Cozumel Incident 9/4/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
David, thanks for what has to be the most informative and seemingly trustworthy account for what happened.

I doubt we every hear the actual and turthful details from any of the victims as I suspected so from the beginning. Likes others have said, there are people on the island that actually know what happened. Someone has picked up a computer and saw their depth. Word is going to get around especially with something of this magnitude and not to hurt or flame the victims, but it's going to get around and it's not going to be far from the truth. These details have not just all of a sudden surfaced but is what has been known by those in the know since the accident happened. I believe this account to be true as reported and doesn't vary one bit from what we all already knew. In the end, it's still second hand.... which unfortunately, is all I suspect we ever get.

Secondly, there are those online that would most certainly see this release of information by a competing operator as an underhanded jab at another business, essentially throwing them under the bus, which couldn’t be further from the truth.

Excellent point and one I made earlier as it relates to possible legal ramifications.

Reactions: Jax
I have to call BS on this post........depth to 102ft GRADUAL assent up to 80 ft... 50 min into this dive and still 1600 psi? What's that give a SAC of about 0.0001?

...Steel 120's?

All the best, James

Really? He already explained why.......

There are many people passing around the same info about the incident. This info was coming out eventually so what is with the alternate agenda stuff?

You just reminded me that I need to put you on my "ignore" list.

You just reminded me that I need to put you on my "ignore" list.

Let me ask you this.....
What would people be talking about IF the ambulance that went to get them crashed....or the chamber had some sort of catastrophic failure.....OR the plane coming to get them crashed.....

Last edited:
Is dive gear "impounded" in cases like this in Cozumel? Does the chamber doctor have access to the data to help in the treatment?

Yes, the doctor should have the Dive Computer Info. Indeed they do but as of now that is private info that cannot b published here.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Since then all the hints have stopped and we have heard nothing but crickets. Notice that not a single person with inside knowledge--and there are many such people--contradicted it in any way.

Yes, and I find that looking at who exactly "likes" a post in this thread is very telling. Re-reading the post and seeing what info is being "agreed" to makes quite an agreed *almost* statement of facts. :wink:

I have to call BS on this post........depth to 102ft GRADUAL assent up to 80 ft... 50 min into this dive and still 1600 psi? What's that give a SAC of about 0.0001?

Depth charge, I think you entirely missed my point. This dive took place in August
2004. My log of that dive shows maximum depth of 102 ft. Total time for the dive was 64 minutes. I reiterate I gave approximate times and the facts of the dive as I remember them today. The fact remains that my previous dives did not prepare me for this event nor did any training come to mind other than to stay calm. I have been on many drift dives, been caught in what is called a "washing machine" in the Exumas, fought currents in several places around the globe but never had I so quickly and completely felt momentarily helpless. This board is the FIRST ONE that I have found the even addresses the phenomenon of down currents effectively. I have noticed that many posters will take a couple words of a statement and do a tangent on those words while completely missing the message of the post. How is that helpful?

Your Safety and Convenience is our Commitment
DiveYYouuYntil you are low on air!
yourYou
Your safety and convenience is our commitment.
Dive until you are low on air!

This is a quote from the website of the company with which these divers were affiliated.

I do not wish to disparage this SCUBA company and understand that many people have fond feelings toward them and their mission to serve SCUBA divers who wished to come to know Cozumel. I understand that this incident has wrought great pain.

Tragically, I think this statement on the website speaks to an error in their mission, judgement, planning, and practice, at least as demonstrated by this incident.

May others learn from them. Pride, ego, bravado, over-confidence, ignorance, carelessness, foolishness- whatever you want to call it, it leads to heartache that is unfathomable.

Never stop learning. Gain experience gradually in conditions and with equipment with which you are trained and familiar. Equip yourself and your entire team for challenges and contingencies that can reasonably be expected to occur even if they have not occurred on previous dives. Do not push the limits of your training, experience, comfort, or equipment. Do not participate with team members who push these limits for themselves. Do not over estimate your ability to overcome that which you have under estimated!

Not everyone is an airhog. Those numbers don't sound unusual for a drift dive - particularly for a woman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom