Cruise Diving in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JoeSanta

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My cruise ship dive trip is sold out. I'm docking at 8 am in Roatan(Royal Caribbean). Most trips go out at 830 or 9. What are my options? I don't know Roatan at all. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm researching the boats and shops but there are a LOT of them. I've emailed some and am waiting for responses. What's a good dive boat/operator that will pick me up and take me to a couple of good spots(walls)? Thanks, Joe

I have no direct experience diving there, but I do have a dive booked. I'm diving with Roatan Dive Center on Jan 8th. My HAL ship arrives at 8am and they said no problem with that timing. Good luck!

I have no direct experience diving there, but I do have a dive booked. I'm diving with Roatan Dive Center on Jan 8th. My HAL ship arrives at 8am and they said no problem with that timing. Good luck!
OK, thanks!

Here are some notes I made about various Roatan dive shops while investigating options for my upcoming cruise stop:

Note -- all times/distances are from the Coxen Hole cruise port

Island Diving Center
18 min from pier
Islanddivingcenterroatan.com

Good SB reviews
2-tank boat dive for cruise ship guests, $110 - includes transportation to/from cruise pier
Fully refundable if cruise ship can’t dock or canceled due to weather. Otherwise, 100% refund if cancel >24h in advance

-Will adjust pick up time for cruise ship
-Group divers into beginners, experiences, & pros
-Only 1 diver required, so won’t cancel dive if no one else diving
-Private guide $40/dive

4 boats, size 6-20 people. Look like have shade but not head

Roatan Dive Center
Main Road, Dixon Cove, IB3108
www.roatandivecenter.com
+504 9542-2577 (WhatsApp)
11 min drive from pier

Will adjust pickup time, should be at 7.30a if ship on time, be back about 1p
2023 price (2024 may be different) $113.85 for 2-tank dive (includes tax and transport to/from cruise terminal). Private guide additional $25 + tax per dive
-Select dive sites that day (max depth 60’, max length 60min/dive, but may be shallower)
-Showers/restrooms available back at shop
-Payment via PayPal.
-Offer refund if ship can’t dock due to weather or change of itinerary
-3 boats, largest 14 passengers
-Boats have shade, no head
-Only need 1 diver minimum (so won’t cancel if don’t get other divers)
-Said # of divers depends on group but Marine park rules at 8:1 diver:guide
Do you group divers by ability or does everyone surface together?
Ans: As above:
For those divers who we have never dived with then each dive has a maximum depth of around 60ft/18mtrs (or shallower)
and a maximum of 60 minutes in duration (Air permitting)
For those divers who find themselves low on air earlier, then the Divemaster will have the Group back at the boat around the 45-minute mark
and have them complete a Safety Stop and Surface. The remaining divers will be able to dive longer if tank pressure permits.

West End Divers
15 min drive from pier
Good SB reviews
West End Divers, West End Road, West End, Bay Islands
+504-9513-2287
westenddivers.com
$90 for 2-tank dive for cruise ship guests

Coconut Tree Divers
coconuttreedivers.com
504.8795.8323 WhatsApp
email@coconuttreedivers.com
Good SB review & Trip Advisor reviews
15 min from pier

8.30a-2p; 2-tank $110 (including transportation) - separate boat just for cruise ship passengers so they make sure timing is right. Private DM $25/dive/person
  • 1st dive is typically deep (80-130’) along walls or wreck, 2nd dive is shallower
  • Prefer cash, 6% credit card surcharge; also accept Venmo, PayPal. $30 deposit required at booking, non refundable unless ship cancels its port
  • Typical group of 8 divers. Everyone stays together
  • No minimum, will dive with 1 diver
  • Boats are covered, no head

Turquoise Bay Resort
Good SB reviews
35 minutes from cruise pier

Anthony’s Key
Good SB reviews
18 min from cruise pier
Diving for non-resort guests is on a space-available basis

Sun Divers
Good SB reviews
13 min from pier

8.30a 2-tank dive trip, $90

Boats hold 10-12
Max 6 divers/DM
Deposit required at booking, fully fundable >30d in advance, 50% >15d, 0% <14d
Cash discount

Is there a new pier? Since when are Coconut Tree and West End Divers, 15 minutes from the pier?

What am I missing, Doc?

Is there a new pier? Since when are Coconut Tree and West End Divers, 15 minutes from the pier?

What am I missing, Doc?
There is more than one dock on Roatan. One that Royal Caribbean uses is on the west side of Coxen Hole which is indeed only about 15 minutes from West End. It's a very nice scenic ride from the dock to West End along the southern shore thru Flowers Bay and then across the mountain. I've been by the dock when the cruise ship was unloading and it is one more busy place.

However, if the ship ports at one of the other docks, which are on the east side of French Harbor, then it can be 30-45 minutes to West End. Usually, is Carnival that docks there but I have seen other ships at that one as well. But more than likely, it will be the port at Coxen Hole being that's he's sailing RC.

What am I missing, Doc?

I've updated my post to mention that times/distances are from the Coxen Hole cruise port (where my RCCL ship is docking). Sorry for any confusion my omission may have caused.

My cruise ship dive trip is sold out. I'm docking at 8 am in Roatan(Royal Caribbean). Most trips go out at 830 or 9. What are my options? I don't know Roatan at all. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm researching the boats and shops but there are a LOT of them. I've emailed some and am waiting for responses. What's a good dive boat/operator that will pick me up and take me to a couple of good spots(walls)? Thanks, Joe
IF you ship is out of FL than local time is one hour earlier. So arriving at 8AM is 7AM Roatan time. This was told to me by the local dive shop, JJ Divers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom