Cozumel or Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been to both a solo diver. I found the dives good but limited to 2 a day in Belize - plus got stuck with some reef trashers on the boat. Consider Scuba Club Coz. Good shore diving and plenty of macro ops. 2 boat dives in am and optional afternoon and dusk/night boat dives. Very easy to make friends. A little slow in bar scene but if you're doing 4-5 dives a day... Plus you can walk 10 minutes into town if you want. Frig in rooms. No stove but it's all inclusive with good food. Coffee is ready at 6 just steps from your room. Just be sure to tell the dive ops what you want and they will accomodate.

We've been to both. A lot what was already said is very true.
We did our Belize trip aboard the Sundancer in July 2011. Here is our trip report. New Page 1
We've been to Yucatan coast 7 different times. Diving Coz is my favorite place. But as said, each is different. Sundancer cost $2500 plus airfare for a week. But food, drink & 5 dives a day is included. I loved the diving in different locations of Belize. In July 2011 each dive in Belize was NOT drift diving. A lot of picture taking possiblities.

Coz is cheaper. I really love drift diving. I've found an AI ($1400 per person for a week) plus diving at $34 per dive. Here is that trip report. New Page 1
I love diving but 5 dives a day is too much for me now. But Belize was a great trip. The Occidental Grand is near the South end of the island. Therfore, less travel time to the dive sites. Also, the local dive shop (Dive Palancar) was fantastic. They also offer 4 dives per day.

Hopes this information helped, but I'd place both places on my "bucket list".

Cozumel and Belize are both popular places, and you will have no trouble finding someone to buddy with. Shore diving will be limited or non-existent at each, depending where you stay. Both places are way down on my list of places to dive in the Caribbean, due to the nature of the diving and the fact that there are a lot of divers there. (both a plus and a minus). You might consider a third alternative: Roatan. It meets you list of desires better than the other two.
DivemasterDennis

Just returned Saturday from a week on the Belize Aggressor III, my wife and I could not think of anything that could have improved our trip, great diving ,great food, and a great crew.

How about timing of the year?

Belize, being a few hundred miles more South, might have warmer weather by a few degrees during the winter.

Having been to both Cozumel & Grand Cayman in roughly the same period / winter month, Cayman was 10+ degrees warmer.

Then factor in how far your dollar goes.

Coz is the clear winner, IMO. I did my very first dive trip in Belize back in 1988, and it seemed impressive then, but even a lake is impressive for your first dives. I went back in 2002 and stayed/worked as a guide for a bit. I know that it has been a while, but I gotta say, I am not a big fan of diving in Belize, nor am I a fan of the Commonwealth prices for everything (pizza, beer, etc.). The inner cayes are dull and boring in terms of diving. And don't be fooled by the marketing that there are nice beaches on the inner cayes, 'cause there ain't. Mangrove, which is cool in its own right, but can be a let down if you are expecting toes-in-the-sand. There are a few nice dives around the outer cayes, but nothing truly great. For example, Turneffe is only good right on the "Elbow". And the Blue Hole is impressive from the air, but not so much as a dive (the nearby Half Moon is pretty Ok though). I did my DM in Coz and guided there for a bit as well, and while it doesn't have much of the BIG stuff (with the exception of seasonal Eagle Rays), the walls are amazing, and the viz even more so. And Coz is a better place to be for a solo traveler, especially with PdC across the channel. Just my opinions...

Back
Top Bottom