Cozumel Incident 9/4/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What silence is happening now? First diver posted with a false account of the dive. Second diver has been talking and his message has been posted here and elsewhere. He is not trying to shift blame either. Third diver is fighting for her life, and is unable to to talk.
You apparently missed the news earlier that there were other divers on board the boat at the time, possible doing similar profiles.

What silence is happening now? First diver posted with a false account of the dive. Second diver has been talking and his message has been posted here and elsewhere. He is not trying to shift blame either. Third diver is fighting for her life, and is unable to to talk.

For some odd reason, some people expect others to publicly confess their 'sins'. :shakehead:

You apparently missed the news earlier that there were other divers on board the boat at the time, possible doing similar profiles.

I thought they said the other divers were hanging out at 60fsw . . . :confused: I took that as a regular drift dive?

I thought they said the other divers were hanging out at 60fsw . . . :confused: I took that as a regular drift dive?
It's unclear--it has been stated both ways. That's why I said "possibly." I think Qnape's point is the interesting one--we have not heard from any of them.

Reactions: Jax
There was a post by someone saying there was a unconfirmed story about other divers on the boat doing a similiar deep dive to the first group. Not as deep, but a deep dive.

I admit I've dived Coz once, in the southern west areas, so I [-]may be[/-] probably am coming from a point of ignorance.

1. I remember all our dives were pretty close to shore. I understand this wall is "right out front" of their shop. In other words, you are not too far from shore.

2. Ever since I've broadened my diving horizons, I have been mentally prepared to be 'left behind', due to a possible emergency. I have faith that another boat would be along to provide support, maybe just a rope line if they couldn't take us aboard, but at least we'd be informed and understand what's happening while we wait for a pickup.

Question: Why couldn't the Cap'n abandon his other divers to get these three ashore?

ASSUMING (yes, I know what happens when you ass/u/me) the other diver's DM would pop an SMB, get the divers together, and await pickup?

Awaiting education. Asbestos britches on. :popcorn:

If in fact other divers were also doing a deep dive was anyone certified / qualified to lead that group? Were they customers or more friends? And why haven't we heard from them? Are there legal issues keeping them silent? So much risk and absolutely no safety system in place. It's hard to believe that 6 divers put their faith in everything they had to in order to best their max depth recorded.

There is a fine line between customer and friend. Someone was paying for that boat.

IF there were other divers on the boat and they were also doing a dive past recreation limits I am not surprised they are keeping quiet. But IF this is the case it goes someway to explaining why the decision was made to return to the water - if they knew that other divers potentially had a long deco obligation and could not surface. I`m sorry no matter how much of a habit it is and how fast they are I just don`t buy that a captain with 3 badly bent divers would be changing tanks but I do buy that he could have been in an impossible situation and could not really stop anyone returning to the water

I think it is a reference to the other group of divers in the water at the same time

Correct, and thank you. I was referring to cicopo's question as to why we have not heard from the other team of deep divers on the boat. I can't imagine they will be in a big hurry to comment, for what seems to me to be obvious reasons. They'll have little to add since Gabi has been so forthcoming, and, I would think, not be in a hurry to advertise their involvment.

There was a post by someone saying there was a unconfirmed story about other divers on the boat doing a similiar deep dive to the first group. Not as deep, but a deep dive.

It is not an unconfirmed story it came from Gabi's mouth yesterday. What we don't know is if they were customers or doing a pleasure dive like these 3. The post did say they were diving shallow on the wall.

Correct, and thank you. I was referring to cicopo's question as to why we have not heard from the other team of deep divers on the boat. I can't imagine they will be in a big hurry to comment, for what seems to me to be obvious reasons. They'll have little to add since Gabi has been so forthcoming, and, I would think, not be in a hurry to advertise their involvment.
Sorry Qnape for my misunderstanding of your previous post. I agree with the above quote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom