Cressi-sub vs. Mares

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaresMan - How do your Navy Seals Buds feel about the airtrim feature? I have the dacor nautica air trim and love it. I've been thinking of the morphos or dragonfly to get the mechanical weight release (I just lost a weight pouch diving in the St Laurence river).

The air trim is so convenient and easy to use.

Crosing,

They still don't like it but they now respect it. One comment that I thought was valid, is that it does use air to empty the BC and does not work at all without air. But they also said that neither do we (shouldn't be running out of air). The Cressi does not have this issue.

Everything else about they liked (surprizingly) and I love. However, I completely agree with WLO93, find the BC that works best for you. I know I did :)

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
:mean:

With all due respect, I disagree. My Transpac (now my sons) does not pack as small as the Morphos (considering the back plate).

Maresman - a Transpac is NOT a backplate and wings.

Consider a Koplin travel backplate with a 27 pound Halcyon or 30 pound Oxycheq wing. Total height - maybe 1.5 inches, total weight, 2 pounds. Fits flat on the bottom of a suitcase like you wouldn't even know it's there.

Please don't tell me that particular package is bigger than a Mares Morphos, or whatever it is you're packing.

A Koplin travel plate weighs 2 pounds. It is thin, lightweight, and sturdy as all hell - a buddy dives doubles with it in Mexico.

Koplin Plates - check out the travel plate at the bottom

And here is a picture of my Oxycheq 45 pound wing - note that it's not the even smaller or slightly thinner Halcyon 27.

wingside.JPG

I suppose you also need a STA - the Koplin STA weighs a single pound.

Total package 4 pounds. Drop the plate in the bottom of your suitcase, lay your wing gently on top and you're done. No folding, squishing, packaging, etc.

I'll say it again - For ease of portability, there is NOTHING as simple as a backplate and wings. Nothing packs simpler, lighter and smaller.

I've been using a Mares Dragonfly Aria for the last couple of months while using Cressi Aquapro5 for OW-training. I would definitely reccommend the Dragonfly. It fits perfectly and is a lot less expensive than the Morphos.

I would like to thank you all for your great information and opinions. I hope to be able to get the right one for myself and the wife very soon. Thanks again and I look forward to reading all the good info in the future.
:D

Boogie,

This is exactly what I mean. I had the Transpac backplate which weighs 5 pounds. My Morphos weighs in at less than two pounds and packs smaller. Plus I have the advantage of the Airtrim system. No contest!

While I totally respect your decision in your choice of BC's, it doesn't work for me (been there done that; won't go back).

Plus the BP/W acts like a sail in heavy current, I don't need that kind of problem in recreational diving. If I were a Tec/Rec, Cave or Deep diver, I might agree with you, but in my case BP/W is not worth it.

The Morphos is all that I need as I only do warm water diving.

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
:mean:

question on the Mares Air trim system. I have been looking at the Dragonfly system and really like it. But I am not sure about the new rerouting of all the hoses with the pneumatic inflator. If your inflator valve stuck open and inflated your BC, would it be easy to disconnect your inflator hose? I noticed that it is somewhat hidden. Better question, would this even be an issue with the new inflator system?

The upside: Nice integrated weights, inflator/deflator has very fine control (and doesn't dangle), no squeeze, very comfortable.

The downside: It's heavy (not great for travel) and as MaresMan said, the inflator/deflator stub sticks out about 3" which could possibly be an entanglement hazard in some situations.

Overall, I've found it to be a great BC.

I know that the back inflates hence the dragonfly. does it still inflate around the sides????

Tim

El Orans:
I've been using a Mares Dragonfly Aria for the last couple of months while using Cressi Aquapro5 for OW-training. I would definitely reccommend the Dragonfly. It fits perfectly and is a lot less expensive than the Morphos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom