Cozumel and Currents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luv2dive

Reaction score
Cozumel will be my first ocean dive and I know its a drift dive. How fast do you drift? I heard when the boat picks you up that it does'nt even stop because the current is moving so swiftly. Is it hard the get back in the boat? I'm really excited but wondering what to expect. I'm planning on diving 3 days 2 tanks. Any suggestions which reefs to do first?

Cozumel was my first "dive vacation" and I too wondered about the currents. You'll have no problem getting in or out of the boat. The boats don't anchor so they're drifting with you at most sites. Most of the dives I've done in Cozumel had mild current that was enough to move you maybe 1-2 knots along the reef. When under you can always duck behind the coral heads to get some relief from the current to capture a picture or investigate some sites. When we did the C-53 (?) 'wreck' the current was quite swift and even appeared to be going the opposite direction. At this site the boat moors at a buoy and you use the mooring line for descent and ascent. At our safety stop we were blowing horizontally like flags off the line.

I just checked my log book and these were my favorite dives:

La Francessa
Palacar Caves
Santa Rosa Wall
Tormentos Reef
Punta Sur/Devils Throat - exciting dive for a beginner, however short due to the depth

-jeff

I just returned from a week in Cozumel, 5 days, 3 dives per. I only had one dive where the current was more than mild, and that one wasn't too bad.

Enjoy!

Hi Luv2Dive,

I've regularly been diving Coz for 18 years, so hopefully I can shed some light.

Yes, Coz is essentially entirely drift diving (technically it's live-boating, but the distinction isn't critical for this discussion). The boat will drop you off, you'll drift with the divemaster leading, and the boat will be waiting when you surface as group. It's the greatest--no fatiguing finning, no navigational nags & lots of reef gets ridden.

The current typically runs from the SE to the NW, and at about a knot or two, but it can hit 3 or 4 knots. Usually you can fin into it, but not for long. Going with the flow is where it's at on Coz. Many Coz newbies have concern about drift diving, but few remain so once they've tried it.

This is not to say it's always a piece of cake. Occasionally wicked up & downcurrents appear, and these take some special skills to handle. Very, very rarely you just get roller-coastered along out of control. In fact, some years ago our own Dr. BillP & some others got into one of these on Coz & ended up getting a couple of chamber treatments. You may want to read my Undercurrent piece on dealing with such currents. It's accessable by going to this URL---> http://www.undercurrent.org entering downwelling in the search box, and clicking on entry #2. If you have trouble, let me know. It's the DM's job to keep you out of these, and they're quite good at it, although occasionally rogue currents pop up out of nowhere & there's simply no preventing having to deal with it.

Of course, what reefs you do first depends on a number of factors, such as where the boat went yesterday & the day before, where the majority on the boat wants to dive, where the best conditions are that day, the Captain's & DM's moods, etc.

Some nice reefs that are not too deep or right on precipitous walls include Dahlila, La Francesa & Maracaibo Shallows.

Go, relax & have fun.

DocVikingo

Hey there...I'm from AL or at least I was born there and lived there for four years...then the military took us away but we went back at least twice a year. I still have family in Cullman (Battleground area). I used to take my kids to the waterpark in Huntsville every summer when we would visit my folks. So where do you dive around there?

Ok...now about that drift diving..........

I did not dive Cozumel for several years because I had heard the "current" stories and I was not sure if I wanted to do that. However; after last year's trip, I am definitely converted. Drift diving is the easiest diving I have ever done and absolutely beautiful in Cozumel. As long as you are going with a trusted operation and listen to their briefing about where and where not to go and what to do if you encounter a strong current, and practice all of your safe diving skills, you will be fine and will love it. I wish I had not waited so long to do it.

We were there in July and we did not encounter the very strong currents that can occur there. My first dive was on Chankanaab Reef....which really wasn't a true drift dive so it gave me a chance to get the feel for the salt water again and be comfortable with the dive operation and their practices. It's only about 350 yards offshore and depths of about 30-50feet. It is a haven for small marine creatures. There are small mountains of coralheads covered with gorgonians & sea fans. This is a great site for macro photos. This is where we saw a 6" seahorse on the sandy bottom clinging to sea grass and a huge lobster moving around in the open on top of a coral head.

For the second dive, we went over to Paradise Reef (south) which had a very light current and gave me a taste of what was to come as far as drift diving. We moved over areas of sand from coral head to coral head and there was a wall nearby. Saw so much...hard to report it all - giant crabs, numerous small fish like chromis, grunts, yellowhead wrase, etc...as well as a variety of corals - staghorn, brain and vase sponges and conch....

The next day we went to Palancar Gardens.....this is the most famous reef introduced to the world in 1954 by Jacques Cousteau. It is actually a huge coral mountain with over 40 locations including crevices, ravines, canyons, caves and swim-thrus...etc... The fish here are incredible and the variety & number are amazing. Queen angels are everywhere.....awesome pictures can be had here. Saw a Queen triggerfish, many whitespotted filefish in both phases white spot and orange, black durgon, scrawled filefish and so on and so on......

