Cozumel Trip Report, January 8-16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LWith58

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This was our first trip to Cozumel, along with a group of 22 (12 of which are divers).

We had a perfect week of weather as far as I am concerned. For the most part the weather was partly to mostly sunny mid 70’s – mid 80’s. It rained hard a couple of times overnight and a quick shower one mid afternoon.

We were actually very lucky with the weather (or maybe it was just good planning). Part of our group flew out Saturday morning just as a winter snowstorm began to blow through and the rest flew out Sunday morning after the storm passed…not a single delay.

We arrived in Cozumel just after a Norte had blown through, had a great week of diving, and another Norte blew in closing the port again…we did not miss one dive.

Hotel Cozumel was nice. The rooms were clean, our bed had a foam pad on top of the mattress and was comfortable enough, and our maid gave us fresh flowers every other day. The pool area was very nice as was the small man-made beach area, we had no problems getting a spot to sit and relax. We took advantage of the all-inclusive plan with the feeling that it was inexpensive enough to warrant dinners at many of the great restaurants in town. Breakfast and lunch were always decent at the resort and dinner was hit and miss.

Hotel Cozumel’s location was great for our group as well, close to town for the non-divers and the divers utilizing small fast boats to get to the dive sites quickly worked out very well for us too.

When we did go to town for dinner we made it to La Choza, French Quarter, Prima and Casa Denis, a few of the others in our group also went to Guido’s and Pepe’s. All were very good and we had exceptional service at Casa Denis and Prima.

Diving with Blue XT~Sea was as advertised and then some. We dove with DM Pedro Pablo all week, he was absolutely fantastic, with the briefings, handling the gear, pointing out lots underwater and helping the less experienced divers get comfortable. He also clearly made adjustments as the week went on, as he watched and learned how we all dove. The captains were equally as good all week helping out with gear and getting in and out of the water. Christi truly runs a top notch, professional operation. I highly recommend Blue XT~Sea.

Sites we visited:
Palancar Bricks, Horseshoe, and Gardens.
Paradise twice, once at night and once on our last day.
Santa Rosa
Columbia (deep)
Tormentos
San Francisco
Yucab
Cedral

It’s difficult to pick a favorite; I’d say it’s a toss up between Horseshoe, Columbia and Santa Rosa.

A few of us took Wednesday off from diving and went to the main land to tour Tulum and visit Xel-Ha. We had a great day here as well, the Tulum tour was very interesting and Xel-Ha was great, we could have spent a whole day there. It was definitely a great diversion while off gassing a bit mid week.

My wife and I had a really great week and can’t wait to go back. Unfortunately we have the next year’s trips already planned out, so it’s going to be a while before we can go back to Cozumel, probably in the fall of ‘06.

Lee

Appreciated your report. Some good information to think about for my first trip to Cozumel.

Bison

LWith58:
This was our first trip to Cozumel, along with a group of 22 (12 of which are divers).
Sites we visited:
Palancar Bricks, Horseshoe, and Gardens.
Paradise twice, once at night and once on our last day.
Santa Rosa
Columbia (deep)
Tormentos
San Francisco
Yucab
Cedral

It’s difficult to pick a favorite; I’d say it’s a toss up between Horseshoe, Columbia and Santa Rosa.

A few of us took Wednesday off from diving and went to the main land to tour Tulum and visit Xel-Ha. We had a great day here as well, the Tulum tour was very interesting and Xel-Ha was great, we could have spent a whole day there. It was definitely a great diversion while off gassing a bit mid week.

My wife and I had a really great week and can’t wait to go back. Unfortunately we have the next year’s trips already planned out, so it’s going to be a while before we can go back to Cozumel, probably in the fall of ‘06.

Lee
Thanks for the report! Nice pics as well. Makes me want to go back asap. Maybe mid-year...

I haven't been to Santa Rosa yet, but I'd definitely agree with you on Horseshoe and Columbia.

Xel-Ha is a wonderful place. My non-diving wife loved the snorkeling, and it made for a great day of sun and water (and food/drink).

Jerry

Great report and pics. I'm planning to dive with Christi in Apirl and am really looking forward to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom