Unknown Cozumel: Horrible dive accident...

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sexagenarians?
My mistake. Septuagenarian.

A person between 60 and 69 is called a sexagenarian. A person between 70 and 79 is called a septuagenarian. A person between 80 and 89 is called an octogenarian. A person between 90 and 99 is called a nonagenarian.

He means septagenareans. Sexagenarians are 60-69

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Please refrain from attempting to make humorous comments. Someone has died and was found under unusual circumstances. We hope to learn more about what happened prior.

This is still the Accidents and Incidents subforum and proper decorum shall be maintained.

I know a number of people who are older than 77 who regularly do shore dives in Sydney, much harder I imagine than at Cozumel. They have no problems.

I assumed that was in an attempted to identify the tank's source.

Claims for life average expectancy for white males vary with sources today from 73 years to 83 and I don't know who to believe. I've known divers older than I am, today 76, but very few. Last summer at 75 I was debating scuba retirement when I was hit by a series of problems that kept me hospitalized for three months and even today after extensive healing and therapy I wouldn't put a tank on my back - certainly not with enough lead to dive my 7 mil suit. Some Sexagenarians are tougher than others but I'd suggest limited expectations. One fellow I knew who was older than I but seemed tougher than I am dropped dead last month.
Sorry to hear you're on the benches, at least for awhile. I hope you can get more dives in before you retire. Is skindiving something you'd be up for still?

Sorry to hear you're on the benches, at least for awhile. I hope you can get more dives in before you retire. Is skindiving something you'd be up for still?
Do you mean snorkeling while making breath-hold dives to observe aquatic life? I did that some before I got certified for Scuba. It's simpler. I didn't know about shallow water blackouts.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Please stick to the topic. Any further off topic posts will be removed. What's on topic is trying to learn more about the deceased woman's accident. How did this happen? Who was she diving with, etc.?

We have established that older people can and do shore dive, however, we do not yet know if that is the case here.

Horse manure yourself. Were you there? Did you see it with your own eyes? Do you know for sure that anything actually happened? You are 3000 miles away, but somehow you know enough to pass judgement on the people who were on the scene? No to all of the above.
Generally speaking, someone isn't dead until they're declared that way but a medical professional. Doing CPR on someone you "know" is dead is pretty common in the First Responder world.

This does sound rather odd that nobody was assisting. And where were all the diver/passengers? Still diving? If so, who was watching out for them if everyone was circling the not-dead dead guy.

So many questions...

Generally speaking, someone isn't dead until they're declared that way but a medical professional. Doing CPR on someone you "know" is dead is pretty common in the First Responder world.
You'd be surprised in how many jurisdictions a "reasonable person" can declare a person "deceased"..... Back to my previous comment, it is common for EMTs, etc. to do CPR on dead people for whatever reason. Investigators hate it and we're trying to change that mindset. Thousands of crime scenes get "ruined" because people moved dead people, did CPR on them and covered them in sheets/blankets, etc. This is especially true in today's age of DNA and trace evidence.

This does sound rather odd that nobody was assisting. And where were all the diver/passengers? Still diving? If so, who was watching out for them if everyone was circling the not-dead dead guy.

So many questions...
My understanding (from talking with a Medical Examiner - friend) is that a first responder (at least in Oregon) is obliged to initiate and continue resuscitation until a medical professional can declare death.

Back
Top Bottom