Other sites we did....

Paso del Cedral (Cedar Pass)...another shallower one at 30-60'. This is where we got the picture of the huge black grouper and saw a very large old sleeping turtle. This was a wonderful float and view dive....just relaxed and enjoyed the sites.

Santa Rosa Wall......MY FAVORITE........We had a mild current but that is usually not the case so listen to your briefing and follow their instructions about staying close to the wall - less current the closer you are to the wall. The wall starts at 40' and drops off to the abyss. This is an almost sheer vertical wall - very impressive. Enjoy some of the swim throughs and watch for the splendid toad fish....we saw several here, but they are everywhere...just playing hide and seek. Fish fish and more fish. You'll see large tube, barrel and vase sponges and gorgeous fans. Thanks to an excellend Divemaster and lighter than usual current this was #1 for me.

Yucab Reef - 50-70' Coral formations rise from 5 to 10 feet out of the sand. The caves are on the down current side. Some tunnels and passages....but our DM on this dive did not allow us to explore any. We drifted over and beside reef looking down at the coral and sponges on the sand bottom and the abundant fish life. This site is well known for the large number of big file fish that abound. True to reputation, they were everywhere.

Caution! Fire coral on the reefs. Wear protection. One of the divers on our boat did not wear a wetsuit and was very sorry after the dive.

As far as how fast you drift....oh geez, I couldn't tell you. For us, it was not so fast that we zipped by everything too quickly not to enjoy the "little critters", my husband was taking pictures for the first time and he didn't have any trouble. It moved us along at a pleasant pace - and no finning....it really was fun! Just like floating in zero-gravity....well, I am guessing on that one...but you get the drift.

As far as the boat not stopping....well, ours did! Getting into the boat was not hard - just climbed up the ladder onto the platform and then onto the deck....the crew was there to help. Of course, different boats have different exit and entry points and procedures. This was in a very calm sea and that made it even easier too.

Where will you be staying and what dive operation will you be using? Oh and when are you going?

I'm sure there will be others that can tell you more about drift diving and Cozumel....have fun and dive within your limits! Our friends are there right now........AAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHH......the green-eyed monster just came out for a sec....sorry about that!
But, we leave for Coco View Resort on Roatan next week.....first time there and looking forward to the adventure.

I'd insert a picture of me on my first drift dive....not exactly very graceful or "trimmed out" but having fun, except the picture is too big for the format on here and I don't have the software yet to change the size of the picture....but if you'd like....private msg me and let me know your regular email and I'll send it to you. Also I have one of the huge (and I do mean huge) black grouper and me that my husband took. It's my favorite.

Well, I've probably given you way more information than you asked for....but....can you tell I LOVED drift diving??!! I think you will too.

TropiGal, when you say wear a wetsuit due to the firal coral, does the thickness matter? Will a dive skin prevent the sting?

astrl

I haven't researched that...and haven't experienced the result of no protection. I usually wear my 3ml jump...so I'm covered in the event that I would bump into the coral...keeping in mind that the goal is NOT to do that. I'm sure there are more experienced divers out there who could speak to this better. But I am thinking that as long as the skin is not touched, you'd be ok - so a skin might work as long as it was not penetrated. Help me out on this ....divers?

Thanks all for the info and tips. Doc V, I read about the upwellings and downwelling on the site and hope that I don't get to meet one on my first dive trip to Cozumel! It's good to know the info in case it does occur.
TropiGal, Hey from AL! We dive in a quarry in Madison AL usually, some people dive the TN river but I have'nt tried that yet. We will be going to Coz in 2days!! Staying at the Iberostar and diving with "Cabalito del Caribe"

Originally posted by Luv2dive
Thanks all for the info and tips. Doc V, I read about the upwellings and downwelling on the site and hope that I don't get to meet one on my first dive trip to Cozumel! It's good to know the info in case it does occur.
TropiGal, Hey from AL! We dive in a quarry in Madison AL usually, some people dive the TN river but I have'nt tried that yet. We will be going to Coz in 2days!! Staying at the Iberostar and diving with "Cabalito del Caribe"

haha...Tropigal pretty much covered the reefs for ya! You'll be diving with one of the best operators down there. Caballitos has always been our favorite and we won't dive with anyone else. Tell DMs Israel, Adrian and Julio, as well as Giovani, one of the boat captains...hello from Doug and Davida. Your DM will brief you an any conditions and how to handle them. Caballito's DM's are very careful and will change dive sites if they don't think you can handle it. Just be sure to give them an honest assessment of your skills. Plus they will be watching you closely for the first couple of dives.

As for protection, a lycra skin is just perfect.

BTW...have a great time at CCV. We have to wait until April! :(

You'll think you're in Heaven when you hit that blue warm water in Cozumel. TN River? Naaaaaahhhhhhh.......you're doing it right! I've never been diving in the Tennessee....boated it and skied it ... would not want to dive it.

Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy! and don't forget to let us know how it was!

As far as the dive skin question? I've been surfing some sites and from what I can find so far......the dive skin will do the trick...so until we hear otherwise....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom