Coz fans: Any families consisting of single parent with PADI-certed Junior/teens?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi don't know how old your junior is but just like the others my little buddy is now 18 years old, 6'2" and off to college. We have been diving in coz at least once a year for the last six years and would have liked to meet other single parents who were focused on their kids. The few times I did meet others, the kids often went off together to play and I was left with some other adult rather than playing with my son. Instead, I took the opportunity to use our time together to develop our relationship and to instill a sense of wanderlust and exploration. Cozumel is a very safe place for exploring either on foot or by car. There are so many opportunities to discover new things from passion island and the north "neighborhood" to the crashing waves at punta sur to the mercado in town and the shoemaker across the street. When he was 13 I taught him how to drive stick on the east side beach road. His first beer at 15 at Casa Mission to celebrate our birthdays. He is now comfortable making international travel arraignments and traveling on his own. We checked out many dive shops and chose Aldora as our preferred shop although there are five other shops that I would be happy diving with. We went cenote diving on days when the port was closed, and took a 3 day side trip to Xcalak to explore. Rent a car for your trip and try kite flying on the east side or go on a photo safari, anything to enjoy your time together and create special memories. We have stayed at the AI's down south, Iberostar, allegro, reef club, fieast americana, casa del mar, hotel cozumel, villablanca, as well as budget places in town. They were all fine, but you get what you pay for. Hotel coz and casa del mar are the best bang for the buck for us. The meal plan is cheap enough at hotel coz that it pays for itself with just breakfast. We take a to go baggie of fresh fruit, muffins,etc for snacking on the boat. Enjoy your time together it goes by faster than you can imagine. He has only been away for six weeks but it feels much longer.

Home Free - YouTube

Where did your daughter and you stay on Cozumel, where you were coming across other teens traveling with their families? Did you like the accomodations there?

In Cozumel we stay at the Palace. We've made three trips there; my wife as a non-diver fell in love with the island immediately. Coz was our first dive trip, and the combination of incredible diving, the service and fine accommodations at the Palace, the friendliness of the locals and proximity to town for shopping, dining (even though we are at an AI, we still go out to eat for dinner a few nights each trip) and events is very hard to beat. The custom VW Bug show in town last trip was lots of fun to walk around, as an example; folks were proud to show us their creations and we felt welcome. We have tried and failed to make it there for Carnival but will do so sooner or later.

There were lots of teens staying at the Palace with families. They were mostly non-divers, but a few were diving (although mostly with the house op). We stayed for 10 nights and my daughter made a bunch of friends; as she was 18 she was able to go with groups to Senior Frog's and a few other spots, all within easy walking distance or a $5 cab ride. To each their own and many people feel that AI's are not ideal accommodations on Cozumel as there are so many good choices for condo's etc.. and so many great places to eat, but the Palace works well for us as we do like to hang in the pool in the afternoon after diving in the morning, play pool volleyball and participate in other activities. We feel comfortable making friends by the pool bar and by the time we leave we have people always stopping by our table at meals to talk about this or that. Who am I to argue as long as I get to dive in Coz?

The other teens from Calgary we met diving with their dad in Belize was at a place very different from the Coz Palace - it was at the Turneffe Island Resort on Turneffe Atoll. Great place, like a live-aboard on land. The resort is the only thing on the island, incredible dive sites all very close by so the surface intervals were all back at the resort. Great accommodations for us; we had a bungalo that was split into two rooms so we could give our daughter her own room, which thrilled her, and the place was safe enough that we did not have to lock the doors. We were fortunate that the two teens from Canada and their Dad were there at the same time; they were all great and we made freinds immediately, and shared meals and good times for the rest of the trip. The place is quite isolated and my daughter might have been bored had they not been there. If you can arrange to go to a place like that when other kids your child's age will be there, we think it is ideal because you can give the kids a free reign; there is no-place to go for them to get into trouble. The same is true of Little Cayman Beach Resort - gorgeous unspoiled island with incrdible diving but very isolated. Again we gave my daughter her own room next to ours, but out of our two trips there she was bored for one - no-one her age was there. The other trip worked better as she did meet two kids at least close to her age - then she loved the place.

Have fun and safe diving!

---------- Post Merged at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:51 AM ----------

I still can't believe she's already in COLLEGE!!! She was just a baby! haha!! Looking forward to having your wife and new diving friends on board with us :)

We can't believe it either - but she is one happy camper and loves her roommates at the University of Rhode Island. She will be missing the next few trips but will soon be off diving on her own. She will still travel with us from time to time. I'm just glad I got her through enough training (AOW, Rescue, Nitrox, and TDI Cavern) so I can sleep at night when she hits the water without me.

Our friends coming with us next year are very experienced divers, but have never been to Cozumel. They love what they've heard of it from me, and I'm thrilled to introduce them to the island this coming April. My wife is just going through her OW now, and we'll be doing her check-out dives at Little Cayman in February. I'll be in touch with you soon to set the diving up!

Lionfish E. and Qnape - Thanks for sharing your stories about your teens and the accomodations. Great stuff, great info. And the Turneffe Island Resort on Turneffe Atoll is very very good information to have. My teen is 13 this year... 14 this December. So we are in precious and fantastic prime time. That is why I am very enthusiastically initiating a coordinated meet-up of a group of families who dive/play/explore WITH their Junior diver teens (WITH being to Lionfish E's point, which is exactly my point). My boy and I love to spend time together -- genuinely enjoy each other's company, quirky and goofy senses of humor, and experiencing together totally new sights and sounds and flavors. And yet I sense it would be enhanced to mix into the experience some comaraderie with other folks joining in. He has been diving Coz with me this past summer and in 2011. We have been staying at the AI Park Royal, but in my own 3 summers of diving in Cozumel, I have only seen 2 other older teens there besides my son. The travel itself including trips to the mainland, in addition to the diving, has so expanded his awareness and lit a fire in him for world travel, journalism, and storytelling. As for his love of the diving... what a beautiful thing to see in him. We got to take him on a bit of a "wall dive" off of Coz's San Francisco reef... because our DM aimed for a section of the reef where the wall sloped more gently (and within our dive profile), rather than hanging my 13 year old out over the abyss. But anyway, he got to hang vertical and drift with a good healthy current along the wall, and that dive affected him so deeply. He wrote for school a creative writing assignment about it called "Drift". I need to find it and post it; it's surreal :) For me... this kind of thing is what I love about diving -- there is something about being in the water that returns us to a natural state of peace and wonder. Soooo chill.

Qnape, best of wishes to the Mrs. in her certification, and here is to a great new chapter in your adventures together!

Hi, just want to introduce myself. I have been certified since 1993 and have almost 1000 dives, although almost all of my dives were done from 1993 to 2001. I haven't dove since the second kid were born but I have been preparing both of them to become a diver since they were young (taking swimming lessons, let them watch my dive video, learning about sea creatures etc). My son was certified when he was 10 while we were in Mexico and my daughter got certified a few months ago and she is 11.

For the past 2 years, I took my son with me on 2 liveaboard diving trips, Avalon in the Bahamas 2 summer ago and the Sun Dancer (Belize) this past summer and so far he has 65 dives and he's barely 13. He also got into underwater photography while in Belize and a couple of his pictures got into the Captain's log for the Sea Dancer.

I am planning to take both my son and daughter to Cozumel next summer, not certain about date yet as my son is in the air cadet and he won't know about his summer course until around March timeframe. It would be wonderful to meet up with other families with junior kids to share the experience.

I have only been to Cozumel once but that was in 1993 right after I got certified so I am researching on where to stay (AI vs nonAI) and who to dive with etc. One advice I got is that I should have a private DM since I have 2 kids with me (especially with my daughter as she is a brand new diver). Also I feel staying at an AI resort will make things much easier as we don't have to worry about walking/taxiing for food etc. Ideally I would hope to do 2 morning dives and 1 afternoon dive and the rest of the day relaxing and enjoying ourselves. Probably take 1 day to do whale shark snorkeling (I think the season starts in early July?).

If anyone has any suggestion on places to stay, where to eat and approximate cost for a 7-10 days stay, it would be great. And if there is a chance to coordinate the trip with another family, that would be extra bonus. Thanks

Danny,

Keep in touch Danny,I will be taking my grandson to Cozumel in June after school lets out.My grandson is 14 and also has around 80 dives,he was certified when he was 10 also.We usually stay at Hotel Cozumel as he likes the pool and can usually find some kids his age to hang around with when we are not diving.I have been going to Coz for about 15 years and have visited there about 60 times and know my way around the island very well.
Newton

Hey Newton, thanks for replying. Definitely keep in touch and I can't believe you have been to Coz so many times. Love to get your thoughts on everything Coz.

Just noticed you are from Jersey, hope you and your family weather thru Sandy last week ok. Take care
Danny,

Wife & I, & our 2 kids are all PADI cert. Son & daughter, now 19 & 16, got cert when both turned 10. Both has been diving with me on every cruise & diving vacation. But my wife for the past few years prefers to go shopping instead now days.
Both kids participated in swim teams from elem to HS, so both are avid swimmers & excellent scuba divers.
Just finished Bahamas & Turks/Caicos dive trips, & has done tons of Cozumel drift diving.
Although we always travel as a family, we now must find another 3 divers to share a 6 pack dive boat...

I am planning to take both my son and daughter to Cozumel next summer, not certain about date yet as my son is in the air cadet and he won't know about his summer course until around March timeframe. It would be wonderful to meet up with other families with junior kids to share the experience.
And if there is a chance to coordinate the trip with another family, that would be extra bonus.

Danny, I replied to your PM. Keep us in mind as your plans take shape. I feel a Junior Diver/Family Cozumel Invasion for summer 2013 coming on.

---------- Post Merged at 10:44 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:35 PM ----------

Wife & I, & our 2 kids are all PADI cert. Son & daughter, now 19 & 16, got cert when both turned 10. Both has been diving with me on every cruise & diving vacation. But my wife for the past few years prefers to go shopping instead now days.
Both kids participated in swim teams from elem to HS, so both are avid swimmers & excellent scuba divers.
Just finished Bahamas & Turks/Caicos dive trips, & has done tons of Cozumel drift diving.
Although we always travel as a family, we now must find another 3 divers to share a 6 pack dive boat...

WHD, That is so fabulous that you have all been diving together as a family as they have gone through their teen years. It is so great, isn't it? Our Junior Divers (under 15) as the topic in this thread are more limited in their advisable dive profile than the older teens. And part of the method to my madness in reaching out in this thread to families with Junior Divers is to be in a good position to share a 6-pack boat that focuses on the sites specifically ideal for a Junior Diver's dive profile. Regardless, best of luck in finding some great diver companions with whom to sync dive trips.

---------- Post Merged at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:35 PM ----------

Im thirteen and certified but neither of my parents dive, and cozumel is a little hard for me right now but i'd love to join a group like that

WI - You are doing a great job following up on your passion for diving. Keeping your ear to the ground for opportunities. Stay tuned to the Board for trips that may be doable for you over time. Best of luck in your diving adventures!

---------- Post Merged at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:35 PM ----------

Keep in touch Danny,I will be taking my grandson to Cozumel in June after school lets out.My grandson is 14 and also has around 80 dives,he was certified when he was 10 also.We usually stay at Hotel Cozumel as he likes the pool and can usually find some kids his age to hang around with when we are not diving.I have been going to Coz for about 15 years and have visited there about 60 times and know my way around the island very well.
Newton
Newton - I have a feeling we may have been on a boat with you and your boy over the past 3 years. I remember an advanced diver from Jersey who visited Cozumel often and was with his young teenage grandson who dove a lot too. We have been diving the past 3 years with Dive Paradise (2010), Scuba Mau (2011), and Blue XTSea (this summer)... and I am thinking it could have been on Mau's boat. The grandson liked to climb up on top of the forward deck and ride on the way to and from the dive sites. Nice guys. Please keep my boy and me in your thoughts for next June, as it could be nice to time a stay at Hotel Cozumel when we know another 14 year old teen/diver is going to be there.

Hi MeraSonnett,Yes that is us.I dove with you guys with ScubaMau,I guess in 2011.I just got back from Coz last week but dove solo this trip.It would be great if we could organize a group trip for the summer and I know my grandson Josh would really love diving with kids is own age as he gets tired of diving with an old man.
Newt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom