Could water and Zeagle Express

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RStyle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Invited to do some cold water diving in California. I guess it will be 7mm or semidry suits so plenty of weight. I own a zeagle Express ( not deluxe) which has been my go to comfiest and light BC for all my tropical diving. Concerned about the 24 lb lift.
would it be enough? Can I replace the bladder for more lift?

24lbs isn't going to be enough. Whole wing would have to be replaced. Call Zeagle directly or Zeagle Express and they'll be able to help you. Keep in mind with the price you can get a brand new DSS rig of your choice for just under $500, so if the wing is $300-$350 it will be worth it to consider the bit extra to get the SS plate which will help with taking some of the weight off your belt and what not.

How much weight do you need? how much diving do you plan to do, and where? (shallow in 7mm = meh; deep = mmm?)

For just a few dives I think you could get away with it. I wouldn't run out and buy all new gear for a weekend of dives. (OK, maybe I would :D )
I've used a zeagle scout with drysuit in norcal and it only has a 24lbs wing. It was fine; not ideal, but fine. but, I primarily use my drysuit for buoyancy.

I am wondering if the Zeagle Covert would be good enough. I could still use it for travel and all my warm water diving.
i am planning a week long trip to California. It would be 7mm or semidrysuit.
I am in my early 60's and although there is still a lot of warm water diving in the future, I do not have any other cold water trips planned ( unless there is an unexpected invitation)
forgot to thank you guys for the responses.

I am wondering if the Zeagle Covert would be good enough. I could still use it for travel and all my warm water diving.
i am planning a week long trip to California. It would be 7mm or semidrysuit.
For warm water, I'm sure it would be fine. For the cold water, it may not be enough. The integrated weight on the covert is 16lbs, so if you need more, you may need to add a weight-belt. The bladder is 32lbs. Not sure if this would be sufficient for your weight requirements in the cold water.

For warm water, I'm sure it would be fine. For the cold water, it may not be enough. The integrated weight on the covert is 16lbs, so if you need more, you may need to add a weight-belt. The bladder is 32lbs. Not sure if this would be sufficient for your weight requirements in the cold water.

If the 32# Covert bladder is sufficient, you can add weight pockets to the cam band to increase weight capability by 10# if you don't want to wear a weight belt. I use the Covert for warm water, and it is a great travel bcd. Very light weight, sturdy Zeagle product, and supprisingly comfortable.

You can put a 34# wing on an Express Tech - IIRC it was a factory option at one time.

I would think that just about any wing in their line works with it. I know you can put one of the big doubles wings on it since it will mount doubles.

But I don't know for certain so check with them or your dealer.

None of their wings list for much under $300 so IDK whether it makes more sense just to buy a larger capacity BCD instead.

Single Bag Bladder Assembly

Last edited:
I put most of my weight on a belt anyway. I carry from 10-15 depending on Polartec vs 3-5 mm.
part of the reason is that it is easier to climb up a ladder getting some of the weight off by taking belt off
Sometimes use weigh pockets for lifeline, light, folding snorkel depending on dive area.

I was more concerned about lift that being able to carry Weight in pockets

Back
Top Bottom