Crazy Cabbie at Edmonds!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZAquaman

Contributor
Reaction score
I did a little freediving at Edmonds Underwater Park Friday afternoon. I thought I would report a bit of strange behavior of the locals to see if anyone has had similar experience or might offer an explanation.

I started dropping down on one of the boat wrecks out there. When I'm about 10 feet above the wreck, I suddenly see a Cabaezon at full throttle comming right at my face. I slow down and the thing keeps comming! So, now I'm back pedaling... it's not slowing down... Finally... whack! He/she rammed me right about chest level. So I'm thinking the "crazy cabbi" is having a bad day, I'll go look at something else. Next stop a pile of metal debris. I drop down nice and slow.... another "crazy cabbie" comes charging at me as I get within a 10 feet of the debris. This one is not so brave and breaks off the charge short of contact.

Any ideas? Is it mating season? Are they guarding their nests? Do they hate divers who don't make bubbles? Are they just tired of having their privacy invaded (too much poparazzi)?

Please share your thoughts and experiences...

You got it: they can be quite territorial while guarding eggs. We were out Friday afternoon and had no problems. They are actually quite a bit calmer now that most are off the nests. They were quite a bit more aggressive a month or so ago. My guess is you were over Jetty Way where one of the more interesting tenants lives.

They are pretty harmless, other than surprise nudges. Our funniest encounter was taking Cabazon photos and watching my dive buddy get closer and closer until the Cabazon decided he had had enough and rammed his dome port from a couple of feet away. They definitely will go after divers with bubbles.

I understand that the local ling cod used to be fairly aggressive during "egg season," but I have not seen this type of activity the past few years in the Park.

Have Fun!

Dan

Hmm, never heard of such a thing :eyebrow:........... okay, I'm not a very good liar :D. The Cabezon at BHUT aka EUP are reportedly more aggressive than most places in the area. Almost everyone I know, has been hit by a Cabbie at Edmonds.

So learn a new game ... cabbie tennis. A good backhand sends 'em tumbling, and you don't even have to retrieve the "ball", since as soon as they stop spinning the stupid things'll come right back atchya.

Just avoid the fins ... those spines will go through a glove, and your hand, rather easily ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I see I'm not the only one these Cabbie's go after. I've had them "pseudo charge" before when I was snapping pictures. They have always backed off though and only charged me when I was "in their space".

I've seen the ling cod behave aggresivley when sitting on a pile of eggs. They were easy going Friday though... here's a picture of one lazy fellow.... Nice set of chompers...

Attachments

• ling.jpg
    ling.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 73

Back
Top Bottom