Couples Negril, Jamaica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. Try to take TimAir and not the bus, you'll save yourself about 2-2.5 hours.

that's an interesting landing in Negril also. Their unway is only something like 1800ft or 2200ft long. Their terminal is a portable building. not your typical airport.

Make sure the room service door tag is on you door BEFORE midnight to get you eary morning stuff.

This is something we do every day there. THey will deliver Jamacian "Blue Mountain Coffee" and whatever else you want at the set time in the morning. We usually got fruit and croisants, etc. Great way to start the day with some of the best coffee you can drink. We would go sit out on the balcony and eat it. ... and relax.

Never stayed at Couples, but we did do Sandals @ Ochos Rios. The diving was great and never crowded (as previously stated).

Also, as previously stated, the rum is on the "light" side. If you want to truely taste Jamaica, get yourself to one of the rum-bars outside the resort. Walk up to the bar and ask for "Over-Proof" rum (63% alcohol by volume). They all have it and it will do the trick. If you feel REALLY brave, ask for "the good stuff". They keep it under the counter and it has no label. I never hit it, but all of the "regulars" drank from this bottle.

The drinks at Couples (Ocho Rios and NEgril) that were "pre made" like the strawberry daquiris were a little light, but all you had to do was ask them to top pour on some more rum. or get two or three of them.

they serve them in smaller probe 8oz glasses. I got them in the 16oz beer mugs. worked much better that way and less trips to the bar for refills.

I asked one bartender why the drinks were so light... he just laughed and said "try some of dis, mon" and pour'd me a drink out of cooler they had. It was rum punch made with about 150 or 160 proof rum. Now that was a drink!.

Was there a few years ago ...

Dive Operations:
Visibility = Great. Water Temp = Perfect. Marine Life = soso! A bit fished out.
Dive Staff = Very good, very friendly. Attentive.

Morning dive was great. Usually deep and there are several wrecks ... an airplane, a tugboat, etc. The arches were a great dive (near the airplane).
Afternoon dive was terrible. Not deeper than 30 feet on a reef with very little life. They do a resort course there and more or less reserve the afternoon boat for people in the pool during the resort course.
One of the boats was in repair (in Ocho Rios) the whole week we were there. The other boat broke down one day. No problem, mon.
Be careful of some of the non-diving excursions - They have altitude in Jamaica. The River Walk is well into the mountains. Worth doing, you just need to plan for it. V

Resort:
Resort was nice/clean. Beach is BEAUTIFUL!!! Hedo is an interesting walk through (not for the conservative minded). Food was different, although it lacked variety. Ricks Cafe is a must do. Jumping from the top rock is a rush. Negril is an ok little town. Try and get out and do some things outside the resort.

I love Jamaica, the people and the party. Can't wait to go back.

PS -was offered drugs more times than I can count. Most guys will be asked. They don't really harass you. Just say no, and they will move on.

PSPS - If you tip well at the resort the first day or so; you will be treated like a king the whole week. I brought 20 $5 bills and spread them out the first day. I couldn't walk through the resort without someone wanting to help me.

PSPSPS - Get your spot on the beach early. Chairs fill up by 930AM.

jcf

yes... in Couple Ocho Rios, the Dunns River Falls (river walk called above) is a must do. Couples will take you over on a bus and then do a "beach party" afterwards where they bring the drinks. You'll want to take some old tennis-shoes or aquashoes to wear walking up the falls. you can rent them there for I think $5 bucks or so. take a dispoable waterproof camara to get your guide to take your pic at several locations. The guides work for tips and every group has a guide, so take some money for that. They also exit out in one of the junk/straw markets. They vendors will pester you to buy stuff but ignore them completely and they will move on to the next person. Answer them with a "no thank you" and they will reply with at "but you need it for this reason" trying to suck you in.

Couples Ocho Rios also has a horse ride up into the mountains. It was neat and took and hour or two. I think you had to wear long pants (jeans/slacks) for it.

Couples Ocho Rios also does a plantation tour. It was one of those educational type field trips. Neat to do, but I wouldn't do it a second time if we went back.

Couple Negril does a trip to Ricks Cafe. They have locals jumping off the cliffs for tips. The place is WAY OVERCROWDED and no place to sit and overpriced drinks. the sunset was nice, but I wan't impressed by the place and wouldn't bother going back.

Couples Negril does a shopping trip. They take you to a duty free shopping mal, a flea/straw market, and a downtown market. maybe 3 hours max. We went back another day to a few of the shops and the resort arranged a driver for us for the entire time. He drove us wherever we wanted and waited for us. I think we were gone about 3 hours and it cost about $30 bucks.... so not bad.

They also do a "booze cruise" snorkle tour on a big catamaran. It looked fun, but it's one of those cruises where you can snorkel, drink and play loud music.

I didn't read all of the other posts, but I was at Couples Negril a few years ago. The resort is great. I would go back in a heartbeat. The food is good (and I am a pretty tough critic), the service was outstanding, and all of the inclusive stuff is top shelf. The diving is ok. The operators run a good boat, the rental equipment didn't look too abused, and it's nice and easy access in case the wife doesn't dive. Mine didn't and it's was good for both of us. Dives ran twice a day during the week and one two tank on the weekend.

One bad thing is that you are at the mercy of the most inexperienced divers there. There's only one boat and they take everyone. When we first got there there were lots of new divers and the dives were shallow and short. As the week progressed they left and the second portion of our stay consisted of only three more advanced divers and we had a lot more latitude with sites and lengths of dives.

All in all, I would go back because I had a good time and my wife had a good time. It wouldn't be my first choice for a "dive trip" though.

Hunter

we lucked up. we had all the experienced divers in one group and all the new ones in another group, each lead by a different instructor/DM.

most days though it was just the 4 or 5 experienced divers and no newbies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom