current

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PeterNBiddle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After years of reading (and occasionally feeling anxious) about down currents in Cozumel, I got to experience a real live Cozumel down current today. Here's what happened:

Our first five was a nice nearly current-free run Tormentos. I( was diving sans my wife buddy for the day) At the end, when we were on the surface and getting on the boat, we got a very significant upwelling that smoothed out the chop like glass and slowly spun the boat like a top. Nothing too weird about that, right?

For our second dive we headed north to check out Eagle Ray wall. Our DM checked the current and at the top it was heading North so we dropped in. It turned out we were a decent distance off the wall, as the water underneath us was dark blue and I couldn't see any bottom.

I dropped somewhat slowly because I've been needing more time for my ears to adjust, while others dropped fairly quickly. At about 20 or 30 feet I noticed a distinct shift and I felt like I was heading down faster than I ought to be. Two of the divers in our group looked like they were rocketing down straight under me with at least 50 feet of depth on me and they weren't slowing down. We were on EAN 36 and I became worried about depth. At least one person looked to be shooting past 100 feet while I was watching him and I didn't see him check his depth. (He later told me he hit 121 feet.)

At 60 feet and still deep blue underneath I was kicking hard for the wall and found that it was slow going - the current I was in was both down and out from the wall. I kept feathering my BCD and tried to use the current to plane into the wall. Rather than scrub the dive I figured if we could get to our agreed upon destination - the top of the wall - then the current might be alright and we'd have an okay dive of it. At the least we'd be where we had agreed we were supposed to go.

I eventually made it to the wall at about 80 feet and lost another 10 (my comp says I hit 94 feet max) before i was able to stop. The DM had passed me a minute earlier after telling us to stick together going about 10 knots (okay, maybe less) on her way back out to help others.

Two of us had made it to the wall so 4 were still somewhere else. The two of us (talk about insta buddies! My official buddy was helping the DM with other people) decided to go up the incline to the top of the wall. From there I figured we'd have a better view and could decide if the dive was a total scrub or if everyone else showed up.

Stuck to the wall at 94 feet I never felt desperate - I have an absolutely massive amount of lift in my BC and I'm a decent swimmer so I figured between those two things plus my SMB and 4 pounds of weights I could ditch I could always get up. Once we were on the wall I was also much less worried about going past the EAN 36 depth limit but I didn't want to get dragged to Playa Del Carmen either, so up the wall seemed like a better bet than out into the blue.

The other diver and I made it to the top of the wall and I wrote him this note:

image-557497598.jpg

Yes, "fem" minutes are "few". Stress typo maybe?

So, we waited. And waited. Aaaaaaand waited. Nothing. Not even a bubble. (The current wasn't too bad at the edge of the wall so at least it was a fairly easy wait.) We decided to do our safety stop and surface.

This meant I got to play with my sausage (ha ha ha!) which I always love doing. I filled it up generously, figuring we might be blown all to hell all over the coast and I wanted the boat viz, and I dumped my BC to empty, not sure of what would happen between the wall and our stop. The currents were doing pretty much everything they could to be amusing.

I locked the line at 18 feet and noticed that we were back in a significant down current. I could tell because I kept bobbing down on the end of the line and had to hold on quite tight and some of our bubbles were going down, not up, which is fairly unusual. Bubbles aren't supposed to do that. Additionally a lot of the sargassum that should have been floating above us, on the top of the water, was going down past us to the bottom.

At one point when I checked on my dive mate I saw a funnel about 50 feet behind him. It went from the surface all the way to the bottom and was pulling sargassum and bubbles all the way down to the sand. It was freaky cool and scary looking. He moved much closer to me, and I felt extra good about having the SMB out.

After a proper safety stop we surfaced. I manually inflated my BC to max and topped off the SMB so it was sticking straight up. We spotted the boat about 400 yards north of us picking up somebody. As they were doing that I saw another SMB go up about 800 yards north and a couple hundred yards west of us, so in pretty short order we had been blown all over the place. Our boat captain pinged the nearest boat to us and after a few mins that dive boat came over to us and we told him we were fine and he radioed back to our boat. Our boat then picked up the further out group and then came back for us.

Dive time was 16 mins, float time maybe 20-30, max depth was 94 feet for me and I burned about 1200 PSI.Nobody was hurt, the DM did an extremely good job securing everyone and we dove shallows next and saw an octopus, so I got that going for me.

Last edited:
We were on the same dive site today and while we didn't have any down currents they were swirling all over the place. Glad you and everybody else was ok.

Diving Coz in April...I will be looking forward to missing the downwellings...:D

I wanted to add to this post:

Thanks for posting about your dive. I am hoping not to run into any of these downwellings but if I do you just added to some food for thought for me and my wife to take with us. Like others have posted, I am glad it turned out good for you and the other divers. Sorry I did not add that last night, I was whooped from a long day at work and spaced it.

Last edited:
PNB, So happy all turned out well. Sounds like you thought out your situation and took common sense steps.

Double S

Great report, Glad you had a SMB with knowledge for use. Currents can be wicked up there out of the park. I really like going up there, when conditions allow. You may want to get a radio if you frequent the area.
We've been to Barracuda occasionally in the spring when you exhale, the bubbles go down, and its like your in a washing machine blasting along the wall at 5 knots or so:pilot:. I've also been pinned to the bottom of the end of the San Juan platform on a wild spring morning while others 50' above me were wondering WTF I was doing. That San Juan thing made me thank DM Liang on the deck of the boat for the training given to me over the years. I was wide eyed and happy to be on deck that day... Sounds like your day.
Edit: We've also been up there when there is NO current and you have to (god forbid) fin your way along the reef. Days like those you could take Discover Scuba diver out on those reefs. Just depends on the day...

Last edited:
Scary stuff there.. You did really handled the situation well. I have never seen a funnel under water and not sure I care to. Thanks for the post..

When we went north on Friday the 13th, my DM made me charge my lifeline. (it was at 96% already) and test it. but she is a worry wart.....

Were you on the dive paradise boat? We dove that site on Thursday and there was a DP boat dropping its divers north of our boat. Carlos the DM ended up off the wall and reported that he went from 30 to 140 on a downdraft. We were at the lip of the wall and so just had to deal with the current which was blowing off the wall. Surface conditions gave you a good idea that the currents were going to be nasty.

Back
Top Bottom