Trip Report Cozumel: Winter of the Seahorse, food & lodging info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rmssetc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Cozumel trip report, Dec 23/Jan 4

Here's Yet-another-Cozumel-trip-report, from my Dec/Jan trip. Since there are so many reports, and this was my 9th (8th? 10th?) visit, I'm going to emphasize differences and new discoveries and skip a lot of basics.

Logistics:
Phildelphia to PDC, then the bag drag. Door-to-door (home to checked into the hotel), about 8 hrs. That's about 2 (3?) hrs longer than PHL with a connection somewhere (ATL, DFW) to CZM, but it avoids leaving before 5AM and the stress of a flight connection (and hoping luggage will make it too)

I'd do it again.

Lodging:
Stayed in Hotel B for 6 nights. North hotel zone.

Quiet, great service, nice pool and access to the water. Nice breakfast, but just barely early enough to get a cab down to marina by 8AM. Quite variable charges from cabdrivers to get to the marina, including one who demanded about 70P more than the rate card, which he refused to show me...

Getting into town for meals is an added complication, but not overwhelming.

We've stayed there before (June), and would do it again.

Stayed at Tamarindo B&B for 8 nights. Calle 4 & Ave 20.

Wonderful -- the nicest small hotel/air B&B we've stayed at. Clean, great breakfast (vegetarian), early enough to make it easy to go diving. Tamarindo has a full kitchen for guests, nice public spaces, a hot tub, a real swimming pool (heated, 10' deep, enough for confined-water lessons), and the nicest yoga studio on the island (clean, good floor, good mats & blocks).

Very much looking forward to staying there again.

Meals:
Beyond the usual suspects that we've enjoyed before (Guidos, La Conchita del Caribe, La Cucina Italina, El Chino Marinaro, Miss Deleites, El Morro, K'ooben Laab) which were as good as usual, we went to a few new restaurants:

Vegan Barrio (with the restuarant 'pop-up' stalls on 10 Avenida Sur, betweeen 3 & 5). Vegan takes on typical cuisine, but different from the vegan menu at Coral (Ave 10 between Benito Juarez and Ave 2, at the Hostelito Cozumel). Good food, generous portions, Would go again.

Tentaciones, 15th between 2nd & 4th. A nice place for breakfast/lunch, very similar vibe to Cozumelenos (another of our favorites). Would go again.

Diving/Marine Life:
Dove with Liquid Blue. Contact me for more details.

This was the Winter of the Seahorse. I've seen one (two?) in Cozumel before, but they were distant, indistinct, and camouflaged. This winter, we saw seahorses on almost every dive on Yucab and Cedral. Other critters of note were a baby shark, a few [distant] eagle-rays, a small turtle (dinner-plate sized), an extended/close swim-by from a reef shark, and a lettuce-leaf nudibranch, plus the typical species.

Lots of pictures here:

Cozumel Dec 2023

The coral bleaching was really noticeable, and it feels like there were fewer turtles, fewer eels (none seen swimming), fewer eagle-rays, and drum fish (none), than 3~5 years earlier.

Nice trip report and some really great macro shots! Thanks for sharing.

Quite variable charges from cabdrivers to get to the marina,
I believe Liquid Blue picks up at Marina Fonatur. Did you consider any dive op closer to where you were staying or that left from Puerto Abrigo, especially when you stayed at Hotel B or is Liquid Blue your go to op?

Thanks for the report - GREAT PICS - always get some new info out of each trip report.

I believe Liquid Blue picks up at Marina Fonatur. Did you consider any dive op closer to where you were staying or that left from Puerto Abrigo, especially when you stayed at Hotel B or is Liquid Blue your go to op?

Thanks for the report - GREAT PICS - always get some new info out of each trip report.
I tend to alternate between Liquid Blue and Aldora. Aldora certainly would have been closer and easier in some ways -- a cab from Hotel B to the Aldora Villla would be less than 10 minutes, but getting a cab at the northern hotels first thing in the morning can take a while.

On the other hand, I'm not fond of bringing my wetsuit (and hood, and boots) back & forth to the boat each day (and rinsing it after diving, when I really want to get lunch), and Liquid Blue takes care of that.

3P would have been another good alternative -- they handle gear, and meeting at their shop would be a little closer than going down to the marina.

Overall, the transport to/from the northern hotels is a minor inconvenience...if that's the biggest hassle, then it was a good trip.

Glad you liked the photos.

Awesome pictures- love the shot of Green turtle swimming at you. Really cool. Thanks for sharing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom