diver and DM candidate.

My yearly NAUI membership fee is $120.00
My insurance for this year at Instructor level was $500.00

I hope this dispells some myths.

Of course, this is NOT the cost of becomming an instructor, this is just the cost of STAYING an instructor!

$500 for the course. Maybe $350-400 for materials. Plus the prerequisite courses. Membership & liability will be about $255 a year. So a bit under $1,000 for course & materials. Pretty close to the same in U.S.$ as out Can. dollar is about $.95 US but out tax is 13%.

Most of my recent employers have had shop insurance policies so I have remained active for the last 4 years without buying my own Insurance.

Just because you attain the DM or Instructor ratings that does not mean you have to purchase insurance, but you have to be listed on some sort of dive pro policy to work as an instructor or DM in many regions. Some regions do not require this I think.

If your goal is to become an instructor, then you should go the Assist. Instructor route rather than the DM. For me, I am only interested at this time in being a DM. I enjoy that personally alot more. But the thing you need to do is DIVE. The more experience underwater will make you a much better dive professional later on. There is alot to learn, and I gained most of my current experience from the divers I associate with and the places I have dived. Diving is a continuous learning experience no matter how long you have been been in the sport.

I am very happy to see your enthusiasm and I wish you the very best of luck in your underwater adventures!

Carolyn:shark2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom