cylinder cam bands - Is Steel buckle better than rubber/plastic buckle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Was going to order some regular cam bands to replace the original ones that came with my Transpac. They protrude a bit and I was told that they are entanglement-bait. Diverite has replaced their older style with stainless steel cam buckles. They are about $8 more per buckle (two per Transpac) than the other plastic/rubber ones that they also carry and as I am really pinching pennies this month, would just as soon save $16. But not if there is an issue with plastic/rubber (whatever that material is that most cam buckles I have seen are made out of) buckles failing or cracking or doing anything else that SS buckles would eliminate.

So I'm just wondering if hard plastic cam buckles have a tendency to fail after a while.

Thanks,
Dave

I've got an old Sherwood poodle jacket with a plastic buckle sitting here that's probably been used substantially, and the buckle is just fine. I'm sure as long as you don't run it over with your car or something, it will hold together.

I've got 2 SS buckles on my 36lb Pioneer. For $16, I guess it depends on how upset you will be if your tank falls off underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom