Crime in Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This "car rental conspiracy" thing is total crap and, frankly, an insult. Ask yourself this: what does a rental company gain by "stealing" a few bucks from a client, when the effect of that is that the tourist goes away with a bad taste in his mouth? At the very least that tourist will not rent with that company again, and (bad) word of mouth is bound to get around. The car rentals are as much annoyed with break ins and vandalism as the tourists, as it costs them much more in the long run. They are working with the Justice department to look for solutions. We still see tourists as guests, not money machines.

That being said, it's just about the only crime we have on this island (and where can you expect to find no crime at all these days?).

But the problem is that this seems to have been going on for so long now, that people will naturally start to speculate on why nothing appears to be done. Of course, one could also ask why crime hasn't been solved in NY or whereever. But people look at a specific problem on a small island and it seems like it should be more managable. Even if there are attempts to do something about it, perhaps there's not enough sign of it. I've certainly heard many stories of people reporting things to the police, and the police basically saying "oh well" and not appearing to care. I don't know if those stories are true either, but if they are, that much should be fixable.

I haven't experienced any of this personally - I've been to Bonaire a number of times, but all before this seemed to be so much of a problem. Just because it's the only crime, doesn't mean it doesn't mess up someone's vacation. I know it would send me from relaxed to not pretty quickly. Lots of Carribean islands have little crime, especially crime that directly hits visitors. But this problem effectively targets a specific group doing something they can't exactly avoid, otherwise what's the point of being there? It's not like telling somone to avoid dark alleys at night. I know all the stories have discouraged me from going back.

Sorry Shark, but I agree with P'fogger.

No hard evidence, but this is a pretty good story-7 years ago:

Rented a Samurai from a "Camel" rent-a-car. Lady there was all sweetness and light, kind of came on to me. Had me sign two Visa slips, one for the rental, and one for "deposit" of $250. I balked at the deposit and altho she claimed it was "void" and only insurance purposes, I signed it with my new name, "void".

The car gets stolen, "Club" and all, from Divi Flamingto. I call Camel and she casually tells me to go to Police and make out report. Still she is my best friend on the phone. A little kid from Camel delivers me another Samurai. (The Police report was slowly transcribed in Papimento which is a readable mix of German and English if you're so inclined- signing it gave me the willies, however- we didn't miss the morning dive!)

Later that week- I get sunstrtoke. :uspet: I parked the car at one end of the Divi Flamingo and after rest and rehydration, I come out and can't find it where I thought I had parked. I was looking in the wrong place- the car was just out of sight.

I called Camel and almost before I hung up the phone she and two large goon like creatures were at the DF hotel and they were all threatening me and my party for not locking the car up correctly. The local police were there seconds later.

Obviously we found the car all locked and "Clubbed" twenty spaces to the North. Whoopsie, did I feel dumb. The car was right where I left it, not "stolen" at all!

Curious difference in their reaction between the two events, however.

N.B.- They tried to send through that second Visa slip which I had signed with the name "Void". After it was refused once by Visa Services, they forged my signature over the line. Visa didn't buy that one, either.

Hi SharkOfBonaire (great name M.),

I don't think there is a "car rental conspiracy" on Bonaire, unlike some other carib islands, but the rental agencies could take some actions. They wouldn't cost much money either. I was thinking about:

* painting, tagging or marking all wheels
* providing a chain and lock for the spare wheel
* attaching the number plates to the car in such a way that they cannot be easily removed (it costs around 170 $ if both license plates are stolen)
* providing a metal lock-box in the back of the trucks
* lock for the battery
* metal hose to prevent gas theft

The company that provides these will get my business, even if it is 10 to 20 % more expensive.

A group of us went and we didn't leave anything in the car at all. We took a bit of cash and hid it in the car frame incase we needed money. We had crappy 5 dollar sandels that we put under the seat that were never touched. We did see one car that had smashed windows when we came up from the dive that had apparently left expensive underwater cameras sitting on the seat.
They warn you and I would listen to the warnings. They also advise you don't night dive because of crime.
Though these facts were disheartning we had a great trip and I would go back anytime.

A few years back the government/tourism board of Bonaire came up with an excellent idea for securing vehicles at dive sites.

Every day, a small van with snacks and water for sale would position itself at a drive up shore dive site and park for the day. It's mere presense was to be enough deterrent so as to obviate the rampant problem of property crime against parked cars.

What happened to that process and idea?

Bonaire is probably safer than any other Caribbean country/island in terms of personal safety for the regular traveler. Unless you're drunk and asking for it you'll personal safety is relatively assured- but isn't that something we all know?

Bonaire's reputation suffers over other Caribbean dive locations because of what it has to offer- "drive in diving". No place else does this occur, so you have to write this off to a crime of opportunity in the broadest sense. If we parked and dove like this in almost any other island, the result would be the same.

Do the smart stuff. Leave windows open, or better yet, leave a sunbather to watch your car. What did you bring in the car that you don't need for diving- it's all with you below except for your cheap sunglasses, shirt, pants and towel. Money and driver's licenses are waterproof.

Go to Bonaire and have fun. Don't sign anything at the car rental agencies that you shouldn't. Bonaire diving should not be missed and the food is worth the trip!

RoatanMan, that idea is reality today with the DiveBus; it's at a different dive site every day, selling snacks, spare parts etcetera. So if you want to make sure that someone keeps an eye on your car, follow that pink bus.
And you're right, it is pretty safe here. After being here for 9 months now, I still have to see my first bar brawl (even though some people know how to get very drunk). As a contrast, Curacao is up to 36 murders already.

I can't imagine which company you're talking about. I know a couple have disappeared over the last few years, maybe as a result of these tricks? Like I said, it's just not good business; the rental companies want their customers to have a favourable experience, and you don't establish that by ripping them off. Most people come back to Bonaire, after all. I can vouch for at least one of the companies that ripping off is not on the agenda... because I'm its manager. And I know my competing colleagues, I can't imagine that they would try this sort of thing.

As for possible measures: Of course we could hang locks and chains all around the car... we could even build full armor around it. But at what cost? PeCeDiver, you may be willing to pay the extra money, but most people would rather run the risk if it means a lower price; that's what insurance is for, after all. And thiefs are very resourceful.

I can understand the trouble people (especially Americans) have with the police. It's a known problem, and something the car rentals can do very little about. Pay is low, the best officers leave Bonaire because they can do better in the Netherlands. Plus, Antillians are a proud people which sometimes reflects in their attitude. We are trying to make filling out a report easier, so the customer has as little trouble as possible.

Let's keep things in perspective, "full armour". Except for the lock-box, we are talking about minor adjustements to the car: some paint, some secure screws, a couple of padlocks, metal pipe and a chain.

That isn't too much to ask, is it. It certainly would make it more difficult for the thieves and it would take away all doubt that there is no rental car scam going on.

IMO, less tourists would stay away from Bonaire, if such actions were to be taken by the rental car companies.

Stupid question time.

Why would I possibly want to go someplace where I need to take the type of measures that have been suggested in this thread? Emptying my car and securing my valuables are what I would do if I were forced to go to the slums of Boston or New York for some reason. Its not what I expect on my vacation.

To suggest that people should accept it is absurd. Better to suggest that Bonaire clean up its act.

I'm certainly aware that several Carribean islands have issues with security and with tourist safety. However, there are still places where you can go and not need to worry about the locals looting you blind. For example, I've been to Grand Cayman and Bermuda several times. I've never experienced any security issues, despite the fact that I took the time to explore both islands, on foot and in a vehicle.

Reports of rampant looting, such as those described in this post and in others on this board, are precisely the reason that I won't go to Bonaire.

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...
Stupid question time.

Why would I possibly want to go someplace where I need to take the type of measures that have been suggested in this thread? Emptying my car and securing my valuables are what I would do if I were forced to go to the slums of Boston or New York for some reason. Its not what I expect on my vacation.

To suggest that people should accept it is absurd. Better to suggest that Bonaire clean up its act.

I'm certainly aware that several Carribean islands have issues with security and with tourist safety. However, there are still places where you can go and not need to worry about the locals looting you blind. For example, I've been to Grand Cayman and Bermuda several times. I've never experienced any security issues, despite the fact that I took the time to explore both islands, on foot and in a vehicle.

Reports of rampant looting, such as those described in this post and in others on this board, are precisely the reason that I won't go to Bonaire.

NorthEastWrecks, I gotta disagree (with all due respect).

Rampant looting? Looting you blind? You may be stretching this a bit. There were a few isolated incidents reported on this thread. I wrote one of them. I have been to Bonaire and Grand Cayman and can honestly say I felt a lot safer in Bonaire. I get a lot more bang for my buck there too. IMO Grand Cayman is one of the most expensive places in the Carib. Not to mention the cattle boats and general "snobby" attitude toward Americans (unless of course you are a milionaire or celeb).

As far as Boston or NY, you don't have to go to the slums to get ripped off. I was once mugged in broad daylight in downtown Manhatten. Try talking to the cops inNYC. The response was something like "maybe you folks should just stay in VT".
Boston? Well I was just reading another thread describing divers cars being vandalized in Cape Ann. Slashed tires, keyed cars and board with nails placed behind tires (covered in leaves) so you get a flat when you leave.

It's all common sense folks. Dont leave that $1,200.00 Ikelight camera/housing on the front seat in full view ANYWHERE you go.

But then again, I guess I'm just a dumb ol country boy:D

BTW, I havent taken the keys out of my ignition in about 6 months. Except a few times to use the bottle opener.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom