Iberostar or Villa Aldora for family with non-diving kids?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wateraddiction

Registered
Reaction score
We are coming in May with our 9 & 11 yos who like to snorkel and enjoyed PADI Bubblemaker in Bonaire. We initially booked Iberostar due to the convenience of feeding the kids, big pools, kids club, etc. The proximity to the reef from IB is appealing since we were thinking we could switch off with one of us doing a 2 tank morning dive and the other doing a 2 tank afternoon, and we wouldn't have to hire a babysitter everyday (although we would prob do that a couple of times so we could dive together). Downside is AI food for parents, no snorkeling from shore, and it's expensive.

But then I saw Villa Aldora and the Falice suite looks perfect for a family and of course, I'd love to dive with Aldora again (certified by Liang 15+ ago) -- plus the easy access to town for good food is a plus. Challenges with kids: we would need a babysitter everyday (any recs?) and I'm guessing dives will take an extra 50-60 min for travel time to the reef. Villa Aldora does have a pool but not sure if kids in a small pool would annoy other guests. If the snorkeling is similar to when I'd stay at Condumel, this would be great as my 8 yo loved night snorkeling in Roatan. The shore diving option with Aldora is also really appealing as my husband was recently certified and would love un-scheduled time in the water.

Any feedback from diving families on these two options (I haven't stayed at either). Would 9,11 yos kill the vibe at Villa Aldora, do we need to wait a couple of years before we leave the AI behind?

This isn't even close. Go to Iberostar.

Villa Aldora is a nice place for divers, but there's nothing for the non-diver to do anywhere around there. OK, you could snorkel off their dock. But it's all rocks and coral, there's no sandy spots to take a break. It's also a 20-30 walk to town for food. So you are either cooking at the Villa or taxi rides/long walks for every meal.

Having been to both myself, Aldora as recently as last week, I would say Iberostar as well.
We took our two kids when they were thirtneenish or so and stayed at Iberostar, they still talk about it years later. I personally couldn’t imagine my kids at Aldora at that age. It’s a pretty quiet place, that’s one of the appeals of it.

I don't know your family or financial situation, but if you have a grand parent or a nanny type person you could bring with you, you might want to consider renting a condo at El Cantil. The cost difference might make bringing the "help" worthwhile of only for the piece of mind. Your two could dive together in the mornings and then spend the rest of the day with kids, giving the "nanny" the rest of the time off, except maybe a night or two out. The condo is right on the shore at the edge of town. Across the street from the Chedraui (sp.). Has a nice pool and a pier to jump off of and snorkel around.

We stayed there for 10 days a couple years ago and it was fantastic. First family Vaca in years where I wasn't stuck driving around, didn't even rent a car. 10 min walk to center of town. Concierge guy set us up with a private Taxi/Van for a round the island pub crawl. Dove with Tres Pelicans, they sent a car or picked us up every day for diving.

Hardest part was leaving to go home.

Iberostar for sure.

Diving day at Aldora starts at 0730 and ends at 1:30 or 2:00 PM.
Diving at Iberostar with Dressel dive is 10 min to reef, 50 to 60 min dive, 10 min back to resort for SI. You have the option of not doing a 2 tank dive. You can do an afternoon dive.

Food at Villa aldora- none unless you cook it
Food at Iberostar is on demand.

Pool at Aldora- 1 deep salt water pool
Pool at Iberostar is many shallower pool

Entertainment at Aldora- relaxing by water reading a book
Entertainment at Iberostar‐ kids club and things going on all day

Now I have stayed at Villa Aldora many times and Iberostar a few. For me it would be the Villa, but I am 60 with a diving wife and no kids.

You can still arrange diving with Aldora at Iberostar but you will not go back for SI and they cannot dock at pier to pick you up. You have to wade out in waist high water to boat (not an issue, you are going to get wet anyway). You leave resort around 8 get back to resort around 1.

Iberostar is for families and the kids will love it. You can snorkel at Iberostar. It is mostly sand grass beds but you can find interesting things if you look. Go "left" facing the ocean (head South) down the beach. There is a house with a very sandy entry in front of it. No one is ever at that house. Then just float with the super mild current back to the dock.

Also bring some Pesos and take a cab into town once or twice for an in town dinner and shopping.

When we stay there we dive with someone like Tres Pelicanos because the trip is so fast. Pick up at ~8:20 and back at hotel by noon. This minimizes time away. Or you can dive with the site ops and they return to the hotel for surface interval. The kids can see the boat coming and come visit you. Also, they run 4 trips a day so you can dive morning or afternoon for great flexibility.

So that's like a maybe for Villa Aldora? Just kidding, but these responses are bumming me out since they're suggesting we're kinda stuck at bigger resorts for at least the next 4 years. (We have a former nanny but she wouldn't want to do this unless she could bring her own kids along).

We were originally looking at Mayan Princess in West Bay Roatan (MP allows parents to dive while their children are in Kids Club) but airfare to RTB is crazy this year, maybe time to open another CC.

Curious as to what tweens do at Iberostar since I'm a little worried that my now 10 yo may not be thrilled with kids clubs, esp by Spring? Thanks so much for these helpful responses, excited to return to Cozumel after so long!

Not to mention, the other guests at Aldora Villa would prefer you go to Iberostar. One of the reasons people choose Aldora Villa is because of the quiet. Last thing they want is a couple of kids running around shrieking and hollering and laughing.

My wife and son are both non-divers. We are planning a return trip for next year and are booking Iberostar. Looks to be best suited for our needs as a diver and non.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom