Coz Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been to Cozumel twice. I eat fruits and vegetables. I like going into small mexican restaurants on side streets with menus printed in Spanish. In my oninion, if it doesn't have chilies it's not worth eating. I have even forgotten on occasion and brushed my teeth with tap water.

Maybe I haven't gotten sick yet because my germs are icubating, building their strength adn waiting for exactly the right moment to burst out and devour me whole?

On the other hand, I did get a concussion the last time I was in Mexico. Perhaps I didn't get La Tourista because the universe tends to balance out it's vacation suffering and avoid loading one little person with more than she can handle?

For those interested in an in-depth debate take a look at the thread TropiGal refers to at http://www.scubaboard.com/t20913/s.html

From my perspective as an former "backpacker" in the wilds of Oahaca, Puebla and Veracruze it would appear that Coz is pretty civilised. The most basic utilities are sadly lacking in much of the rest of the country where extreme care is certainly warranted

As for the referenced report I admit to a certian scepticism. If the findings of all thos E Coli were associated with an outbreak of food poisoning I would be concerned but perhaps TD is like meningitis, the causative organisms for which can be cultured from the nasal mucosa of a large number of perfectly healthy children. And what about all those nasties routinely grown from swabs taken from supermarket meat counters?

A few years ago we had a scare concerning E Coli on eggs. The only real casualty was Edwina Currie who subsequently resigned as health minister.

By the way, "You need to eat a peck of dirt before you die."

In any case, who said life was risk free?

However, my professional opinion is to be sensible and make sure you do only consume fresh products and if affected to take/seek proper treatment early.

I figured I might be going out on a limb with the lime thing by posting before I researched it a little better. I saw it on TV. I believe it was on that cooking network or something. Maybe I could sue them and get rich for all my pain and suffering from my bout with "Tourista" from my last trip to Coz. :wink:

DR. Thomas makes a good point. I wouldn't expend too much energy worrying about coming down with the revenge. Every time I've been to Coz, I ate out at several restaurants, including salsa, pico de gallo (spelling?), ceviche, ice water, and tap water from the hotel.
I've only had a problem the one time...the brownish tint to the tap water was probably a clue that I shouldn't drink it, and like I said earlier, it only lasted about 30 minutes each time. When the water was clear I drank it throughout the whole trip and had no problems.

I'll stick to the bottled water (or beer :wink: ) for drinking this next time down, but I figure for the chance to get to Dive Palancar Reef again ...it's a fair trade off.
:D

Hi, Gang!

One of my profs once told me of the value of "single point statistics": you can extrapolate that point to prove anything you wish! Here, then, is my single point stat on digestive problems ala Coz.

Zagnut's comment on "brown water" reminded me of two items:

(1) when cross country skiiing, never eat the yellow snow,
and
(2) my only bout with Monteczuma's Revenge was when I accidently swallowed some shower water whilst cleansing myself.

I was told that the hotel had three sources of water:

(1) potable water that was dispensed at the sink and was delivered by truck;
(2) filtered water that went into the shower system and was not potable;
(3)unfiltered/unpurified water that went into the commode.

Unfortunately, no one mentioned that the shower water was not unconditionally potable. And that may have been the problem.

A friend discovered that the water dispensed from the sinks at the A/P was not potable when he brushed his teeth there. He was told that just after he finished--and, of course, two days later he was testing how well Imodium worked!

Regards,

Scorpionfish

I don't care what the chances are...the guacamole at LaChoza is worth it!

We've always just used common sense, drink bottled sodas or beer. Beast says Stripe brand toothpaste tasts best with DosXX! There's one brand of bottled water with a blue lable that is distilled...I know it when I see it!

One thing we've noticed is that people who don't normally eat rich or greasy food tend to have reactions in Mexico. Not necessarily Monty's revenge, just a disagreeable stomach, which can also ruin a trip.

"One thing we've noticed is that people who don't normally eat rich or greasy food tend to have reactions in Mexico"

..another good insight from Dee!!!!!!

Dee Good insight onthe beer paste

there have been many good suggestions for getting water locally in many locations but here is what i do.

if i think the local water supply(Tap, lake, pond, stream, or river) is questionable there are three ways i purify it so that i dont get sick(and for a medical condition i get stomach bugs more easily then the average person), and there are as follows.

the following list is order of my preference from best to not the best.

1. a water filter( most can be bought for less then $50 at your local REI or back packing outfitter) i use pur brand after using various because its filters have the finest mesh and filter agents are vary good(if you cant get a pur brand filter, get a filter with the finest mesh and filter agents you can , ie small the mesh less microbes get through). also even though the filters say they will purfy x gallons of water , i only use it to 2/3 of its rated capicity because after certain quanties of gallons some of the microbes get forced through, but thats just me , i would rather be safe then in the hospital.

2. would be using iodine tablets (ie polarpure) just put the number of reccomended tablets in the water shake up and let sit for the required time(some times i will add an extra if i feel it might need it) the only bad side to the tablets is the red discoloring it does, and it is permanet(i have the bottles to prove it ) if you dont want to be drinking the iodine taste you can get charcoal tablets to put in after the iodine does its work. but using both of these tablets will slow the time down that you can drink the water (around an hour to over3 with the charcoal tablets )

last and not my favorite but it does the job is boil water, and boil it for over 15 minutes just to be sure its killed the germs. even though it takes around 30 minutes it can take a hour or more to take the water to cool depending on the amount of water boiled.

heres a piece of advice for even one but espically divers doing lots of diving.

average day one should drink 8 8oz glasses of water
when doing regular excersize should drink 8 - 12 glasses
doing strenous activity (and even regualr excersize of multiple days) should be a minimum of 16 + glasses a day (ie a gallon of more) because in the average day you will sweat out at least 2 quarts a day in hard excersize.

FWIW

Apparently the best way to avoid a bad case of La Tourista while travelining in Mexico is to eat lost of rich and greasy food before you go. Grease is GOOD for you! Who knew?

buff once bubbled...
"One thing we've noticed is that people who don't normally eat rich or greasy food tend to have reactions in Mexico"

..another good insight from Dee!!!!!!

I got back last Saturday. Stayed at El Cid. Bottled
water came with the room but the tap water seemed
fine to me. The hotels have their own treatment
systems. The smaller shops, bars, etc. have big round
black barrels and water is delivered by truck. Be careful
there. Cozumel is as clean or cleaner than a town in
the Keys. A great place!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom