Cozumel-post Wilma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubawife:
I'm really looking forward to diving in Coz again in a few weeks. I'd bet that even sites that received damaged will still be far superior to several other places in the Caribbean. And, unless you've been on a site almost daily, there's always something that looks different or that you didn't notice before. I haven't been that many places and have only just over 100 dives in the past 3 yrs, but from what I've seen, I know that hurricane or no hurricane, for my time and money there are two places that will never fall short of my diving expectations - East End, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. They will stay on my annual trip list!

Much accuracy in what you say, Coz is superior to most dives places in the Caribe. A bad day in Coz is better than a good day in some other places.

100 dives in 3 years is a fair amount of diving. Good for you.

It seems logical to me that deeper sites, like the ones in Coz, would sustain little to no damage from storms, while a shallow dive site would be more vulnerable.

>re: He said the restoration work was painstaking and that Conanp hoped to volunteer sport divers in the Cancun area would help.

Is there an effort on this front for volunteers to aid with the restoration?

rpm

skinic,
I'm headed for Cozumel on 12/4 to also dive with Aqua Safari. My original AA flight to Cozumel was cancelled. Instead, AA is flying me into Cancun. How are you getting to Cozumel. What is the condition of the road between Cancun and Playa del Carmen? Is the Cancun shuttle still running from Cancun to Playa? Is the Playa - Cozumel ferry still running on schedule? Thanks!

CoyKoi:
skinic,
I'm headed for Cozumel on 12/4 to also dive with Aqua Safari. My original AA flight to Cozumel was cancelled. Instead, AA is flying me into Cancun. How are you getting to Cozumel. What is the condition of the road between Cancun and Playa del Carmen? Is the Cancun shuttle still running from Cancun to Playa? Is the Playa - Cozumel ferry still running on schedule? Thanks!

We're going 11/23 and also flying into Cancun as we've done before (much cheaper than going straight into Cozumel this time). There is a bus directly from Cancun to Playa Del Carmen (get the direct one or else you have to make several stops), then the ferry is supposed to be running normally. We get back before you leave so I'll try to give an update then.

CoyKoi:
skinic,
Hi, I just returned from Cancun Sunday (11/13). The roads are all fine. The problem is that most of the signs are gone and so are alot of the gas stations on the way to Playa. So make sure your tank is full!! The Ferry to Coz was not running when I left, but I was told that this was due to clean up operations on the island and not to damage to the Ferry itself. The airport shuttle to Playa is running.
The airport has minimal damage. The most noticeable aspect was lack of a/c in the departures terminal. Aquaworld is the only dive operator running in Cancun. I understand from my dive club that several dive operators will be opening in Coz tommorow (tuesday).
Of all of the hotels in the Cancun Hotel zone, only 4 (all the Royal Resorts Hotels) are open. It was really spooky driving around at night with everything dark.
-Sorry to ramble...
Anyway, let me know if there's anything else I could answer for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom