Cost of living

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hintermann

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The only negative aspect of my recent visit to Bonaire is the realisation of how expensive basic essentials are on the island. Food and drink in particular are particularly so and I suppose this reflects the fact that very little grows on the arid little island and everything has to be imported. Even in the ridiculously expensive Dutch Supermarket I saw a few locals and other units like The Warehouse were not that far behind. I calculated that things like bread, fruit juice etc were marked at over twice of what we would pay for similar supplies in the UK and perhaps Holland. It is OK for tourists like us for short visits but the local people must feel really hard done by.

I suspect the locals shop differently than us tourists. Or at least know where to buy what.

Probably depends where you're coming from too, the prices don't necessarily seem that bad to me. Beer was pretty cheap so I was happy.

Yes, I agree, the local Bonarians have it pretty rough if you look at wages to cost of living. Being from one of the most expensive grocery states, Virginia( per some study that was done), we find Bonaire comparable to the Virginia Beach area grocery prices except for cold cuts - bonaire is higher. The alcohol is less expensive on Bonaire than in Virginia Beach, but Virginia has high taxes on alcohol, wine and beer.

Did you get a chance to eat at Rose Inn in Rincon? They probably source the goat locally.:D

Did you get a chance to eat at Rose Inn in Rincon? They probably source the goat locally.:D

I thought I saw that you can get Iguana stew in Rincon too. Seriously.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom