Cozumel aftermath of Hurricane Wilma from my Scuba Club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mars2u

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I wanted to post an e-mail I recieved while my Scuba club was in Cozumel. They brought video back and were interviewed by an Instructor friend of mine that also happens to be a meteorologist for the local TV station. Hopefully this will give you a good idea of what to expect if you are planning on traveling to the Hotel Barracuda...at least it'll give you an idea of the damage.

Thankfully they are all OK.

There is multiple video from the Hotel Barracuda and my friends discussing Wilma.
http://www.kctv5.com/Global/story.asp?S=4043748

Here's the e-mail thread before the hurricane hit and after they got back.
10/19/2005

Hi Friends,
Yes were are here in cozumel...fixing to ride out the biggest storm ever in the history of the atlantic...we have lots of food water and beer...;-)
they are all preparing ...the shelves at the store are empty...
10 of us are still here..
mike, tamara, dave, pam, tom, peggy, margie, danny, larry, sherry, addie, and bob...
oops that is 12 ;-) eithere way.....
shirlee and julie made it out today...
bob and dave are supposed to get out tomorrow but doubtful..

anyway....we will keep you posted after the storm...after we get power,. and oh my....
what an experience...

sea ya soon, pam

10/26/05
Well this scuba trip story tops all stories and adventures...
We will be sharing all the details with you very very soon...
Right now..I am exhausted....and have no extra bubbles in this tank...
Thank you all for the phone calls in Mexico before and during the storm until we lost all power...
The Barracuda...She took a beating....we rode the storm out for 2 days inside but you wont believe all that we will be sharing with you..We were evacuated on the second day by the marines during the storm as a category 3 still and put in a shelter...which we spent four nights in. 2 of our members suffered injuries that required stitching but we save all of the juicy details for all of you to hear direct.
As for those that have booked Cozumel for February...cross your fingers and say your prayers, the owner assures me that he will be ready for us...but we may be staying elsewhere...either way we will be going..!!!
They need our money!
But for now..Thanks too to all of you for your emails and phone calls to my kids!! That was the hard part! Not being anywhere near them...
But we had the most awesome group of Scuba Friends to weather the storm with...
Thanks thanks Thanks!!!!
I am so happy to be home!
Pam

Glad you are OK and glad Barracuda did not "crumble to the sea" as we heard in the first Reuters report from there. Now that the Barracuda has weathered the strongest storm in history, lets see once it is repaired if it can continue to weather the cruise ships next door!!! They are stronger than the storm ....

Hope to see you soon Juan Guzman!!!!

juan.jpg

Until we meet again!
D&SCZM1.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom