Cozumel = "hell on earth?!"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...and so, you're posting on a Cozumel forum why?
Slumming, from the looks of it. ;^)

No offense intended, chickdiver; in all likelihood I'll never get to dive Guam, Bali, or the GBR. I'm sure they are great.

...and so, you're posting on a Cozumel forum why?

I'm sorry- I didn't realize one had to be enthralled with Cozumel in order to post in the forum? The OP was talking about how he couldn't beleive that anyone didn't just ~LOVE~ Cozumel. I was offering a differing viewpoint and some sound reasoning as to why. I'll take my opinion and go home now, thanks. You guys enjoy "Houston South".

...didn't mean any offense to you, Chickdiver. Like Gordon, I may never have the opportunity to go to the places you've had the chance to dive. And I've also been to places that other people rave about and I just don't get it - nice, but not the best I've ever been to. So I sympathize with your feelings about Cozumel.

It's just that, with so many different forums here, you generally see folks posting repeatedly on a particular one because they have some interest in the place. They're about to go there, have just been there, they have some questions about it, something like that.

No doubt the title of the thread caught your eye. It just seemed weird to me that you posted multiple times on the Cozumel forum when you say you have no interest in the place.

I'm sorry- I didn't realize one had to be enthralled with Cozumel in order to post in the forum? The OP was talking about how he couldn't beleive that anyone didn't just ~LOVE~ Cozumel. I was offering a differing viewpoint and some sound reasoning as to why. I'll take my opinion and go home now, thanks. You guys enjoy "Houston South".

Houston South? You want to explain that one?

We can't decide if we like it or not.

So we will visit again in April. 4th time in 13 months.

Not nearly as experienced as many on here but working on it. We love the diving, the food, the Sunday night festivities, the locals, the east side, the west side, the topside and the bottomside.
Actually we need to try out the south side (other than El Cedral). We have not done anything along the shore in the south.

She's beginning to sound just a little bit elitist, wouldn't you say? ;^)

Absolutely. And, I dont buy her argument about the diving in the Pacific being better. I know people, whose opinion I TRUST, who have been to the West Pac. and frankly they dont like it near as much as Cozumel. They complain to me about the water temp. being too cold, currents too fast and vis not being nearly as good. Her description of reefs in Cozumel being globs make me think she has never been diving in Coz. No one would describe Maracaibo Deep, The Cathedral, Columbia Pinnacles or even Palancar Caves in that way.

I could understand why some people aren't impressed with Cozumel....if you have sand flies and mosquitos up there like we have in Belize, which you must. I see these tourists with really white skin (like native Scotts...kind of like me, being half Scott) and sand flies seem to just love grinding into them. Can't be a lot of fun if you aren't used to them or forgot your repellent.
The West Pac...is that a military term?...doesnt' have them. But it does have the strong currents and Indo has thermoclines....like that's a bad thing?

Absolutely. And, I dont buy her argument about the diving in the Pacific being better. I know people, whose opinion I TRUST, who have been to the West Pac. and frankly they dont like it near as much as Cozumel. They complain to me about the water temp. being too cold, currents too fast and vis not being nearly as good. Her description of reefs in Cozumel being globs make me think she has never been diving in Coz. No one would describe Maracaibo Deep, The Cathedral, Columbia Pinnacles or even Palancar Caves in that way.

Wow- that was just a little insulting, don't you think? FWIW- I don't give a rats rear end if you "trust" my opinion or not. It's mine- and I am entitled to it- just as you are entitled to yours. FWIW- I've been diving for well over 20 years, and I've been to quite a few places. If you guys like Cozumel- I'm happy for you- I simply thought it wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom