Current state of Decompression Modeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcbryan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/as...-principals-article-text-dive-modeling-2.html

I'm reading one of your posts from 2007 (responding to LAJim) in which you gave a through answer (for the internet) as to the state of decompression theory past and present. I want to make sure I understand what you were saying and so I'm going to summarize and ask for clarification of a few points.

" Most tables older than twenty years are based on the limited supersaturation model. The Buhlmann model is one example. Physically these models are all incorrect as they assume de novo microbubble formation with decompression. The supersaturations are simply too small."

When you say the supersaturations are simply too small are you saying that the supersaturations are simply too small for bubbles to form solely as a result of the supersaturation (in the absence of pre-existing bubbles)?

When referring to traditional decompression models you say " The model is simple but impossible to reconcile with physics and physiology."

Are you referring to the lack of pre-existing bubbles in this model and are you also suggesting that half-times aren't fixed but change along with work load (referring to your studies in the later case)?

You say " Professor Buhlmann ascribed DCS to exceeding supersaturation in specific halftime tissues. No one else has ever found this to be true. I argued with him on this matter, but he was resolute."

Your argument was that DCS is not due to exceeding supersaturation in specific half-time tissues but rather what...? Growth of pre-existing bubbles or that we just don't know what causes it?

You mention that the bubble models are more realistic and regarding bubble distribution you say "Others such as Wienke’s model have a logistic distribution. In nature, such distributions are always power functions (see books on physical oceanography)."

Can you explain logistic vs power functions regarding bubble distribution?

Can you further explain this "The models will also vary as to whether they employ mass conversation (with respect to dissolved nitrogen) or assume that the bubble density is too small for this to matter. It is an unresolved issue."?

Explain mass conversation please.

Regarding nuclei origin I think your point is that some of it is random, some can be determined by traditional means and some of it is determined by exercise. Is that correct?

What I'm really looking for (in simple terms) is what your thoughts are regarding current decompression theory, what is clearly wrong, what is right and known for certain (if anything), and what a better model would need to address such as perhaps linear offgassing with exponential ongassing or parallel compartment modeling vs in series. What's important and what's not.

I understand that all of it works in practice due to the human trials that have gone on but that's outside of the theory (that's just empirical observation) and that's not what I'm especially interested in.

Thanks and I apologize for the length!

Last edited:
Hello gcbryan:

de novo

Yes, supersaturations are to low and decompression bubbles cannot form. “Seeds” must be present.

Models

Yes, again. You need to change the halftimes and you need micronuclei.

“Bends Tissue”

There is no indication that DCS is formed in certain tissues. ‘Fast’ compartments can give you joint pain and ‘slow’ compartments encountered in saturation decompression can cause pain in the same joint. There is a problem in reconciling anatomical structures with given halftimes [in the sense that we use them in decompression].

Distributions

Log distribution can be seen graphically when we have the log of the number of bubbles [y-axis] plotted against the bubble radius [x-axis]. Power function distributions can be seen graphically when the log of bubble numbers are plotted against log of the radius.

Mass Conservation

Mass conservation is used in chemistry. All reactants produce products. The products are quantitatively dependent on the amount of reactants. This is the basis of analytical chemistry.

Generally, deco models [Haldane, for example] do not account for every molecule of nitrogen. It is assumed that most nitrogen is lost – carried away in the capillary blood flow. This is postulated since there simply are not enough nascent microbubbles to even begin to capture the dissolved nitrogen.

In addition, the number of nuclei is undetermined. Some are caused by thermal energy and some by movement [hydrodynamic cavitation] in the tissue. As you write, this means that table limits must be determined by trial dives.

More to come

I will need to return to this in a later posting. Hang in there!

Dr Deco :doctor:

Hi Dr. Deco,
Just ran across this old thread, and I'm interested in the "More to come" part ;-). Wondering if you have any further thoughts a year later.
Thanks,
Ari

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom