Cressi Frog Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wetsuit_

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone have experienced with these Cressi Fins? How do they compared to RK3 and Mares Avanti Quattro? Fins recommendations are needed. Thanks!

W

There are Cressi Frog and Cressi Frog Plus fins:

The Frog is the older design and offers good power, ability to reverse kick, and is a solid performer…but takes a stronger leg. I bought a pair for my wife for use with her drysuit as her drysuit boots would not fin the fins she used with her wetsuit and neoprene booties. She in turn stole my Cressi Reactions and left me the Frogs. I find the Frogs to provide great power/propulsion whether flutter kicking or frog kicking, and they reverse kick well too. The downside is they are stiffer than my Reactions so my feet tend to cramp a bit if I haven’t used them in awhile.

The Cressi Frog Plus is a totally different design than the Frog fins…they are smaller/shorter and much more flexible. I found they were too flexible and lacked power. I found this fin to be easy to over kick, meaning the blade bent and lost thrust when kicking with effort. I am not a fan of this fin.

The Avanti Quattro is a popular fin around the world and is a far better fin than the Cressi Frog plus.

I have no experience with the RK3 but I have a set of Scubapro Jet fins that I have had since I got ow certified…they are a great fin with lots of satisfied users and lots of similar designs on the market, the RK3 seems to be Apeks’ slant on the Jet fin design albeit lighter and less negatively buoyant.

Overall, my preference is the Cressi Reaction, and I steal mine back when my wife is not diving with me as I find they provide a great balance for performance, comfort, and price.

-Z

If you're looking for suggestions, and perhaps individual advice, it might help to say a little more about ....
  • What kind of diving you currently do.
  • What kind of diving you expect to do in the near future, if that's any different from your current diving (i.e. technical, cave, sidemount, etc)
  • What kinds of kicks you do, or want to do? (flutter, frog, reverse, etc)
  • Whether you've had any problems with other fins, or cramping, etc.
Mares Avanti Quattro
Check the used-market, these frequently pop up at inexpensive prices on ebay and other places. I have a pair, and they're a decent fin all around, and I think I got mine used for about $40 including shipping.

I really like the ScubaPro Seawing Nova for flutter-kick propulsion. However, I have difficulty making them do a good frog-kick or reverse kick. These are my primary "casual" fins. I haven't tried the Gorilla version yet, but would like to.

I've heard really good things about the RK3, but never tried them myself.

If you're looking for suggestions, and perhaps individual advice, it might help to say a little more about ....
  • What kind of diving you expect to do in the near future, if that's any different from your current diving (i.e. technical, cave, sidemount, etc)

Check the used-market, these frequently pop up at inexpensive prices on ebay and other places. I have a pair, and they're a decent fin all around, and I think I got mine used for about $40 including shipping.

I really like the ScubaPro Seawing Nova for flutter-kick propulsion. However, I have difficulty making them do a good frog-kick or reverse kick. These are my primary "casual" fins. I haven't tried the Gorilla version yet, but would like to.

O
There are Cressi Frog and Cressi Frog Plus fins:

The Frog is the older design and offers good power, ability to reverse kick, and is a solid performer…but takes a stronger leg. I bought a pair for my wife for use with her drysuit as her drysuit boots would not fin the fins she used with her wetsuit and neoprene booties. She in turn stole my Cressi Reactions and left me the Frogs. I find the Frogs to provide great power/propulsion whether flutter kicking or frog kicking, and they reverse kick well too. The downside is they are stiffer than my Reactions so my feet tend to cramp a bit if I haven’t used them in awhile.

The Cressi Frog Plus is a totally different design than the Frog fins…they are smaller/shorter and much more flexible. I found they were too flexible and lacked power. I found this fin to be easy to over kick, meaning the blade bent and lost thrust when kicking with effort. I am not a fan of this fin.

The Avanti Quattro is a popular fin around the world and is a far better fin than the Cressi Frog plus.

I have no experience with the RK3 but I have a set of Scubapro Jet fins that I have had since I got ow certified…they are a great fin with lots of satisfied users and lots of similar designs on the market, the RK3 seems to be Apeks’ slant on the Jet fin design albeit lighter and less negatively buoyant.

Overall, my preference is the Cressi Reaction, and I steal mine back when my wife is not diving with me as I find they provide a great balance for performance, comfort, and price.

-Z
Cressi Frog not Forg plus, they are too flexible and can be overdriven.

Open water, temperature between 12-16 all year with one piece 7mm wetsuit and layer. Planning to do sidemount and cave/wreck in the future, which means all kinds of kicks are needed. I never had any problem with other fins, except buoyant fins like seawing nova and regular RK3 really made my legs float with thick wetsuit.

Open water, temperature between 12-16 all year with one piece 7mm wetsuit and layer. Planning to do sidemount and cave/wreck in the future, which means all kinds of kicks are needed. I never had any problem with other fins, except buoyant fins like seawing nova and regular RK3 really made my legs float with thick wetsuit.
If floaty fins have been an issue, the Sidemounting.com guy has done fin-reviews where he tests the bouyancy. I'm not an expert myself here, but you might dig into some of his videos.

Cressi Frogs were my first fin, long, long ago. I used them happily for a while, but I eventually decided I wanted something less stiff because of a rapidly deteriorating knee. I replaced them with Mares Power Volos and sold them. Then I had a knee replacement and realized the Mares fins didn't have the versatility I needed--they are for flutter kicking. I wished I had the Frogs back.

If I had those Frogs today, I would happily use them.

Reactions: Zef
Cressi Frogs were my first fin, long, long ago. I used them happily for a while, but I eventually decided I wanted something less stiff because of a rapidly deteriorating knee. I replaced them with Mares Power Volos and sold them. Then I had a knee replacement and realized the Mares fins didn't have the versatility I needed--they are for flutter kicking. I wished I had the Frogs back.

If I had those Frogs today, I would happily use them.
Used Cressi frog fins can be found fairly inexpensive if you are still pining over your long sold pair…check eBay.

-Z

Used Cressi frog fins can be found fairly inexpensive if you are still pining over your long sold pair…check eBay.

-Z
Here's the problem. When I wished I had them back, I was by then working for a dive shop that did not sell Cressi, so buying a pair was not an option. It is an option now, but I am thoroughly stocked with fins these days, so the only reason to buy them would be for the sake of nostalgia.

Reactions: Zef

Back
Top Bottom