Creating wreck panoramas beyond the limits of visibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nicool

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi all,
I have long been a fan of Nicolas Barraque's wreck panoramas, for he shoots extra-large wrecks, typically over 250ft/70m in length, and manages to turn them into a single image!

The conventional way to shoot wreck panos is to choose a spot near the center of the ship, and from there rotate and shoot images with at least 30% overlap, then get your favorite editing software to do the hard job of assembling them (which works quite well). The problem is that it only works with smaller wrecks, those which you can see whole from one view point.

For larger wreck, you have to swim along and take images from various viewpoints, and then... assemble the whole thing manually in phototshop, and this is what Nicolas Barraque has been doing since 2006, creating images of these comlete wrecks and grabbing a number of photographic awards in the process.

I am so grateful that he accepted to share this technique as a detailed guest post, on The Underwater Club's blog. Enjoy the read!

I am so grateful that he accepted to share this technique as a detailed guest post, on The Underwater Club's blog. Enjoy the read!

Magnificent!

Back
Top Bottom