Cuba - Isla de la Juventud in late April/early May questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Downing

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are going with a group to do some diving off Cuba's "Isle of Youth" in late spring. All the travel arrangements have been made, i.e., flights, hotel, dive op, etc. so I'm good to go there. But this is my first trip to Cuba, so I have a couple of questions:

Water temperature? I'm hoping for low 80s but that may be overly optomistic.

Viz?

Any "must see" dive sites?

Any "must see" attractions on the island?

American credit cards accepted (I'm thinking not)? How about US cash (I'm hoping so)?

All info, comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

You won't be able to use a credit card issued by an American bank. Your government won't allow it. That would be trading with the enemy if you can believe that. You could take cash and exchange it for CUCs at a bank which is the currency that foreigners can use in Cuba. Several years ago the Cuban government put severe restrictions on the use of american currency. Up until then we ( Canadians ) would tip with American dollars when we stayed at cuban resorts. Any local person who has american dollars now has to exchange them at a bank and pay a pretty hefty fee.

I don't have any experience with Isla de la Juventud so can't give any advice. I stayed on Cayo Largo in Dec of 2011. The dive shop was well run but very bureaucratic. The divemaster/guides were as good as anywhere else I've been in the Caribbean and there were no problems with rental equipment but the business was run by Cuban civil servants and it was a very slow process to get signed up for dives every day. I was there for a week and each day I had to fill in a form and pay for dives in cash. I asked to pay for a package of 10 dives but the guy who was in charge of filling in forms said they don't do that because it would be even more complicated.

The diving was good but not as good as Cozumel or Roatan. They have a serious problem with lionfish. On every dive we saw dozens of the little buggers. As a result the native reef fish are in a real decline. In Cayo Largo there is one dive shop and there was one pro diver who was actively spearing lionfish. He came back from each dive with 12-15 lionfish but on his own couldn't keep up with all of them.

If you want to take things as gifts or tips they really need AA and AAA batteries; they would only take us on a night dive if we provided the batteries for the dive lights. Another thing that the staff at my resort loved were magazines like Esquire, Vanity Fair and womens fashion magazines like Vogue. The Cubans have been starved for the consumerism that we take for granted. They also appreciate children's clothes and school supplies.

I admire you for taking the trouble to go to Cuba. I'm sure you had to jump through a few hoops to organize this trip. It is a very weird and wonderful place.

Your government prohibits you from spending greenbacks there. That's how they made the law, you can't spend US dollars. So, trade those fun tickets in for Euros. They spend in Cuba just fine.

Your DAN dive insurance & Travelers Assist evacuation don't work there either, I don't think. I don't guess any of your insurance works there: medical, property, etc.

Boy, they don't make it easy, do they.

Sounds like Euros are the way to go. I can buy some at my local bank, no problem.

My annual membership in DAN is set to expire soon, so I'll ask them about Cuba coverage when I renew next week and report back. I understand there's a hyperbaric chamber on the island. As far as the rest insurance-wise, I'll just have to cross my fingers and be extra careful.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. Much appreciated.

Boy, they don't make it easy, do they.

Sounds like Euros are the way to go. I can buy some at my local bank, no problem.

My annual membership in DAN is set to expire soon, so I'll ask them about Cuba coverage when I renew next week and report back. I understand there's a hyperbaric chamber on the island. As far as the rest insurance-wise, I'll just have to cross my fingers and be extra careful.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. Much appreciated.
That's their point, yeah. Politics are changing, but slowly. I still remember being personally worried about Cuban missiles aimed our way, and they were nearly fired. A close call at national annihilation is hard to forget.

No one ever plans on getting severely ill or injured, but I have seen 6 carried off by ambulance just in my dive history, 5 of those outside of the US, 2 medical evacuated back to the US to save their lives. I count on DAN to pay any emergency treatment funds needed if I am hurt and fly me back to the US in a private jet at low altitude if needed - neither of which can they do there, IIRC.

I don't know anything about how your group was set up or if it took action about those risks, and I guess you don't?

No, I don't know, but I'll certainly ask.

As far as DAN, I confirmed this morning that they don't cover dive accidents in Cuba.

No, I don't know, but I'll certainly ask.

As far as DAN, I confirmed this morning that they don't cover dive accidents in Cuba.
It's because they cannot send money to Cuba I think. I hope you find good solutions.

Hmm. Some BAD advice here. 1. Travel and diving in Cuba including Juventud are easy. 2. American bank cc's not accepted as US bank will not pay them! (as stated here). 3. US Currency is fine but slight surcharge. I get Canadian but I live next to Canada, I suggest you simply take good ol USA $100 bills. 4. Juventud good diving, formations, wall dives, but drawbacks are a) far to the sites, and b) you are at a dedicated hotel/resort, a little confining for my taste. But you will like the diving, good by Caribbean standards. I am just back from Maria la Gorda and prefer it but comparable. Have a good trip!

Back
Top Bottom