Cozumel Incident 9/4/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for posting that.

Nothing more to be said really.

Sorry if I missed it but with all the thread splits etc ya never know.......the one thing that should be said is how Texas Torpedo knows what he does as FACT and not as mere speculation in relation to this specific incident. I tend to believe him before the others but I think it is worth stating his source. Perhaps he could do so (again).

Reactions: Jax
Sorry if I missed it but with all the thread splits etc ya never know.......the one thing that should be said is how Texas Torpedo knows what he does as FACT and not as mere speculation in relation to this specific incident. I tend to believe him before the others but I think it is worth stating his source. Perhaps he could do so (again).

He posted this first:

I'll answer this first and then I will be back with a more detailed response.

Vladimr makes a good point that this topic offers educational value. I am new to this forum, did not know it existed, until I started following the post on Trip Advisor about this accident. Since, as I posted earlier, I had experienced a downdraft and had NO IDEA what I could have done differently, I have learned a lot on this board. I will say that where I was when it happened afforded me no oppurtunity to grab anything solid as I was alongside a sand wash. My quick descent had me tumbling as opposed to a controlled descent, and last, adding air to my BC at depth did not appear to resolve my descent. It had to have been a lessening of the current that allowed me to swim out of it. Again, I would like to re-emphasize a statement I previously posted, and that is when you come across an event that you have not experienced before, you are not an "experienced diver" to that event. Only your training, physical fitness and your ability to not panic and think through your problem will decide your outcome.
As a diver, you will experience the unexpected, and the emphasis on training and education is paramount to participating in this sport with a modicum of safety. When I first got certified, I did dives every chance I had, in all manner of differing conditions. I was addicted to it, be it warm water or cold water, I just could not get my fill. Over the last 6 or 7 years, my diving has been limited to a couple trips p year to ONLY warm waters. At my age and other life interests, that is by choice. Each time I enter the water now, my skills are noticeably diminished and I consider myself once
Again a novice. This is probably a good thing, it keeps my ego in check and prevents me from being overconfident of my abilities.
Many of you on this board are quite experienced but please keep in mind that we who are reading this may not be and the educational benefit of this post could be life-saving.

I'll answer this first and then I will be back with a more detailed response.

Bounce dive to 300 fsw. Max depth 350+ for Gabi & Opal. 21% back gas. Single tank each. No deco bottles or support divers. No technical training. I'm guessing that the tanks are either AL80 or AL100 as ScubaMau did not have steel tanks, or that is the answer I got when I inquired when I last dove with them.

No, there was no so-called down-current. It played no role in this incident.

Well if your are stating the facts about the dive plan....then what happened? Did 2 of them run out of air because of narcosis, currents, other? Where did it go bad that they had to buddy-breathe a tank to the surface?

Hey Texas before you post your long story this is from post 24 here:

Not to be a stickler for rules I just want to see what you have to say without you getting banned or posts getting deleted.........

BTW Dandy.......never mind it looks as though your original comment I was referring to was deleted by moderators so skip it..
Those were not my rules. They are the Special Rules at the top of this forum, which many miss reading.

So let's say a diver or dive employee discovers one day that going past 130 can be done with air......wow that was cool......next day 140...150...160....200....225....250.....Ok now it is not just cool it is now about bragging rights......I am better than that diver or I am better than that diveshop owner......sure everything is fine until it isn't.........bragging rights totally out the window and a plethora of issues is now raised. BTW this isn't a story I will just say this and that will explain it......

(6) If you are presenting information from a source other than your own eyes and ears, cite the source.

I don't need to site a source......

Reactions: MMM
Hey Texas before you post your long story this is from post 24 here:

Not to be a stickler for rules I just want to see what you have to say without you getting banned or posts getting deleted.........

BTW Dandy.......never mind it looks as though your original comment I was referring to was deleted by moderators so skip it..

To me, WSOPFAN, your post leads like a veiled threat. However, you are new to SB so let me share some facts with you:

• As someone who has had a long history of being edited by mods (including having my posts edited and/or deleted, being asked to improve my behaviour, and being asked to voluntarily ban myself from a thread) your first infraction only leads to being banned if you do something insane, like be blatantly racist, intimate threats, etc.. The SB mods are restrained and they are excellent. IMHO TT will not be banned for the post you dislike, or for follow-on posts;
  • TT can make his life easier by clearly differentiating between what he believes to be true (and why) and what he knows to be true (and how);

Finally, welcome to SB, WSOPFAN. If a post offends you, please feel free to report it and indicate what is offensive.

Reactions: Jax
To me, WSOPFAN, your post leads like a veiled threat. However, you are new to SB so let me share some facts with you:

• As someone who has had a long history of being edited by mods (including having my posts edited and/or deleted, being asked to improve my behaviour, and being asked to voluntarily ban myself from a thread) your first infraction only leads to being banned if you do something insane, like be blatantly racist, intimate threats, etc.. The SB mods are restrained and they are excellent. IMHO TT will not be banned for the post you dislike, or for follow-on posts;
  • TT can make his life easier by clearly differentiating between what he believes to be true (and why) and what he knows to be true (and how);

Finally, welcome to SB, WSOPFAN. If a post offends you, please feel free to report it and indicate what is offensive.

No problem dude I just meant to say that I really want to see what he has to say about the story if he wants to follow the rules or not is totally up to him. It was definitely not a threat of any kind......

I think he knows his way around here very well and is experienced at reporting.

Let me throw out some of what is pure speculation on my part:

• A boat was involved;
  • A boat captain was involved;
  • Other divers were witness;
  • Other divers took part;
  • A wall of silence has been erected around the occurrence (save for a few isolated posters);
  • Being treated for DCS is expensive;
  • One would not want reckless behaviour to invalidate insurance;
  • Some divers have developed a "reputation;" and
  • The Cozumel dive community is tight-knit so peer pressure plus self-preservation is keeping "those who know" silent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom