Info Why are tables not taught in OW classes anymore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And for too many people the cell phone is their substitute brain. Back in 2011 when I got re-certified as OW I was taught tables. I didn't have any trouble understanding and using tables and even used them for a year before I bought my first dive computer. Looking back I can appreciate the concept of residual nitrogen staying in the tissues when working on repetitive dives using tables. I understand that some (or many?) instructors don't teach tables anymore. Most charters include a computer with your rental regulator and many won't let you dive unless you have your own computer or are renting one. So, it figures that dive tables are more and more being relegated to the dust bin of yesterday's diving tools.

So, it figures that dive tables are more and more being relegated to the dust bin of yesterday's diving tools.
Your use of the present tense is interesting. What you feel is happening now was completed long ago.

I certified in the last millennium, and I tried to use the tables as instructed on my first dive trip. The first of those dives was a multilevel dive in Cozumel, and I saw that the tables were worthless for the dives I was doing there. As soon as I got home, I bought a computer. My futile attempt to use the tables remains the only time I have seen any diver use tables to plan a dive (outside of instruction) in my life. I taught tables for many, many years, but I'm pretty sure my table-trained students then went out and used computers--for which they were not trained. At least now they are being taught to use computers during their classes.

Right, but my point was what instructors are doing. There are some instructors here on SB that still teach tables. Now, whether the students actually use them is a different matter. I still carry tables in my dive log book as an option. If my computer fails and I cannot rent one my preferred option is to dive my buddy's computer. I understand that some (all?) recreational agencies firmly reject diving off your buddy's computer, and if divers are not carrying tables anymore what's left to do? Sit the dive out or go home. What a pity.

Right, but my point was what instructors are doing. There are some instructors here on SB that still teach tables. Now, whether the students actually use them is a different matter. I still carry tables in my dive log book as an option. If my computer fails and I cannot rent one my preferred option is to dive my buddy's computer. I understand that some (all?) recreational agencies firmly reject diving off your buddy's computer, and if divers are not carrying tables anymore what's left to do? Sit the dive out or go home. What a pity.
I could direct you to the current thread on carrying a backup computer. I always carry two myself.

I heard the same consternation when they stopped teaching buddy breathing on double hose regulators, free ascents, and the loss of remaining gas estimating skills with the spreading use of SPGs. Dive computers have proven themselves superior in nearly every way. Yes, tables are a good learning tool but their time has passed in recreational diving.

I expect that depth transducers integrated with helmet-mounted CCTV cameras will be integrated with dive computers on commercial and military surface supplied dive control consoles in the near future. I doubt there will be all that much complaining unless early versions don't support Sur-D-O2 tables.

I could direct you to the current thread on carrying a backup computer. I always carry two myself.
Sure. And that is another viable option but not for the novice or vacation diver unless you've got money to burn. I can see it now. "Honey, you know that expensive boat cruise with the dinner we were going to take, and that day of guided sightseeing? Well, we can't do it because I have to buy a backup computer and @boulderjohn won't lend me his!!!" :)

If you've got one computer, and it fails, it may be possible to do subsequent dives using a table, but unlikely. Even when diving sites with a fixed hard bottom, my dive profiles are not square. So, if I were to have a computer failure, I will likely find that my first dive may show as over NDL on the table. So, now what? Yes, a backup costs money, but it will allow you to do subsequent dives if your primary fails.

Reverting to tables is most likely not a good solution on most dives. And many dive ops require computers as they've found that's the only way to get reasonable dive times.

I originally learned on tables. My kids learned on computers, but they were also taught how to read tables. I've done some dives planned with tables, but that was a long time ago. Outside of their checkouts, my kids have never used a table.

If you and your wife ski in Colorado, you can buy backup computers with the money you save by skipping one day of skiing, and you will have money to spare.

Sure. And that is another viable option but not for the novice or vacation diver unless you've got money to burn.

Recreational DCs don’t have to be expensive. Mine has 1000+ hours on it and I have an identical backup. It does everything I need and cost $250 (there are less expensive options). Your choice to pay more…

I’m currently a new diver and dont even know what I need in a computer yet. I’m kicking old school with SPG, compass and tables for now. I like learning the ol manual way first anyway to train my brain scuba thinking wise.

I’m comfortable with this right now as my dive partner is geared to the hilt as he dives by trade and instructs. I’m only diving with him while I’m a tadpole.

I have his on hold to start learning from. I just wouldn’t even know what my needs would be at this point.
However I do know I need to get on the computer thing as I start diving with others and groups.

I would have trust issues sharing with a group or a random person though.

Back
Top Bottom