Custom wetsuit for child the way to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Consider also that wrists, ankles, etc. are smaller in circumference. The material needs to be stretchier.

I am generally not a big fan of any of the various super stretch suits, except in the case of kids. For kids they are more forgiving of changing propportions and take longer to grow out of. I know henderson has a "junior" line I have had a lot of luck with for the 10 to 15 year old range.

During my last winter trip to Thailand, I bought custom wetsuits for my twin daughters. Top quality sewings with robust zipper's, 5mm neoprene with 70e a piece (place is located in Phuket, from Chalong circle 40 steps towards the pier on the right).

Luvnthelife:
Otter Bay Wetsuits here in Monterey makes custom wetsuits. Their owner Cricket has been making suits for 15+ years. Here is their website and numbers.

http://otterbaysuits.com/
Excellent suits, but a tad pricey.

stevead:
I am generally not a big fan of any of the various super stretch suits, except in the case of kids. For kids they are more forgiving of changing propportions and take longer to grow out of. I know henderson has a "junior" line I have had a lot of luck with for the 10 to 15 year old range.
Super stretch is better for kids, but the best for kids (and the warmest) is skin-two-sides, get it lined with lycra if you have to with skin out as a compromise.

I believe that the very best suit for a young diver is one that uses the stretch material. There are many very good rack suits that use this material. A few custom wetsuit makers offer this material. Another important thing to look for is the suit designed to grow with the child. Will the suit maker be able to adjust the suit for lengthand girth growth? This could add several years to the life of the suit.
Carolyn

Just a thought, but what about a used trilam dry suit just a tad too big. I know it will have a good deal of drag but it would be a lot warmer and would last a lot longer. I see small and extra-small dry suits on ebay a lot and they go a BUNCH cheeper than the suits for old fat guys like me.

Flatliner
aka Robert

Doc Intrepid:
uh, oops... :wink:

I DO hope you enjoy diving with your son, and truly think that a custom suit may be the best way to go!

Dive safe,

The guy with his foot in his mouth...

All is forgiven Doc:D

As for the stretchy material that several people have mentioned, I've heard that's fine for comfort if you get a suit as close as possible to your size but once you start to outgrow it (and stretch it!) you lose the warmth factor because the material is now thinner than it was.

I am taking seriously Carolyn's advice on the suit being designed to grow with the child. I can see having it altered and panels added here or there if it was still in reasonable shape at that point. Thanks Carolyn!!

Stevead, I checked Henderson first because that's what my husband and I both have but the Jr. line only has the full suit, not Farmer Johns, and he is too tall and too skinny for anything to fit him exactly right. He has offered to do his best to fatten up if I will supply the candy and ice cream but I believe I will pass on that offer:eyebrow:

Fuzz

Back
Top Bottom