Cuteness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OH...Melissa !...HOW ARE YA"LL? How did the move go? Do tell!

DSC_0144.jpg

DSC_0215.jpg

DSC_0154-1.jpg

I've discovered we have a duck nest in the yard.(on the other side of the invisible dog fence.) My kids knew all week about it.They don't tell me anything. I'm hoping I'm home around hatch time. I'm hoping the stupid dog doesn't notice when they make their way to the lake.

I just saw this thread. Still trying to catch up from being absent so much in the last couple of months.

Your little duckling is very cute and very lucky to have a home there with you.

I've raised ducks as pets for 15 years. I have a bunch of Muscovies (hissing ducks) with red faces. I've had mallards (kind of like yours), Indian Runners and my favorite is the Pekin duck, friendly and I don't have to worry about her flying away because Pekin's don't fly. I have a Pekin (not Peking :wink: ) duck named "Benita Afflack" who is the sweetest little girl. She follows me every where and constantly tries to have a conversation with me and everyone else that comes on the property. Besides me, her 2 best friends are a rooster and a chocolate lab (duck dog)....go figure!

Anyway, you might want to go to a feed store (if there's one near you) and get some "turkey starter crumbles" which is a normal food for ducklings. They come in 25 or 50 lb bags. Or if you can't find that food try to get some chicken mash. Eating worms is great but, might be a little too much protein if fed constantly. I've never fed Koy food to a duck before but, I'm "assuming" that might be OK but, probably expensive unless it comes in big bags.

I'll attach a picture on the next one.

OH! I just found this! thanks for the feed tips. She IS beautiful! Does your duck get lonely for other ducks? What about the mess? My dog and the duck get along fine too.

Will it be ready by thanksgiving?

Unless Marley snaps first...

he has about had it, I think. The last straw was watching the duck get fed first in the morning. I could see deep despise in his eyes today.

Ya gotta stop abusing that poor dog. I bet you didnt even warm up his breakfast did you?

catherine96821:
OH! I just found this! thanks for the feed tips. She IS beautiful! Does your duck get lonely for other ducks? What about the mess? My dog and the duck get along fine too.

She's actually fine without other Pekin ducks. The other ducks we have are all boys and a different species although they still sometimes go after her...since they're boys, lol. She just runs from them or goes for the pond since my other ducks are not pond ducks. She's got so many other critter friends here that I think she's just fine. When she's not hanging out with the rooster or the dogs, she hangs out with one of my potbellied pigs. She seems to be more of a "people duck" and is very happy. She actually doesn't like the other ducks here, I'm assuming because they aren't the same species.

We have wild mallards that land in our yard every day and hang out for a few hours. They know where to find food I guess. It's usually a male and female always together out there.
Your duck might get lonely in the future without a mate of the same species. She/he might also fly away to look for a mate once the hormones get going. Or she might be so happy that she'll never want to leave. I personally would think about finding a duck friend for her but, it's kind of hard to tell what sex your duck is at this time. The only way to find out (from what I've learned) about sexing a duck is if they were a day or two old. You'll know when the feathers start coming in which will be soon. If you want a male and female without the ducklings, just collect the eggs before they become a clutch of 6 + eggs. Once there's a clutch, the female will start "setting" to hatch.

Hate to say it but, ducks do make a mess, especially on concrete but, can be manageable with a hose. The bigger they are the bigger the poop. With one duck it wont be as bad as having a few. I live on ranch property with a lot of dirt. The area I have a problem with is when my duck sleeps on the back porch at night and leaves me a few trophies for the morning.

Notice how when she's in the pool the first thing she does is poop? It's a duck thing. Not sure what that's about but, it happens.

Oh...also go to the grocery store and see if you can get some "free" day or so old green leafy lettuce. They'll just throw it out anyway. Your duck will LOVE it. Not iceberg...it's not nutritious enough.

Be careful of the dog food. Your duckling is going to want to eat any kibble. Make sure it's not big kibble or choking could happen.

Post more pictures soon!

Lori

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom