Diving with Aldora report from early June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check out dive for an instructor? After 4 years? Seriously? Sorry, I disagree with you. Pro Dive is a sorry mess of a cattle boat operation. I’m solidly with the OP here.
tridacna,

Thanks for agreeing with my point! Pro Dive definitely looked like a mess and so did most of the divers using them!

I personally would have also let it go at the instructor card.

I just found the post-trip rationale of having been snorkeling and using full face SCBA on the surface....unrelated at best.
backprop,
So now you say you would have let it go after seeing an instructor card but before you were basically calling me a crazy whiner for thinking I shouldn't have to make a pool dive??

Again, my point was that he was still asking me to make a pool checkout dive AFTER I told him I had made multiple pool dives while teaching my sons over the past two summers! Adding in snorkeling/freediving multiple times since my last dive isn't "unrelated at best"! Neither is using FD SCBA constantly. I was the only scuba diver in my fire academy...I was leaps and bounds ahead of everyone on easily mastering operating on air and feeling comfortable using SCBA in a firefighting environment.

Do you also think water and snow skiing have nothing to do with each other as far as skills go? lol

tridacna,

Thanks for agreeing with my point! Pro Dive definitely looked like a mess and so did most of the divers using them!

Waiting for your report on the Occidental…

I personally would have also let it go at the instructor card.

I just found the post-trip rationale of having been snorkeling and using full face SCBA on the surface....unrelated at best.

They are sorta related. Tells me more about the OP’s fitness to dive. I get the impression (CMIIW) that the OP mentioned that after the counter clerk told him that his instructor’s lack of recent experience was an issue and then things got “spicy” in their ensuing discussion.

I used ProDive once for only one dive. Big mistake. I switched to Dive Palancar right after that.

They are sorta related. Tells me more about the OP’s fitness to dive. I get the impression (CMIIW) that the OP mentioned that after the counter clerk told him that his instructor’s lack of recent experience was an issue and then things got “spicy” in their ensuing discussion.

I used ProDive once for only one dive. Big mistake. I switched to Dive Palancar right after that.
Exactly!! Absolutely they all tie in together. Plus, if you see me in person, I have the appearance of a very physically fit, athletic person. You know, coupled with my experience I was trying to relate to that bonehead, one could safely assume that I would much more competent than the lard butt who shows up saying he was certified 2 years ago and dived within the past year. You know, the guy that the counter douche will NOT require to do a pool dive! lol

When Dive Palancar was operating out of the Occidental during our trip nearly 14 years ago, things were much better. But my point of this post was to sing the praises of Aldora and give a solid recommendation for them. Not to get in a pissing match with certain people :wink:

I'm hoping to get some time the next 2 days to write up our Occidental experience...stay tuned.

Interesting report. I have a question on a minor technicality that may seem practically irrelevant, but might confuse a newbie researching options. Aldora has long been known as one of the few Cozumel dive op.s offering 120-cf steel tanks (HP 120 and 100-cf tanks, judging from a quick glance at one of their webpages just now). Per your report:

and let me dive steel 117s

I am sold on nitrox and steel 117s
How did you arrive at the 117? Did they say it was that volume, did you go by what your dive computer said, or is that what the tanks were judged to actually hold once they cooled down after being filled?

Interesting report. I have a question on a minor technicality that may seem practically irrelevant, but might confuse a newbie researching options. Aldora has long been known as one of the few Cozumel dive op.s offering 120-cf steel tanks (HP 120 and 100-cf tanks, judging from a quick glance at one of their webpages just now). Per your report:

How did you arrive at the 117? Did they say it was that volume, did you go by what your dive computer said, or is that what the tanks were judged to actually hold once they cooled down after being filled?
They bought some new tanks.
They are shorter and fatter than the 120's

Aldora still has 120s and 100s. They added the 117s to the mix. I’ll still use the 120s, but much prefer the 117s. It’s easier to gear up with the shorter tank and to manage trim.

Aldora still has 120s and 100s. They added the 117s to the mix. I’ll still use the 120s, but much prefer the 117s. It’s easier to gear up with the shorter tank and to manage trim.
Very interesting. I’ll be back down there for my 6th7th? trip with them in a few months and have always loved the 120’s because it allows me to use 0 lbs of weight while still coming up with 1200+psi even after 80–90 minutes… What is the weight difference with the 117‘s? I remember during my first trip I would use 4 pounds and then dropped to 2 pounds and then nothing; perhaps I’ll take my two 1lb soft weights with me again (and hope they don’t confiscate them again at the Coz. airport 👎) just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom