Crown of Thorns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sydney_Diver once bubbled...
By the way the TT is just about the only predator to a full gorwn COT.
Now what do you think is going to happen when all the TT's are taken ?
Just to be clear, I didn't want to change anything about the cycle of nature. And if the moving of a TT causes any change than I disagree with it. And from what the post said I thought the TT was fine and ok after the attack on the COT. Is this wrong? Do TT's dies after attack like bee's?

blackice once bubbled...
Just to be clear, I didn't want to change anything about the cycle of nature. And if the moving of a TT causes any change than I disagree with it. And from what the post said I thought the TT was fine and ok after the attack on the COT. Is this wrong? Do TT's dies after attack like bee's?

Blackice,

Chris may have been referring to the over-collecting by tropical nations for collectors in the ornamental shell trade. The shell is a desirable collectors item and Shinto priests in some area of Japan still use the Tritons trumpet as its namesake implies in their services.

Many people believe it is the scarcity of the Tritons trumpet that leads to COT outbreaks. Although this has not been proven conclusively, the best policy is to observe and take photographs only. If you absolutely must handle the Triton, replace it where it was found.

The Triton’s trumpet is a fair sized mollusk with a large muscular foot. Once it finds a COT, it will use the foot to restrain the COT and rather than sting, it uses its radula – the cutting and scraping organ used by gastropods to prepare their prey for eating – to slice into the COT. It then inserts its proboscis and dines on the soft tissue of the COT. After digesting, the Triton regurgitates spines and other skeletal material. A large C. tritonis may consume up to three COTs a month.

The radula is peculiar to molluscs, and usually is a conveyor-like belt with numerous teeth to do its work. The radular teeth are used by taxonomists to differentiate species, and in some families such as Conus (Cone shells), the “teeth” are modified, to form a barbed hollow dart that is attached to the proboscis. Cone shells use their proboscis to inject the dart into prey and a fast acting neurotoxin known as a conotoxin is then injected. The subdued prey is then drawn into the proboscis and digested. The spent radular dart is ejected with non-digested material and the next is readied for action. The venom from some cone shells such as C. textile and C. geographus has been implicated in injuries and death. The toxin also shows promise for medical applications such as pain moderation.

tj

From my understanding of the situation, an outbreak can occur on any reef that COT are found. In the right circumstances they can produce millions of offspring. Fences have been successfully used to keep in/out COT from areas.

>> Does anyone have a view on what the "right" thing to do is.

Well, I sure do.

The "right" thing to do is, always, always, always, always, always,

LEAVE IT THE HELL ALONE!

The ocean has had WAY MORE than enough "help".

Ignorant Stupidity!

A Helmet snail eats urchins, not COT's!

Family Cassididae, Helmet Shells

The Triton's Trumpet is the only COT predator I know of, other than man.

Triton's Trumpet, Charonia tritonis

Stabbing as depicted in the video may actually create a multitude of COT's; each piece could grow a sea star and the stabbed body is probable going to survive.

I have been successful with feeding TT's and not successful; depends on if they are hungry. :idk:

I agree with Hale in that there is no educational merit in the video other than exactly what not to do.

DON'T cut the COT into lots of bits
DON'T try feeding the COT to helmet shells
DON'T flail around excitedly thinking you are doing the world a favor-you aren't
DON'T kill COT's in Hawaii-they have been a problem elsewhere, but NOT HERE. Leave our wildlife alone!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom