Curacao Ocean Encounters East vs West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My take on renting a car would be to do it:

Staying at Lion's Dive you're quite a bit east of downtown. So if the non-divers wanted to go shopping, they'd have to take a bus or taxi back to the heart of the shopping district - around the harbor/cruise dock. (the brightly colored buildings you see in the pictures) I'm guessing a cab is $10-15 each way minimum from there.

Food options once you leave the immediate area around Lions Dive/Sea Aquarium are close by but farther than I'd want to walk in July. Go to the Rib Factory, it's worth the drive.

Also Tugboat - a good dive nearby - is a 10 minute drive the other way. For shore diving I'm guessing the DiveBus would pick you up at Lions Dive if asked, they're just the other side of Breezes so fairly close. So you'd have transportation to some of the better shore dives.

Doing any dives at Varsenbaai, Habitat, Sunset Waters, Porto Mari - all the really good West dives, you'll want a vehicle. I'd even drive out to OEWest and dive Playa Kalki/Alice in Wonderland on your schedule. We had a really pleasant two dives/lunch there. If you can get a ride from OE to OEWest for Watamula or Mushroom Forest, I'd do that, they're both boat dives only.

Don't even think about a cab from Lion's Dive to OEWest (Kura Hulanda). That must be over $100 Roundtrip or more. LD is in East Willemsted, OEWest is as far west as you can go and still be on the same island. It's probably 30 miles or more one way..

If the non-divers want to play on the beach while you're diving, plan a day trip to Porto Mari or Sunset Waters. SW had one of the nicer beaches I saw, including a small breakwater protected lagoon good for small kids. You'll be wading through it to dive there. Varsenbaai's not bad either but smaller, just a snackshop and small beach. If the non-divers snorkel, there were turtles feeding in about 6' of water just east (south?) of the dock. The owner said they're always there. Last year there were seahorses living a meter up the wall (40') from the 2nd ball mooring also. Ask him to point them out.

What's not immediately apparent is that most of the diveresorts on the west side of Curacao are a fair distance off the main road and there's no improved connecting roads in most places. It's a lot different than Bonaire.

So you spend 10-15 minutes driving from one, back out to the main road, and then onto the next. Assuming you have a good navigator, there's almost no street signs once you leave the main road anywhere out west.

We drove all over Curacao during our week of diving. It would've been impossible without vehicles. Most of the divesites on the west side have improved facilities and tank rentals but not all do. Take your own air to Varsenbaai also, when we were there they had serious cleanliness issues.

And no facilities at all at Playa Jeremi so bring eveyrthing you'll need. Otoh there's a good rental shop at both Playa Lagun and Porto Mari. Bring small change in guilders also, most sites have improved facilities on the beach and charge a small usage fee. SW even charges to use the beach but if you rent tanks from the diveshop, they'll waive it.

btw, Habitat is through the housing development gate...

my .02

Last edited:
Countdown begins!!!!! Leaving Wednesday, 1st dives Thursday AM (7/2 - 7/9). Staying at Lion's Dive and diving with OE, definitely plan to get to OEW and dive with Andreas. My daughter and I are really looking forward to getting in the water. Curacao, here we come!

The best diving is renting your own car. If you feel comfortable. You can get to 95% of all sites with a car.

Back to Reality :{ Made it back after a very long travel day. Left Lion's Dive at 11:30AM, pulled home at 3AM the next morning. Ugh!

Trip got off to a bad start when Miami Airport was closed, flight redirected to Orlando to refuel. Finally back to Miami and missed our connection to Curacao. Had to stay overnight in Miami and got an early flight the next day. Since delay was weather related, American Airlines won't cover anything.

After all the hassles and my daughter not feeling well, she skipped the checkout dive on the first day. Did the checkout dive with a newly certified diver and was very tired. Just getting past the breaker was exhausting. First dive (w/o daughter) to Superior Producer. Very cool dive, but very rough seas and still not feeling great. New dive buddy heaved all over the deck of the boat (poor girl). Skipped the second dive to get back and have my daughter do her checkout dive. Both of us still not 100%, so skipped any more diving that day. Next day, started daily 2-tank morning dives and each day felt progressively better. Last day of diving, we rented a car to drive to OEW. Rental car was a real joy as the key would not unlock and shut off the alarm. Panic was setting in with an hour drive ahead and time running out. Finally got it working and arrived exactly at the 8:15 meeting time. Whew! We dove Sponge Forest and Watamula with our fellow Scubaboarder, Andreas. Great way to end the trip!!! Other commens about Watamula are on the money. What great coral scenery. Andreas has to be the nicest dive master we've ever had. Thanks again.

I should have stayed on the West side as all of the comments about nearby restaurants near Lion's Dive were wrong. Daughter is a vegetarian and there were very few choices. Mambo beach would not serve anything other than their theme night special. Hemingway's was great. Nemo's was expensive and veeeeeeeeerrrryyyyy slow. 45 minutes just to get drink refills? 2 hours to finally get our food? At those prices, unforgivable. I was just getting ready to walk out when our food finally arrived. With the rental, we went to the Boathouse. Great place, though very expensive.

Overall a decent trip. May make it back after I cross a few other desired destinations off the list. Hoping for a South Pacific trip next year (Palau, Fiji, etc.).

Some dive photos have been uploaded to Flickr. Past my upload limit, so more to come later.

Hi Bob,

I am very happy you liked your dives with us out in the west! Feel welcome to join us again whenever you like!

Kind regards from Curacao
Andreas

Back to Reality :{ Made it back after a very long travel day. Left Lion's Dive at 11:30AM, pulled home at 3AM the next morning. Ugh!

Trip got off to a bad start when Miami Airport was closed, flight redirected to Orlando to refuel. Finally back to Miami and missed our connection to Curacao. Had to stay overnight in Miami and got an early flight the next day. Since delay was weather related, American Airlines won't cover anything.

After all the hassles and my daughter not feeling well, she skipped the checkout dive on the first day. Did the checkout dive with a newly certified diver and was very tired. Just getting past the breaker was exhausting. First dive (w/o daughter) to Superior Producer. Very cool dive, but very rough seas and still not feeling great. New dive buddy heaved all over the deck of the boat (poor girl). Skipped the second dive to get back and have my daughter do her checkout dive. Both of us still not 100%, so skipped any more diving that day. Next day, started daily 2-tank morning dives and each day felt progressively better. Last day of diving, we rented a car to drive to OEW. Rental car was a real joy as the key would not unlock and shut off the alarm. Panic was setting in with an hour drive ahead and time running out. Finally got it working and arrived exactly at the 8:15 meeting time. Whew! We dove Sponge Forest and Watamula with our fellow Scubaboarder, Andreas. Great way to end the trip!!! Other commens about Watamula are on the money. What great coral scenery. Andreas has to be the nicest dive master we've ever had. Thanks again.

I should have stayed on the West side as all of the comments about nearby restaurants near Lion's Dive were wrong. Daughter is a vegetarian and there were very few choices. Mambo beach would not serve anything other than their theme night special. Hemingway's was great. Nemo's was expensive and veeeeeeeeerrrryyyyy slow. 45 minutes just to get drink refills? 2 hours to finally get our food? At those prices, unforgivable. I was just getting ready to walk out when our food finally arrived. With the rental, we went to the Boathouse. Great place, though very expensive.

Overall a decent trip. May make it back after I cross a few other desired destinations off the list. Hoping for a South Pacific trip next year (Palau, Fiji, etc.).

Some dive photos have been uploaded to Flickr. Past my upload limit, so more to come later.

Are Ocean Encounters and Ocean Encounters West the same company?

You are responding to a 16 year old thread. I have not heard of an oc-w. Contact oe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom