Coz on a budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kentmorrdave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This review is for those of you want to do a trip to Cozumel inexpensively. Please see my reviews of El Presidente and Cozumel Palace if you prefer upscale accommodations. Hotel Aguilar is located on Calle 3 Sur, just up from Melgar, the ocean front road. It is $45 USD a night, which includes tax. It has two double beds, a small refrigerator, small bath, and good air conditioning. My dive shop stored my gear but I think gear storage would be a problem here. Lots of hot water for showers. Very basic, pretty clean. It has a pool but I never saw anyone use it. The pool could be better maintained. The office is staffed 24 hours per day and they are friendly.

Just through the parking lot in the back of the hotel is restaurant Sabores. A very nice place that serves lunch Monday through Saturday from noon until 4 p.m. The hotel is just around the corner from my dive shop, Aldora, and just up the street from their dock. It was the perfect location for my one-week visit. I limited my area to walk around and explore to Ave 30 to the east, Calle 8 North to the north, and Calle 7 Sur to the south, and Melgar to the west. I never needed a cab except when I came from the airport. I had a friend drop me off at the airport. There are lots and lots of restaurants in easy walking distance. So is San Francisco supermarket and Covi. When I had breakfast it was about three dollars, lunch about 5 dollars and dinner 7 to 10 dollars.

Departure from a crisp, cold DCA airport starts off late. We make our connection in CLT because it is late. We arrive late to CZM along with 4 other planes. Customs goes smooth and we zip through in twenty minutes. Green light and I am off to purchase my taxi fare. $5 USD to centro. When I told the driver Aguilar, he asked me again not knowing if I was sure what I was getting into. Of course, the others in the van were going to El Cantil and FA. They gave my hotel a look over as we stopped in front. By the way, cash only at Aguilar. When I take the kids and my wife in April we will be back at Cozumel Palace. But for this trip I am determined to keep the cost down. So far, air fare $375 and hotel $313, a good start. The weather is 81 and nice.

I head to the dive shop with my gear. I eye up a spot on the wall at 3 and Melgar that will be my hang out spot for the week. I grab some toronja soda and water from the mini super and head for the wall. I am there a few minutes and here comes a guy on a bike yelling “ Tamales”. I wave him on over. 15 pesos for 1 large chicken tamale, covered with a nice, warm tomato sauce. I do not know what he charges locals but it was still a good deal for 15 pesos. The tamales on Cozumel are wrapped in banana leaves and are much bigger than the ones I had as a kid in So Cal. He had added chile to the masa and they were nice. I watch the sun go down and chat with Julian from Aldora on the wall.

After stowing my soda and water I head over to Tony Rome’s and meet up with him and the family. We chat awhile and make some plans for a Travelnoters get together February 2. His restaurant is this close to being finished-good luck amigo as you cross the finish line.

Dinner at Los Tres Gatitos. A limited menu but all good. 1 salbute, 2 panuchos, pork torta and Jamaica-57 pesos. The owner, along with his wife is an Sr.Jose Angulo.Nice folk, clean place. This is the only place I went to twice this week. The locals bring big pots over and he fills them up with an awesome chicken noodle soup. He told me the original location his father and grandfather started was on Melgar, years ago. He has relatives that own Careycitos on 65, a similar restaurant. Anyways, the meal is served with crispy tortilla chips; a smooth avocado spread and a FIREY hot habanero salsa. Muy Bueno.Time for bed, 8:45 CST but 9:45 EST.

Sitting on Aldora pier early Sunday morning watching a rainbow. Up walks scubabetsy, she is working on Bluextsea this day with a client. She did not know me of course but we met later in the week at Tony Rome’s. We leave the pier at 7:30, on Pescador, and head for Colombia deep. The current, the first of a few this week, is running crazy directions. We attempt to enter “Dave’s Throat”, but miss our entry. We head south! over Punta Sur and end our dive over the sand at 62 minutes. The first dive of a strange Cozumel dive week. The viz on this dive, like a few others this week, was fair at best. However, lots of turtles like several dives this week. Some were clinging to the reef, I assume eating and trying to stay out of the strong current. Following a two-hour SI at Playa Mia, we enjoy a nice 76-minute dive at La Francessa.After a shower I head down to Melgar and watch a norte blow in. Cool, crisp, clear skies but rough water. Hopefully, it will not last long. I have dinner at La Altentina, just around the corner from the mini golf. Shrimp tacos and a fish torta with soda for 87 pesos. An early night watching ESPN Super Bowl highlights in Spanish-ahh Cozumel.

Monday Morning 1-29-07 it is blowing. Small boats are put on hold. Memo from the shop comes to the hotel and offers east side diving, but at $150 a day I am too cheap. There is so much more involved in diving over there, as they send a second boat in case the first boat breaks down. So I wait. I walk to the Mercado. I see a great taco stand with a buffet type set up. You point out your fillings and they fill up your taco. It was packed and I looked out of place. I head over to Mission Parilla on 30. Huevos rancheros, beans, rice 25 pesos. These guys sell a ton of food for take out. After breakfast I head to Bancomer to exchange my travelers checks. 10.95 to the dollar. 10 minute wait. I am now waiting to see if we go diving, and I see the Aquaworld big boats loading up so that’s a good sign. Success, we have a noon departure from Caleta. Arrive at Palancar Caves for 66 minutes of marveling at the formations along with tons more turtles. Still, no eagle rays.1 ½ hour SI at Playa Mia then second dive at Yucab. The current was running from the west to east and our DM insists we swim across it. Good exercise. Since it was close to 5 p.m. we score a nice octopus at the end, an early riser. Diving with the Cole family from Minnesota, nice folks. Off to El Pique for dinner.2 arrachera tacos con queso, ½ order frijoles charros. I grab a Pastor Panquetone to go for breakfast the next day. A panquetone is a sub sandwich. All was very good, along with 2 sols 116 pesos. A little more expensive than other places but very good quality.

1-30-07 A strange day on the boat. We start at Santa Rosa. The current is ripping. It is so strong it creates an underwater sand storm. Needless to say it turned a normally spectacular dive rather ordinary. Our second dive on Las Palmas went north to south. A strange dive day. Head in, grab a shower and off to Melgar. Here comes my tamale buddy with my $30 peso lunch. Then it happens. I see my first scooter crash. As I was leaving the hotel I noticed a couple renting two scooters. Not two minutes later the husband rolls through the stop sign at 3rd and bounces his back tire off the median twice, but holds on. Then, the wife blows through the stop sing and plows into the no u-turn sign, crashing the scooter and she goes over the bars and lands on Melgar southbound. Luckily, no car was coming. The cabbies and police are there immediately to help. She is not seriously hurt. The police question her, she seemed a little perturbed, and is taken away until cost could be determined. Do not rent a scooter unless you know how to ride it. I’m up a little later than usual tonight and head over to Camillos for dinner. They now have two places, one on 5 between 2 & 4 north and on 10 between Salas and 1. Good food but more pricey than further up town. The one on 10 has Sr. Jose Foot, formerly of Las Palmeras and La Morena. I stop by Tony Rome’s and chat with him about twenty minutes.
1-31-07 Off at 7:30 on the Aldora 5. Just me and Sherwood from Villa Aldora today. Two divers and a DM, nice. We are in the water by 8:30. Columbia regular. We get started in a beautiful swim through and are greeted by a hovering Green Moray. Almost Disney like, he stays there and allows pictures. He then retracts back in the cave, almost surreal. Currents are normal today. We have a relaxing 67-minute cruise. We drift north over the bricks, caves and horseshoe. Beautiful heads of coral one after another. These dives are why I come back to Cozumel, again and again.1½ hour SI at Playa Mia with cold rain, then sun. Crazy weather all week. San Francisco for the second dive. We start off with a baby pipe seahorse. We then get to see this beautiful drum fish, followed by a parade with a black grouper and nurse shark. Awesome. This was the first dive of the week without a turtle. A perfect two-dive set. There are 6 ships in port. I attempt to take it in from my perch on Melgar but the rain runs me off. I sit in the room and hunger strikes, again. I walk through the parking lot of the hotel to Sabores. They are only open 12-4 p.m.Almost all meals are under 50 pesos. For instance, tacos de pollo, chicken soup and a fruit drink. That’s for 4 tacos! I highly recommend this place. There must have been 25 divers there. Sabores on 5, between 3 & 5. As I am leaving the place the cheese guy walks by hollering Queso Oxaca! A nice, Cozumel experience.

Back
Top Bottom