Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CryptKeeper

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I’m casually planning a possible dive trip to either Costa Rica or Honduras for approximately 10 days. I don’t have a ton of dives under my belt but have some good experience especially with large shark dives (tiger beach, South Africa shark diving/great white cage diving) and some drift and cave diving in Cozumel and PDC. Plan to get advanced open water as well I think prior to this trip especially if needed.

I’ve been to Tamarindo for one of my first dives that had me fall in love I believe it was in Catalina Isles. I really love seeing an abundance of wildlife especially large animals. But also a passion for really colorful coral/wildlife. I also am looking to do some above water activities (my last trip to Costa Rica I did not get to experience the jungle much). I’m leaning towards Costa Rica just bc I loved it there but would love to hear the arguments for Utila/Roatan since I’ve never been.

Budget isn’t must of a problem but would rather keep it budget friendly but not having to nickel and dime either.

Also swimming with whale sharks and seeing large manta rays are one of my bucket list items. I know both can be seen in either location just don’t know where my Better chances would be. I plan to go anywhere between April-August depending on the best time it would be for what I’m looking to experience.

I just remember that first dive in Catalina isles seeing all the colorful fish, Manya rays (saw 1 lol) and coral like I’m diving i. an aquarium. I’ve done many dives after, all amazing in their own right but nothing was better visually than my dive in Costa Rica

Also are there bull sharks or other shark species in Costa Rica to dive with without a live aboard ship to Coco island?

I’m open to other suggestions in the Caribbean or elsewhere as well. I’m traveling from NY and the Caribbean seems to be the cheapest flights to get to but again open to any suggestions to “scratch my itch” thanks in advance everyone!

I’m casually planning a possible dive trip to either Costa Rica or Honduras for approximately 10 days. I don’t have a ton of dives under my belt but have some good experience especially with large shark dives (tiger beach, South Africa shark diving/great white cage diving) and some drift and cave diving in Cozumel and PDC. Plan to get advanced open water as well I think prior to this trip especially if needed.

I’ve been to Tamarindo for one of my first dives that had me fall in love I believe it was in Catalina Isles. I really love seeing an abundance of wildlife especially large animals. But also a passion for really colorful coral/wildlife. I also am looking to do some above water activities (my last trip to Costa Rica I did not get to experience the jungle much). I’m leaning towards Costa Rica just bc I loved it there but would love to hear the arguments for Utila/Roatan since I’ve never been.

Budget isn’t must of a problem but would rather keep it budget friendly but not having to nickel and dime either.

Also swimming with whale sharks and seeing large manta rays are one of my bucket list items. I know both can be seen in either location just don’t know where my Better chances would be. I plan to go anywhere between April-August depending on the best time it would be for what I’m looking to experience.

I just remember that first dive in Catalina isles seeing all the colorful fish, Manya rays (saw 1 lol) and coral like I’m diving i. an aquarium. I’ve done many dives after, all amazing in their own right but nothing was better visually than my dive in Costa Rica

Also are there bull sharks or other shark species in Costa Rica to dive with without a live aboard ship to Coco island?

I’m open to other suggestions in the Caribbean or elsewhere as well. I’m traveling from NY and the Caribbean seems to be the cheapest flights to get to but again open to any suggestions to “scratch my itch” thanks in advance everyone!
We saw Bull Sharks in CR but they were so shy I could not even aim my camera before they vanished. Overall, Roatan/Utila are more predictable than CR, IMHO. But on the downside, they have sand flies. If you decide to go to CR, the best diving we had was at Isla del Cano, but it is tricky to get there.

We saw Bull Sharks in CR but they were so shy I could not even aim my camera before they vanished. Overall, Roatan/Utila are more predictable than CR, IMHO. But on the downside, they have sand flies. If you decide to go to CR, the best diving we had was at Isla del Cano, but it is tricky to get there.
Eh I mean if I’m really into the dive I don’t mind getting someplace tricky but would rather some place I can stay and just get picked up at my hotel or walk to the dive center. Kinda why I was leaning towards Tamarindo again although I’ve never been to Honduras so can’t speak on that.

I've been to Tamarindo a few times over the years (surfing in Guanacaste but I did a dive or two) and I did my CCR training in Roatan, Honduras. I'd say Roatan is a far better diving destination. Roatan's town, West End, is pretty gnarly compared to Guanacaste, so pick your poison I guess!

Hi @CryptKeeper

We've been to both and enjoyed them

My wife, daughter and I went to Costa Rica some time ago. We stayed at a resort, Ocotal Beach Resort, and used a scuba operator, Ocotal Divers, that are no longer in business. We were there just a week. We did 6 very good dives, 2 at Bat Islands, 2 at the Catalinas, and 2 local dives in the Gulf de Papagayo. We saw a couple of mantas at Bat Islands, no Bull Sharks for us. Catalinas had a school of mobula rays and some huge schools of fish. The local dive had some White Tip Reef Sharks, panamic green morays, and abundant fish life. Rocket Frog in Playas del Coco gets good reviews as a scuba operator. I believe they have a fast boat, making the long trip out to Bat Islands more tolerable. Guanacaste has many good land excursions, we did a couple on non-diving days. We rarely go back to places we've been, so many new places to visit. I would certainly return to Costa Rica given the opportunity.

My wife and I went to Roatan several years ago. We stayed at Turquoise Bay Resort and used Subway Watersports on site. The AI resort is somewhat remote on the northeast coast, very comfortable, nice grounds and beach. Subway is a very good operator, 3 dives/day, no shore diving. Diving is very easy, very good, but not remarkable. Several land activities are available from the resort, we did not take any, dived every day. We did do an interesting island tour on the last afternoon

By "predictable" I meant visibility. Ocotal and Bats can be great or can be just crappy. Isla del Cano was always great but this is a 45 min boat ride.

TBR in Roatan is nicer in this sense. In terms of diving convenience, that is, being picked up and all, both are the same.

By "predictable" I meant visibility. Ocotal and Bats can be great or can be just crappy. Isla del Cano was always great but this is a 45 min boat ride.

TBR in Roatan is nicer in this sense. In terms of diving convenience, that is, being picked up and all, both are the same.
Ahh I see ok thanks again! Also I don’t mind long boat rides. My favorite dive was tiger beach, I was lucky enough to be the only diver on the tour was almost 1.5 hours from shore but so worth it. One more question was there more wildlife/colors in either or? Sounds like Costa Rica did from your write up

I've been to Tamarindo a few times over the years (surfing in Guanacaste but I did a dive or two) and I did my CCR training in Roatan, Honduras. I'd say Roatan is a far better diving destination. Roatan's town, West End, is pretty gnarly compared to Guanacaste, so pick your poison I guess!
So Roatan had more of a nightlife? And by better diving you mean conditions or wildlife?

Ahh I see ok thanks again! Also I don’t mind long boat rides. My favorite dive was tiger beach, I was lucky enough to be the only diver on the tour was almost 1.5 hours from shore but so worth it. One more question was there more wildlife/colors in either or? Sounds like Costa Rica did from your write up
There are no corals in the Pacific near CR, but there are some colorful fish, like King Angelfish. My pics from Ocotal & Bats are in this album while Isla del Cano pics are here. Isla del Cano is not colorful at all, mostly you'll see reef sharks, large jacks and rays. And Roatan/TBR pics are here.

There are no corals in the Pacific near CR, but there are some colorful fish, like King Angelfish. My pics from Ocotal & Bats are in this album while Isla del Cano pics are here. Isla del Cano is not colorful at all, mostly you'll see reef sharks, large jacks and rays. And Roatan/TBR pics are here.
Amazing thanks for all the help! And yeah I’m more into colorful wildlife than coral. Thanks again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom