Cozumel has an Angel watching over it!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lawman:
I had just gotten ready to send my deposit for a one week trip
in January. Is the Fiesta OK? I think I'll wait until after Jeanne
goes by before paying anybody anything!!

Fiesta Americana is fine as well. Keep in mind that most of the structures here are built out of solid cement and alot of rebarb (sp?).

Most places you can't even tell anything came through at all. We had tropical storm conditions, not hurricane conditions.

Jeannie is not predicted to head anywhere near Cozumel.

If your trip isn't until January, I don't think you have much to worry about.

NOVIZWHIZ:
Thanx for the update - we're supposed to visit Cozumel and GC next week (leave port on the 19th out of Tampa). Looks like GC took a pretty bad hit, but haven't heard anything about an itinerary change yet. Sadly, looks like the Gulf Coast is going to catch it...hopefully it will continue to weaken. Thoughts and prayers for those still in it's path....
Another user, Humba, just returned from Grand Cayman on an evacuation flight and says GC is destroyed. No water, no electricity, hotels are uninhabitable. War zone type devastation. Can't imagine your cruise line taking you there. Read this thread:
http://www.scubaboard.com/t72108-.html

Glad to hear all's well Christi!

Scott Riemer:
Another user, Humba, just returned from Grand Cayman on an evacuation flight and says GC is destroyed. No water, no electricity, hotels are uninhabitable. War zone type devastation. Can't imagine your cruise line taking you there. Read this thread:
http://www.scubaboard.com/t72108-.html

Glad to hear all's well Christi!

It will be several weeks before they allow tourists back on to Cayman.

Only those living in Cayman and work crews, relief effort crews are being allowed onthe island right now.

I just cannot even imagine what they are going through and keep thanking God that he spared Cozumel the same destruction. I get chills just thinking about them!

Christi:
Fiesta Americana is fine as well. Keep in mind that most of the structures here are built out of solid cement and alot of rebarb (sp?).

Thats funny to a dopey construction guy. Re-bar short for reinforcement bar. For once I know something. :dazzler1: :dazzler1: :dazzler1: :dazzler1:

Not Christi,

But I did drive by it on Sunday and all looked to be in order. It is protected on three sides by rock. There was a truck full of federales blocking the drive way as I came up to it, so I decided not to stop. But from what I could tell it looks to have suffered no damage at all. The east side in general looked better than I expected. There is a substantial loss of sand on many beaches. Much more exposed inshore than before. Some of the beach clubs lost some of the individual palapa's out front. The road was intact except in a few areas the edge was erroded. There was sand accross the road in several places that needed to be plowed off. There is a significant amount of grass/seaweed on many beaches that is currently rotting and smelling to high heaven. But time will cure that.

Rich

sddiver:
Not Christi,

But I did drive by it on Sunday and all looked to be in order. It is protected on three sides by rock. There was a truck full of federales blocking the drive way as I came up to it, so I decided not to stop...
There is a turtle hatchery right next to the hotel, and the Mexican gov't is extremely protective of those critters. That is probably why the federales were there.

Thanks Rich,

I've got a soft spot for that hotel. The owner has put his heart & soul into it. Glad to hear it was ok, after the close call with Ivan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom