Cozumel Fiesta Americana / Dive House Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, that's a good thing right there!

What was your longest bottom time diving with them?

How'd they manage keeping everybody diving? Did they require everybody to have dive sausages and send them up on their own as they got short on air while they stayed with those below?
I'll have to get back to you with my longest bottom time after I check my dive computer. I have good air consumption, and I was always one of the last to surface. Their rule is: no computer, dive the tables. Computer: stay out of decompression and surface with 700 psi. They do not require you to have a sausage, but there are usually two divemasters with the group, both of which carry sausages. As a diver left the group, one DM would inflate a sausage from depth and keep it raised until that diver was with the boat. Several days we had a couple in their 80's diving with us. They usually had a DM assigned to watch them, and would surface when they did.
They did not make everyone stay in a tight group, which I like, rather, as long as you kept them in sight, that was ok. You were not made to follow the group through caves or swim throughs. That is the way I like to dive.

I hadn't posted a trip report earlier due to not wanting to leave to negative of a report. But now that some time has passed I'll add my 2 psi to the discussion. I was at Fiesta Americana in mid March 2011 for a week with my 2 kids (aged 13 and 14) during their spring-break. Typically I like to stay at either a very small and quiet place (ex Belmar in Bonaire or rent a condo). However on this trip, my wife (their mom) couldn't join us this trip, so I chose an all-inclusive to make the arrangements simpler as a single dad. This was my first trip to Cozumel, but I am of the impression that the feel and flavor of the place varies depending on the time one visits. I say this because there was a definite "Spring-Break" feel to the place when I was there. These were non-divers who basically took full advantage of the all-inclusive alcohol and tended to sit around the pool smoking all day and with loud music at night. I suppose if that is what you are looking for in a locale you'll find plenty of it here.

The first meal or two were pretty decent; but then it started to get old. I was expecting to eat more Mexican food that week and was really disappointed. I ended up skipping meals or would just eat some fruit and yogurt. I am kind of snobbish about my coffee (grind it just before brewing and use a French Press) and was very disappointed by the coffee. We probably should have taken a taxi into town a few times for meals. I did end up losing 3 pounds though that week which I suppose is looking on the bright side. We all got some sort of stomach bug that week with my son waking us up in the wee hours of the morning vomiting. It is hard to say if it was the food or what but it did add to our gastronomic misery.

On the positive side of the ledger, the price was good, the view is great, our rooms were clean and certainly adequate. I found the staff to be helpful and polite - but I do speak Spanish and did so pretty much exclusively while there. Sometimes I think Latin Americans can appear insular or stand-offish when they are a little uncomfortable with their English skills. Also being this far south of town made the boat rides shorter if this matters. (I enjoy the ride and watching the shore pass by.)

I had planned to dive with Dive House, but was told that they were booked the whole week. I'm glad I procrastinated setting up those arrangements as Cristi with Blue XTSea came through for us at the last minute (thanks to Scubaboard!). The Dive House boats would fit my definition of "Cattle Boats". As we would wait to be picked up in the morning, there seemed to be a good bit of chaos on the dock and then a lot of scrambling to pack all on the boat. Those boats were full to the gills all week. In contrast, our little Panga was just the 3 of us plus 1 or 2 other couples. Most days it was just 1 other couple. The boat was basic but comfortable (nice bimini). We had fruit juice, fresh fruit and pastries between dives. Our dive master, Pedro had just the right amount of hands-on for my liking. (Ex. would grab a strap from behind your back or help with a shoulder strap - things you can do by yourself, but are easier if someone helps.) Underwater, Pedro would let us dive our profiles. I carried along my own reel and sausage and would surface with my son - who is the smallest and youngest yet the heaviest on the air. My daughter would stay down with the dive master till she'd reached around 700 and then surface along his reel. Our time with the Blue XTC operation really made the trip special. If/when we go back we'll most likely rent a condo in or near town and dive with a small op.

Good trip report, loved the read.

I'm glad you liked FA. It's been our top pick for a few years now, but now that they are AI, the wife and I won't be going back. We love making our own meals or going out into town. Either way, I still have nothing but praise for the cleanliness of the hotel.

We never dove with the house dive operator and have been diving with Raul at Bottomtimedivers.net. Six pack boats are so nice to have and you don't hear the horror stories like you gave about all the divers in one area.

Either way, glad you enjoyed it and thanks for sharing your trip!

Good trip report, loved the read.

I'm glad you liked FA. It's been our top pick for a few years now, but now that they are AI, the wife and I won't be going back.
Isn't the AI package at FA optional? BTW, I noticed a couple of weeks ago for the first time that the name of the place is FiestAmericana, not Fiesta Americana. At least that's what it says on the building.

NIce report, thanks for sharing. Now lets see some pics or I call shens on the whole thing. :)

No shen calling yet. I'll post a few from the trip.
photostream

No shen calling yet. I'm trying to upload some pics of the trip

Attachments

• queen1.jpg
    queen1.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 59
  • qtrigr3.JPG
    qtrigr3.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 56
  • queeneyes.jpg
    queeneyes.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 59
a few more....well, maybe more than a few

Attachments

• starcrl.JPG
    starcrl.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 55
  • trtl1.jpg
    trtl1.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 54
  • frnch1.jpg
    frnch1.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 62
  • trigr.jpg
    trigr.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 48
  • silhreef.jpg
    silhreef.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 52
  • spongeater.jpg
    spongeater.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 54
  • stopltprt.JPG
    stopltprt.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 53
  • trtlhov.JPG
    trtlhov.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 65
  • frnchgrntcor.jpg
    frnchgrntcor.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 53
  • spngs.jpg
    spngs.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 46
Thnx for the report

Isn't the AI package at FA optional? BTW, I noticed a couple of weeks ago for the first time that the name of the place is FiestAmericana, not Fiesta Americana. At least that's what it says on the building.

We were there in October of 2010. They had flyers saying that they were switching to AI completely. Now that could have changed over the months, but everything I saw pointed to a permanent change :(

And yes, I think it is all one word...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom