Custom wetsuit - Boggled by neoprene types sold by different custom wetsuit companies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm kind of suprised to hear this on a number of counts. First, your profile shows no dives logged and not certified, but you have had a Wetwear suit for 2 years? Second, I'm not sure what you are referring to about the edges and clasps... As far as I know, there are no clasps... just the zipper :confused: Finally If you got a custom suit, how could the fit be poor? They get your exact mesurements, make the suit and send it to you. you then send it back to them with any corrections and they do the final stitching and gluing. Why would the fit be poor?

:confused: are we talking about the same thing?

Lots of people don't bother to fill out the logged dives section of their profiles.:wink:

A custom suit can be poorly made if it were to come from a shop that either has poor quality control or workers with little skills or no skills. I don't know WetWear so I won't comment on their products but just because something is "custom" made, that doesn't automatically mean that it's good.

As far as your question on what thickness to get because you don't know where you're going to dive, the reply is simple: you may need more than one wetsuits depending on where you want to dive.

A typical 7mm wetsuit (1-piece jumpsuit style) probably has a range between 50F to 70F. The lower extreme is for those who have high tolerance cold and the higher extreme is for those who have low tolerance for cold. People have used a 7mm wetsuit either with a 3mm liner underneath or in farmer john style (coverall plus long sleeve jacket) to go down as far as 45-F but those people are probably half polar bear.

A 3mm wetsuit is probably good for between 70-F and 90-F. However when it gets to the 80sF and above, most people would go with rashguard or bathing suits. It's all depends on the cold tolerance of the individual diver.

For some people, 70F and below are called for drysuit.

Back
Top Bottom